Increasing RAM Size

Jul 23, 2023
Visit site
Hi,
I currently have two 8GB RAM modules running in dual-channel mode at 2666MHz, Corsair brand. I'm wondering if I should add two more 4GB modules at 2400MHz, BALLISTIX brand, or stick with the 16GB setup. I tested the additional 4GB modules alongside the existing two 8GB modules using memtest86, and there were no issues.
Thank you.

Generally you dont want to mix non matched kits of RAM, it can cause some instability thats not always obvious. You might get unpredictable freezes and crashes you wouldnt have done otherwise. MemTest doesnt catch errors very well, its better at checking if RAM is faulty rather than unstable.

Then again if you like to have lots of browser tabs open, or run lots of background programs and it doesnt seem to cause issues for you it doesnt hurt to try. Just remove it if you get too many problems down the line.

Last edited:
As Kaamos said dont mix different values of MHz , without getting too technical the lower figure will pull down the performance of the higher one. Also you should always double what you have providing your mobo can handle it , so for example if you have 8 gb you should add 8 more to make 16 NOT 4 to make 12

CParsons

Staff member
Just went through this. Had this running, and it was dragging my whole system down with random errors and performance.
  • Slot 1: G Skill Intl F4-3200C14-8GTZR, 8GB DDR4 SDRAM PC4-25600
  • Slot 2: G Skill Intl F4-3200C14-8GTZR, 8GB DDR4 SDRAM PC4-25600
  • Slot 3: Team Group Inc. TEAMGROUP-UD4-3600, 8GB DDR4 SDRAM PC4-28776
  • Slot 4: Team Group Inc. TEAMGROUP-UD4-3600, 8GB DDR4 SDRAM PC4-28776
Did some testing with both in, then the G Skill and then the Team Group. The Team Group had better results so left that in. As others already noted, though you can mix RAM, you really shouldn't. But if you're going to.. do some testing of it first.

Also depends on the CPU as if its AMD, you could start getting errors you didn't have before. Intel CPU a bit better.
I tested the additional 4GB modules alongside the existing two 8GB modules using memtest86, and there were no issues.
Thank you.
Memtest may not see the problems. If its a timing issue, you can still get errors. All it does is tests the sticks, it doesn't test if PC works well with them.

Always better to have matching sticks.

checking motherboard website to see if they tested the ram you buying can also help.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru
Apr 1, 2023
Visit site
I agree with Rolfil. It is better to completely replace all the RAM strips. Although I have had 2 memory sticks with different frequencies and from different manufacturers of 8 gigabytes each for several years. Then buy another RAM. And frankly speaking, I didn't notice any difference in performance between the bars with different frequencies and the same one.

Reactions: Brian Boru