If my riser cable

Nov 17, 2020
Visit site
is 3.0 but my GPU is 4.0, should I force 3.0 pcie in the bios, or leave on auto?

Actually, I'm not even sure my riser is 3.0 because different sources say different things.

Is there a way for me to verify? Is it written somewhere on the riser cable?

This link says it's 3.0 whereas this one says it's 4.0.

And once I do know, should I force to whatever number, or leave on auto?

Nov 17, 2020
Visit site
Use an app like GPU-Z to see what PCIe mode your GPU is running in.
Thanks. It says that GPU supports 4.0 but is currently running on 3.0.

So, wait a second, does that mean that I can simply test in the bios by forcing 4.0 instead of leaving in auto mode, to see if signal works? If it does, does that mean my riser is 4.0?

COLGeek

Thanks. It says that GPU supports 4.0 but is currently running on 3.0.

So, wait a second, does that mean that I can simply test in the bios by forcing 4.0 instead of leaving in auto mode, to see if signal works? If it does, does that mean my riser is 4.0?
Sure, you can try. However, I suspect your riser cable may be the limiting factor. Easy to isolate by installing the GPU directly into the PCIe slot and then comparing the results.

Nov 17, 2020
Visit site
Sure, you can try. However, I suspect your riser cable may be the limiting factor. Easy to isolate by installing the GPU directly into the PCIe slot and then comparing the results.
If I try to force 4.0, and it doesn't work afterall (meaning it is in fact 3.0), won't I be stuck without an image signal and with no way to see the bios?