I tried to be helpful and post a link to these forums at PC Gamer main site,

Status
Not open for further replies.
The comments in articles appear on Disqus.
Discord is used for chat
I have wondered what forums are for in the past.

Disqus is something that existed before forums were set up and it was kept as it was how people at time were used to commenting.
The mods on there are different to the ones on here. I don't think I know any of them besides admin.

I could guess why it was removed but it would just be a guess.

Hello can I post links here
Depends what they're to. More info:

Read a few threads to get a feel for what's acceptable, if you're still unclear, read this:

Zloth

Community Contributor
and the comment was held for review because of the link and then deleted by a mod. I've emailed Steven Haines for an explanation. Why in the world would they delete a link to their own site?
They still do it. I posted a link to one of my screenshots in the Media section and the whole post was removed.

If they aren't going to allow ANY links, then they should just say so instead of saying they will review the content.

Reactions: Pifanjr
Yeah, it's Disqus. Thanks for looking through all my posts, though!

It's also really easy to ask what's going on and why here. Disqus? Nope. You've got to look up PC Gamer support and ask them to ask Disqus.

They need to actually hire mods instead of getting volunteers. Most of the time, they don't even read the posts that are held for moderation. They just delete them. I told Stevie this, but it really isn't her fault. You can only do so much with volunteers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pifanjr

Zloth

Community Contributor
Volunteers!? That makes some sense around here, but maintaining discussions is all Disqus does!! Of COURSE you use paid moderators!

I really don't mind if they don't want to allow links at all, they just need to say so up front. Instead of the system saying the post is being held for review, it should say that the post will be deleted because it has links. Then we can edit our posts accordingly. (The system might still want to flag the post to make sure the poster didn't "edit" it by changing the "." characters to commas or some such.)

Volunteers!? That makes some sense around here, but maintaining discussions is all Disqus does!! Of COURSE you use paid moderators!

I really don't mind if they don't want to allow links at all, they just need to say so up front. Instead of the system saying the post is being held for review, it should say that the post will be deleted because it has links. Then we can edit our posts accordingly. (The system might still want to flag the post to make sure the poster didn't "edit" it by changing the "." characters to commas or some such.)

Yeah, I agree they should just say the post will be deleted, or just say the post can't be made because....

Disqus, so far as I know, doesn't have any moderators at all. All the mods at PC Gamer have been put in place by Future US Inc, which owns PC Gamer. I know they are all volunteers because they asked me if I wanted to be one (poor judgement on their part). I think Disqus just runs the software and servers. Whatever you do with it is up to you.

It's probably just about money. They probably can't afford paid mods, which makes it tough on the paid employees who oversee it.

They need to actually hire mods instead of getting volunteers.
If they were to start paying one lot of moderators they would need to keep it quiet as the rest of us would put our hands up :)

I don't use Disqus so I don't know how they work out who is a mod there. On Discord the staff run the channel, not sure about over there.

Could be some there think we trying to replace them... and in a way...

If they were to start paying one lot of moderators they would need to keep it quiet as the rest of us would put our hands up :)

I don't use Disqus so I don't know how they work out who is a mod there. On Discord the staff run the channel, not sure about over there.

Could be some there think we trying to replace them... and in a way...

You all forum mods are entirely different from the guys/gals over there. There's no comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS