I need recommendations for mobo, CPU, RAM, and PSU for gaming

May 8, 2020
Visit site
My current PC is out of date and it's impossible to upgrade. My mobo (Prime z270-k) is the last of its kind with the 1151 socket so I can't upgrade the CPU (i7-7700k) and it's also not compatible with GTX 30xx Nvidia cards, My PSU is too low for ther RTX 3080 I want to get (650w), so I am asking for recommendations.

For the mobo I do not need wireless or bluetooth. I do need it to have M.2 slots and 4 slots for RAM. I would also like it to be able to upgrade 5 years from now. I'm not sure how possible that is but throwing it out there.

CPU can go either way, Intel or AMD. I understrand AMD is hot right now. I only want the best for gaming.

I will be getting an RTX 30280 so I need a PSU that can handle it (750w) and also NVMe SSDs, 3 fans, radiator, and the new CPU and mobo.

I want to reuse my current PC tower, fans, water cooler, RAM but if there's better stuff out there I'd appreciate recommendations.

You mobo and CPU are compatible with the RTX 3000 series :) Why do you think they're not? PCIe 4.0? It's backwards compatible with the PCIe 3.0 on your mobo.

If your PSU is 650W it's probably fine.

May 8, 2020
Visit site
You mobo and CPU are compatible with the RTX 3000 series Why do you think they're not? PCIe 4.0? It's backwards compatible with the PCIe 3.0 on your mobo.

If your PSU is 650W it's probably fine.

I got the info about the incompatible mobo from here:

http://www.pc-specs.com/gpu/Nvidia/30_Series/GeForce_RTX_3080_Ti/5004/Compatible_Motherboards
It lists every ASUS z270 mobo except the K one which is the one I have. Granted, I'm not familiar with that source but I'd much rather see that my mobo is compatible rather than it isn't.

Any automated spec comparison sites are best avoided like the plague as a general rule.

And in this specific instance, there's no reason why your mobo should be incompatible with the new GPUs. The website's wrong on this one. There's nothing special the GPU will need from a motherboard. It's a GPU, you put it in a PCIe slot, power it, and it works.

May 8, 2020
Visit site
I appreciate the reassurance. I'm still a little concerned about the PSU being 100w under Nvidia's recommendation but I'll give it a try. Thanks again.

PSU recommendations always overstate the PSU you need. That's usually assumed to be to allow for people who have really poor quality PSUs. Nvidia even say "Recommendation is made based on PC configured with an Intel Core i9-10900K processor. A lower power rating may work depending on system configuration."

The graphics card is rated as 320W. Perhaps a bit more under peak gaming load (2080 ti is a 250W card and peaks at around ~290W under very heavy load). The rest of the system including the CPU might use ~200W under load. So you're likely to be fine.

What's the make and model of your PSU?

TRENDING THREADS