I am kinda bad at gaming but I am okay with it.

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
May 11, 2022
Visit site
I played a modern game with that play style, and my oldest son was yelling at me that nobody plays that way, and I need to get the guts to just run-n-gun and get it over with. But then when he played Medal of Honor his modern way of playing, he got absolutely pummeled. Then I showed him how to play it the way he was making fun of me for, and I owned the game. Games are just made to be played differently now.

IMO there is some truth to this but also the type of game really depends.

Your older son might love Quake, Unreal, Duke and Blood and such. Boomer shooters are based around this principle and I love them for it as they remind me of all the 90's games that made me think I was a gaming god until Rainbow 6 and Operation Flashpoint came out and I went "Oh yea no maybe not."

But it's not just rainbow 6 though. It's true that Allied Assault had a very logical way to use cover even if you could take your weight in bullets and live to see another mission. God I loved Moh so much.

If you manage to get your son to play Ready or Not in coop with you he might learn a thing or two about slicing that pie.

Last edited:
May 11, 2022
Visit site
For my part I usually crank the difficulty up at least one notch if I can and usually make it through. Sometimes it comes back and bites me in the arse as well (Descent, Company of Heroes) but most of the time my usual slow and steady type of play/progression gets me nice and immersed and I do okay.

I usually play slow and chip away at challenges rather than barge in. I don't mind kicking a door down every now and then, but I also enjoy staring at it for a long time before I either decide to kick it down or not.

I also suck at PvP games but that's nothing new and nowadays partly because of my gaming setup. Racing games I always do good but FPS type games not so much anymore. When I was younger I was okay at them but nothing spectacular (Top 50 Ghost Recon on the Battle Command servers) but now I'm playing 7 feet away from the TV sitting on a god damn la-z-boy with the keyboard in my lap I ain't twitch aiming for nobody even though I totally could if I was sitting at a desk. We still do "LAN" parties and set our PCs up on tables and suddenly I can hold my own and circle strafe your mom like the Action Quake 2 days but after a full work day at a desk I just don't feel like playing at one.

I play MP all the time but the ones at the moment that give me the most fun are PVE milsims. They are way slower paced and the tension is so intense that it beats apex legends any day for me.

May 11, 2022
Visit site
And there is no way i am ever doing it again, the first and Third Xcom i play maybe once every other year but TFDT.. nope :)

Exactly it's a one and done. I beat Xenonauts a couple notches above normal and enjoyed my time but don't plan on doing it again, ever.

TFTD is so good too but every run I start I get things under relative control and I'm having a blast but then I get hit with colonies or (obviously) the cruise ships and after a couple of those I can't remember what my long term plans are back in the geoscape or generally just dread the next one to a point where I don't have the resolve to keep playing lol. The length of some missions is definitely my main gripe with TFTD but I can't help but play it for a while every couple years and be reminded every single time why I don't finish it.

Come to think of it I never finished Apocalypse either and I remember really liking it. I got a new computer way back when and never re-installed it.

Exactly it's a one and done. I beat Xenonauts a couple notches above normal and enjoyed my time but don't plan on doing it again, ever.

TFTD is so good too but every run I start I get things under relative control and I'm having a blast but then I get hit with colonies or (obviously) the cruise ships and after a couple of those I can't remember what my long term plans are back in the geoscape or generally just dread the next one to a point where I don't have the resolve to keep playing lol. The length of some missions is definitely my main gripe with TFTD but I can't help but play it for a while every couple years and be reminded every single time why I don't finish it.

Come to think of it I never finished Apocalypse either and I remember really liking it. I got a new computer way back when and never re-installed it.
Never to late, cheap on GoG :D

Reactions: Pifanjr

TRENDING THREADS