I am kinda bad at gaming but I am okay with it.

Usually when people talk about skill in games it tends to lean to how good someone is and average/bad players are either called noobs or don't get involved in the discussion at all.

I used to be pretty good at gaming when i was young (late 80s to mid 2000) and even though I wasn't the best at Counderstrike, Starcraft or Diablo 2, I was good enough to be among the "better" players. In Ultima online I used to do allot of PVP and I did pretty good, even though I was a puny "dexer" (Ie a mele character in a game where magic at the time was kinda op).

These days however.. not so much, combination of getting older and jumping around between to many games has made me pretty meh, but i am kinda okey with that. I never realy got in to Starcraft 2 because it was to fast for me, i prefer to build my base defences, and slowly work towards a big attack, somethign that dosn't work well in many more modern RTSsssss.
I love Warhammer Total war but despite my more than 500h, i stil struggle above normal because i never realy manage to learn all the unit varriations in the game, I mean, what the hell is charriots good for? People say they are strong but mine just charge in, get stuck and then die :p.

Warthunder, I do okeyish i guess, some games i get 0 kills, some i get 8, most i get around 1-3. I used to be pretty good at Battle field 2-3 well i had above 2 in KD anyway, but that started dropping in Battlefield 4 to around 1, never tried BF1 or 5 and 2042 was... meh so never played it much.
I spent a total of30 minutes testing a moba but people were so toxic even to obvious firsttimers that i just never bothered again, probably not my kind of games anyway.
I play mostly SPgames now, gave up on time consuming MMOs years ago (got other hobbies to take care of as well) and even though being bad at a game to the point where it sometimes gets frustrating, yes i never managed to finnish Pathfinder Kingmaker on normal and gave up, I still have fun playing games.

So what is my point to this? Well, even if you are like me and sometimes suck even on easy, you can still have fun.

It is okey to be bad at games!

P.S, I have beaten Terror From the Deep on Veteran :p D.S. (In late 90s though hehe)

Well, even if you are like me and sometimes suck even on easy, you can still have fun.

It is okey to be bad at games!
Absolutely, it's all about the immersion & fun factor when playing a game, especially if it's single player only, or the single player campaign of a game that has single player, co-op, or other multiplayer options.

I've never had an interest in MMOs or other multi-player type games, I've always been SP games only. I have no problem adjusting the difficulty level of a game (if the option exists) to reach my "comfort" level, and there's a fine line of balance there between challenging but not frustrating to get that level of enjoyment and still feel a sense of accomplishment when I finish a game.

I never really thought about whether I "suck" or not in any of the games I play, even though I most likely would in a co-op or multiplayer environment (depending upon the game). Much depends upon the balancing of the different difficulty levels that the developers have created. The majority of the games I play are on "normal" and I'm fine from start to finish. Other games I've adjusted the difficulty as I play, either up or down, to hit my "enjoyment balance" point. A few games, like Bethesda's Elder Scrolls & Fallout games, I actually mod to make them more difficult.

I'm okay with how I play because I have fun, and it doesn't affect anyone but me, even if my "skill" varies from game to game.

To me, games are meant to be fun. That doesn't mean difficult. Or a challenge... just entertaining. Dying all the time isn't fun.

As long as you have fun, who cares how you compare to others.

So playing on easy isn't bad at all. Depends on priorities, and time. And if you just want to see end.

Most of the games I play don't have an easy option anyway. TL2 I modded it to make it more challenging but only after playing it on and off for 10 years. Needed something new.

Only game I wouldn't play on Easy is Sacred 2, mainly as its too easy and non rewarding, There is such a thing as too easy. Game made up for it by having 5 difficulties.

Last edited:
I almost never play on easy, the default difficulty for me on any game would be "normal" or "Hard" 😁
Usually it's normal, unless the "normal" of any game was actually insanely hard, then that would make me go crawl to easy or something.

Also, playing games are about having fun, and that means different things for different people, whether it's a city building game or an FPS shooter game.

Doesn't matter if it's a relaxing game or an adrenaline pumping one, the important thing is to have fun, right? 😁
Everyone's different, and chasing different experiences.

Also, I'm an average player on most games I play. 😋

At 64, and no longer playing mp, I can relate to what you're saying Jarl. I recall the days when I used to play MoH Spearhead mp on the German side (because I preferred their weapons). I knew when to take cover when multiple opponents were spawning in, but also wasn't afraid to come out in the open and go toe to toe one on one, strafing while shooting and timing a melee finisher when the other player reloaded. I would also often defend a noob being picked on. A particular one I recall liked to hide in bushes. I would smack him in the shoulder with my rifle after killing all the bullies, and he'd say "Danke".

Now I only play sp. There are many games that start out feeling like they're too hard, but I usually study them carefully to find ways to beat them, sometimes even on hardest mode with no upgrades. So while I on one hand agree gaming is mostly about having fun, it can also be fun to persevere and find ways to beat a game or game difficulty mode you thought you couldn't.

Lately I'm playing Spider-Man Remastered. I never play full on fighter games, so these ones that involve lots of hand to hand and combos can be hard for me. My reasoning for getting it though, is the many gadgets and suit powers and mods you have access to, can somewhat make up for a lack of fighting skills. It was the same with the Batman games for me. I'd start out feeling really clumsy, but once I acquired a full arsenal, and mastered the stealth, it became much easier.

I'm playing Spider-Man on the default "Amazing" difficulty. As I said when I started the game, I wasn't feeling too amazing at that point, more like wannabe Spider-Man. Since unlocking all the gadgets, skills, and suit powers and mods though, I've managed to beat even the hardest combat, drone, bomb, and stealth challenges with an Ultimate score. This makes me think I have a chance at beating the game on Spectacular mode, but I will definitely have to get better at avoiding big hits from rockets, assault rifles, and brutes.

So essentially it's my reflexes that have suffered the most as I've aged. I like to think my experience has given me the ability to work out strategies to deal with such problems though, like retreating to places out of reach of RPGs, or getting to the places those enemies spawn at BEFORE they start shooting. Which brings me to my next worst aging problem, my memory. I often get too caught up with the melee action I'm engaged in to remember to do such things before it's too late and I lose half or more my health.

Lastly, I have to say Jarl, you mentioned a lot of mp games you've tried that I would never dare play even when younger, so I'm wondering if when you say you're "kinda bad at gaming", it's because you compare yourself only to mp players?

Last edited:
I also am not great at games. But then my yard stick is the streamers I watch so the bar is pretty high.

I too got above average at Counter Strike but that took many years of playing and I let it go a couple of years ago so I'm back to square one really.

I'm not too bothered though, as Colif said it's an entertainment industry and games are meant to entertain.

I play a lot of games on easy as the fun for me is watching the game unfold not getting frustrated.

I'm decent at some games, but some games I'm bad at simply because I don't play to win. In Civilization for example, I don't care about optimizing my build order or getting the most points, I'm just role playing my little nation. The same is true in Crusader Kings, where I mostly just screw around without really caring about creating a big empire in the most optimal way possible.

I also agree about liking to play slow in RTS games, meaning I just play those on lower difficulty rather than trying to get better at them.

In battle royale games that I often play with my nephews, I try to get as close to the kills as they do. I don't really play aggressively in solo BRs, but win instead by being a bit more sneaky, so it is fun to mix it up and try not to get too salty when my nephews trash-talk me for being bad.

In Doom clones or survival games like Metro Exodus, I only play on the hardest difficulty because I want the challenge, but in most other genres I want to be more comfortable. I'm having fun and that is what matters the most to me.

I'm still as good as when I was younger and I'll never say otherwise!
I feel like I'm way worse now, but I'm not sure. My oldest son can kick my backside at Halo Infinite multiplayer (at least he could before I heavily played and beat the campaign). He's better than I am at modern games. But when I pulled out Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, he struggled bad, and he was actually impressed with how good I did. I think the method of gameplay in FPS games is different now than it used to be.

I learned 20+ years ago playing Nintendo 64 games against younger kids that I was doomed. Their advantage is they were born with video games, they didn't grow up before you ever saw one.

But when I pulled out Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, he struggled bad, and he was actually impressed with how good I did. I think the method of gameplay in FPS games is different now than it used to be.

Lots of games have similar controls now and you don't have to even look in the instructions to see what to press. So I guess compression of the games into same controls means you throw an old game with really weird controls at them and they go what... that and no directions on mini maps pointing to where to go next. No tips on screens... nothing.

this thread has a vibe to it

I don't know if this is actually a problem for people but i have heard people talking trash about another person becasuse that person is not as good at a game as they are, now this is obviosly lesser problem in singeplayer games but when did we go from that kid jumping of joy as the cassete in the c64 was loading upp Bruce Lee to talking behind someones back for not having high enough K/D in CS. And regarding a game like PUBG, i have had a cicken dinner once or twice but it has usually been down to me managing to survive till just 2 left rather than killing my way to the finnish line.

I don't know if this is actually a problem for people but i have heard people talking trash about another person becasuse that person is not as good at a game as they are, now this is obviosly lesser problem in singeplayer games but when did we go from that kid jumping of joy as the cassete in the c64 was loading upp Bruce Lee to talking behind someones back for not having high enough K/D in CS.
Computers were new back then. And well, not everyone in world played against each other in any C64 game. So many different types of computer that you lucky to know anyone with same as you have.
The ability to play online did exist but in mainframe games, the internet wasn't really a thing for another 10 years. You had no idea how good anyone outside your group of friends was, unless you looked at a magazine or something. You were just happy playing a game...

Now everyone sees everyone elses scores and making self feel good by talking down to someone else is what social media is for... it seems.
Gaming isn't new any more, its what everyone does. Novelty worn off. Hard to get excited when games are digital downloads, you don't even get a box to unwrap.

So only excitement is destroying someone elses fun... no wonder I play single player games.

It is okey to be bad at games
I'll take your word on that—I wouldn't know :p

bad at a game to the point where it sometimes gets frustrating
Good or bad, I have little interest in being frustrated while gaming. I got the frustration need covered by RL :)

fine line of balance there between challenging but not frustrating to get that level of enjoyment and still feel a sense of accomplishment when I finish a game
I don't care about accomplishment unless I stumble over it by accident, and then I might go for it. Or it's how I've played the game previously—eg in my fav casual series Royal Envoy replays, I 'have to' get 3 stars on every level, just cos I do every year. I did get 3 stars on every Expert Level first time out, but that was just work, so I haven't tried it since—the default level is hard enough.

fun for me is watching the game unfold
Yep, me too, I just love seeing where it's going to go—but even more so, where I can go off script, which I suppose is seeing the world unfold.

liking to play slow in RTS games
Me too, have no interest in fast-paced RTS—the point of it all for me is planning, and then executing and adapting. Not constantly reacting.

What I suck at:

Driving—I know from the occasional driving missions in my games that I may have made a new discovery about roads… they're all way too narrow!
Fighting—no ability or interest in games which require manual dexterity to avoid damage and pull off combos. I don't enjoy melee and only do it when the rest of the game makes it worthwhile—eg Far Cry Primal.

What I'm okay at:

Puzzles—I enjoy and would like to be better. I channel Thomas Edison in puzzles—2 Percent Inspiration and 98 Percent Perspiration :)
FPS Open World—When I have room to maneuver I can do okay at these, since that brings some strategy into play alongside the tactics. Being okay with headshots helps with these kind of random crazy situations.

What I'm good at:

Okay, the forum server crashed trying to hold all this, so here's the severely truncated version.

Word—I've been on top of the leaderboard for a little Hangman-like game for the past 18 months, and #s 2,3,4 for the 3 mini games included in it. Here's my review. Probably my best genre.

Strategy—RTS and 4X are my forte, Grand Strategy is too much for me. I beat the C&C Generals ZH General Challenge on Brutal, and played Civ4 comfy on Emperor.

Conclusion:

I don't set any store by my ability to read books or listen to music or watch stuff on screens. So it would make no sense for me to do differently for another entertainment industry, wouldn't it? Gaming is all about enjoyment for me—if it loses that sometimes, I move to a different interest.

this thread has a vibe to it
Love one of the comments :D

Man1: There's something wrong with society these days. Would you believe that my pension is so small, I haven't been able to afford new clothes in 18 bloody years?
Man2: I don't own any clothes at all, personally. The ones I'm wearing right now? I have to ask my neighbour to let me borrow them every time I go outside.

Man1: I haven't been able to afford a duvet either, so this winter I was forced to use the doormat as a blanket when I went to bed at night.
Man2: You've got a bed? All I've got to sleep on is my wife's broken old bicycle. The memories of her have to keep me warm at night because I haven't been able to afford a doormat.

Man1: I cannot afford toilet paper either, I have to wipe myself using the Yellow Pages.
Man2: I can't afford that, I have to wipe myself with the cat.

Man1: For the last couple of week or so, the only thing I've been able to afford eating every day is a single piece of crispbread with a squirt of tubed cheese on top.
Man2: Oh, what I wouldn't give for a piece of crispbread. I've nourished myself by licking the inside of a cap of a cheese and ham tube that I finished back in 2007.

Man1: At the moment I live in a 2ft² 1-room apartment -- without either electricity or water.
Man2: I live in an empty tuna can that I rent second hand in place of my childhood home that was torn down in 1969 in order to make room for a new Real Estate office.

Man1: And I haven't been able to afford going to the doctor in 3 years, even though I've got lung cancer and mets are spreading like wildfire throughout my whole damn body.
Man2: I had Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, Ebola and Creutzfeldt-Jacob's disease, but then I suddenly caught covid, had a stroke and died a couple of years ago.

Reactions: Alm and Pifanjr
I don't know if this is actually a problem for people but i have heard people talking trash about another person becasuse that person is not as good at a game as they are, now this is obviosly lesser problem in singeplayer games but when did we go from that kid jumping of joy as the cassete in the c64 was loading upp Bruce Lee to talking behind someones back for not having high enough K/D in CS. And regarding a game like PUBG, i have had a cicken dinner once or twice but it has usually been down to me managing to survive till just 2 left rather than killing my way to the finnish line.
Computers were new back then. And well, not everyone in world played against each other in any C64 game. So many different types of computer that you lucky to know anyone with same as you have.
The ability to play online did exist but in mainframe games, the internet wasn't really a thing for another 10 years. You had no idea how good anyone outside your group of friends was, unless you looked at a magazine or something. You were just happy playing a game...

Now everyone sees everyone elses scores and making self feel good by talking down to someone else is what social media is for... it seems.
Gaming isn't new any more, its what everyone does. Novelty worn off. Hard to get excited when games are digital downloads, you don't even get a box to unwrap.

So only excitement is destroying someone elses fun... no wonder I play single player games.

Pretty sure there's always been kids that **** talked others to feel better about themselves and kids that went along with it because they'd rather join in than be talked down to. Some of them just never grow out of it and now the internet has given them a platform to display this behaviour publicly.

Yes, it always existed but internet just gave them a bigger audience. Internet is a place where both good and bad ideas get to grow and be accepted as true by some. Some really dumb ideas...

in past you could only be as good as the size of your group of friends, now you have to compete against the world. I always knew there is someone better than me.

I don't want to compete, I just want to have fun.

I don't want to compete, I just want to have fun.

This. Im no pro and i get smacked in games like every normal gamer but if im invested and sweating it out, i come out on top and i usually have a 1.5-2.5 k/d and a positive win ratio overall in games that i tend to play more pvp in (FPS Games mostly) and im worse in games pvp over others but it mostly just comes down to how hard i want to try and be good. Having the ambition to want to turn into a "sweat" to win some matches and gain some ranks has become more of a waste of energy as i get older and i dont need that added stress in something i want to enjoy.

I spent a lot of time being like that in the early 2000's and it didnt get me anywhere, just some invites to MLG matches that i had to 100% pay for and local tournaments with varying placements but it was nowhere near as organized as it is today. 15-17 year old me would have loved the ease of access to play competitively for money, but the mid 30's me is just rather enjoy the game even though i can def. roll and destroy younger players.

I'm better at some games that others, but challenge really isn't a motivating factor for me in games. I'm current playing Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition on "casual mode", for example. It's quite common for me to play games on the lowest difficulty, especially if I'm primarily interested in the story. I've played FPS games for ages though, so usually those are an exception. For some FPS games the lowest difficulty is just too insanely easy (e.g., Halo on recruit). Some people like to be challenged, and that's perfectly valid, but it just isn't something I care about for the most part. I can get challenged from my job and other hobbies. I prefer to keep gaming as something that's strictly for relaxation and entertainment.

I learned 20+ years ago playing Nintendo 64 games against younger kids that I was doomed. Their advantage is they were born with video games, they didn't grow up before you ever saw one.
That's always been a big factor for me as well, as there were no pc games, PCs, internet, computer science/software classes throughout my grade school, high school & college years. And certainly no cell phones. Growing up in that pre-digital age is something that some don't understand if they haven't lived through it. For some perspective on that time period, when I graduated high school (1972) the average US price per gallon of gasoline was 36 cents, and minimum wage was $1.60 an hour. I didn't play my first PC game until sometime in the early 1980s, and I was glued to that 15" CRT monitor. Probably why I need glasses.

I don't care about accomplishment unless I stumble over it by accident, and then I might go for it.
I don't try to go for Steam accomplishments normally (although there are some I do try for), what I meant by "sense of accomplishment" was what I felt for completing all the challenges a game gives me in a fashion that I like and getting one of the "good" endings (if there are multiple endings). More of an internal satisfaction, if that makes sense.

Pretty sure there's always been kids that **** talked others to feel better about themselves and kids that went along with it because they'd rather join in than be talked down to. Some of them just never grow out of it and now the internet has given them a platform to display this behaviour publicly.
Yep. Those kids, and adults, have always been around even before the internet. Sometimes you can just ignore them, but in a multiplayer game, especially a completive one, they can really create a toxic environment. I don't need that and it's one of the main reasons that I've avoided all multiplayer games.

So essentially it's my reflexes that have suffered the most as I've aged. ...Which brings me to my next worst aging problem, my memory.
Last night I was reminded my dexterity is also becoming a problem, but mostly in harder parts of games, especially if I'm staying up too late (been waking up red eyed lately). It was a part of the game, which is at about 80% complete after you finish a mission where Spidey faces lots of fights with multiple thugs, and several main bosses at the end. I had worked out a strategy, and knew what I wanted to do, but was just hitting the wrong keys on the keyboard too often.

It's problems like this that caused me to finally knuckle down and get a better pair of blue blocker gaming glasses. I was not wearing the ones I bought some time ago anymore because I always game with headphones on now, and their temple pieces are too thick to be comfortable under them. I'd been considering a pair of the Gunnar Optiks MLG Phantom glasses for some time. They have very slim temple pieces with thin silicone sleeves over them. I found a slightly used pair on eBay that I offered $19.50 for (less than I paid for my Gamma Rays), and they will be here soon.

I'm sure some of the eye redness is due to it being pollen season and the hot weather we're having too, causing me to keep the several fans I have running at high speed. I used to love summer and come from a city that has longer hotter summers than where I live now, but since I stopped doing the biking, hiking, and backpacking I used to, and started heavily gaming instead, I can't wait for summer to be over, especially when we have multiple heat waves.

Lots of games have similar controls now and you don't have to even look in the instructions to see what to press. So I guess compression of the games into same controls means you throw an old game with really weird controls at them and they go what... that and no directions on mini maps pointing to where to go next. No tips on screens... nothing.
Well, I'm not really talking about controls. I'm more talking about how you play the game. Like it seems like new FPS games are made more to cater to running and gunning. Whereas old FPS games, you did better if you would take cover and hide around corners, and peek out and shoot. You had to kind of strafe around the corners so you could be prepared and aiming toward whatever might be there waiting for you.

I played a modern game with that play style, and my oldest son was yelling at me that nobody plays that way, and I need to get the guts to just run-n-gun and get it over with. But then when he played Medal of Honor his modern way of playing, he got absolutely pummeled. Then I showed him how to play it the way he was making fun of me for, and I owned the game. Games are just made to be played differently now.

Haha. Back in the C64 days, we still trash talked each other. It's just that we did it back then by writing letters to the editor of magazines, and you had to wait 2 months to see a response from someone. :LOL:

Like most of us here, PVP MP games i have to admit that i'm not that good nor do i have the patience or time to get gud and i simply avoid 90% of those games. They just bring out a seriously ugly side of me and honestly its not worth the aggro. The amount of time i commit to playing a game to reach top level just isn't worthwhile. Especially when i have real life commitments (ie work and study) and it becomes an obsession/job that's when you know its not good. You could use that time more productively experiencing different things or personal development. yeah good that you've committed thousands of hours to being good to ONE game, but honestly a waste of time. I've accepted that i'm not going to beat the more experienced, sweaty tryhards and unless I'm number one, its pointless trying to compete with them.

SP FPS/ RPGs/ Action adventure games i tend to play at a much higher difficulty as i can (thank you quick saves). although these days with my gaming collection ever growing, i'm thinking on playing on average difficulty. you know, how the developers intended. Too often i just think that most developers are lazy on how they implement difficulty and its just baddies with either higher pools of health or deal more damage and/or reducing your personal stats. That's kinda boring. Others are more exciting like thief where they give you additional objectives and encourage you to see more stuff.

RTS games i play on average. Don't play them competitively for probably the same reasons as to why i don't play PVP. Too many button clicks and needing to learn shortcuts is just boring. Its like learning a new piece of software each time. Might as well learn photoshop or something i can carry across to multiple disciplines.

Well, I'm not really talking about controls. I'm more talking about how you play the game. Like it seems like new FPS games are made more to cater to running and gunning. Whereas old FPS games, you did better if you would take cover and hide around corners, and peek out and shoot. You had to kind of strafe around the corners so you could be prepared and aiming toward whatever might be there waiting for you.

I played a modern game with that play style, and my oldest son was yelling at me that nobody plays that way, and I need to get the guts to just run-n-gun and get it over with. But then when he played Medal of Honor his modern way of playing, he got absolutely pummeled. Then I showed him how to play it the way he was making fun of me for, and I owned the game. Games are just made to be played differently now.
oh, realism vs imagination... its why every game has assault rifles now, even WW1 games. Kids don't have time for historical accuracy, its who can get the most kills... shame war games aren't as truly horrifying as reality, not so many would want to play them. If war was accurately portrayed people wouldn't want to do it, or be so gung ho about it all.

The 1st few games were as close to recreations as PC from 20 years ago could do. My dad used to play them, I know he wouldn't be still playing them now if he was around. He was into WW2 history before game came out. He would not be amused at what its like now.

oh, realism vs imagination... its why every game has assault rifles now, even WW1 games. Kids don't have time for historical accuracy, its who can get the most kills... shame war games aren't as truly horrifying as reality, not so many would want to play them. If war was accurately portrayed people wouldn't want to do it, or be so gung ho about it all.

The 1st few games were as close to recreations as PC from 20 years ago could do. My dad used to play them, I know he wouldn't be still playing them now if he was around. He was into WW2 history before game came out. He would not be amused at what its like now.
Nothing is historically accurate anymore because people would be offended by it. Like I tried out Sniper Elite 5 the other day, which takes place on the European Front of WWII. The first thing you have to do is go in and free this woman who is leading part of the rebellion. The first thing that came to my mind is that during WWII times, there is no way a woman would be leading a rebellion in the war. Maybe today, but not back then. That's just not how things were in those days.

But then I looked it up, and it appears that I was wrong. It was definitely like that in the US, but not as much in some other countries. I guess in France, there were women helping in resistance, even in combat roles. Pretty interesting.

TRENDING THREADS