Visit site
Components - Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor

Corsair iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS ATX LGA1200 Motherboard

Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory

Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

MSI RTX 3070 VENTUS 3X OC Edition Graphics Card - NVIDIA Geforce RTX3070

Problem - So first off my startup for my computer is slow. I power on the pc it gets right to the home screen but after i put my password in it takes a good 5-7 minutes for everything to get fully up and going. If I try and open applications during that process it just takes a while to open.

Second problem is when I open or close games. Starting up the game doesnt take long but closing the game my pc struggles to do that especially cod. I've tried to reset my pc 3 times and hard reset.

First time it was on the stage where it was wiping all files and it got stuck at 63% and I left it for a day to see if it would go up anymore no luck. Same thing happened on the second try, and the third try it made it to 65%.

I need help its pissing me off and I want it to be worth what I paid for. One other thing is I had an old pc that I took the storage out of and put it into this one not sure if that's important now or not. That pc was a dell prebuild. I built this one I'm having problems with.

[Mod edit: changed title from the unhelpful "How to make my pc run better? (Need help Its pissing me off tbh)".
Also put paragraphs into the wall of text.]

Last edited by a moderator:
ok so first thing ... if by hard reset you mean holding the power button down to turn it off then please stop doing this ..... on one of my pc i kept doing this and corrupted the recovery module files so windows would not let me do a clean install.

To find out if the hard disc is causing the problem simply remove it even if their is something on it you need then check to see if the problems still occour.

Was the other drive formatted before you put it in the machine you have now , did it have the op sys on it from your other pc , if so it might be trying to boot your old sys at the same time as the one you should be using.

On games put everything on lowest settings and see if the problem happen.

IMPORTANT ..... you said long wait to get to desktop ... how many items do you have running in start menu , are their any items listed you dont recognise , i only have realtek sound card .... my av boots without an entry.

Check add/remove to see if anything has got downloaded and installed without you knowing.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Oct 28, 2021
Visit site
ok so first thing ... if by hard reset you mean holding the power button down to turn it off then please stop doing this ..... on one of my pc i kept doing this and corrupted the recovery module files so windows would not let me do a clean install.

To find out if the hard disc is causing the problem simply remove it even if their is something on it you need then check to see if the problems still occour.

Was the other drive formatted before you put it in the machine you have now , did it have the op sys on it from your other pc , if so it might be trying to boot your old sys at the same time as the one you should be using.

On games put everything on lowest settings and see if the problem happen.

IMPORTANT ..... you said long wait to get to desktop ... how many items do you have running in start menu , are their any items listed you dont recognise , i only have realtek sound card .... my av boots without an entry.

Check add/remove to see if anything has got downloaded and installed without you knowing.
No what i mean is going into settings and erasing everything from my files and all and windows. I removed the disk like you said and once powered on it prompted me to the one menu and im not sure how im supposed to get back onto my pc like you want me to. Should I buy a new one and try that or try my brothers internal hard drive?

secondly on startup all i have is microsoft onesrive, realtek hd audio, steam, and something just called update.

Sounds to me like you need to reinstall Windows. With 3 failed resets, there must be a high chance of corrupt or missing system files.
no what i mean is i go into settings and i reset windows and wipes my drives. The drive reset gets to about that and as i said i waited like a day and shut off my pc then it will prompt me with just saying it didnt reset my files then windows will install completely fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
on startup all i have is microsoft onesrive, realtek hd audio, steam, and something just called update
Disable all those, except audio. My guess is whatever "update" is could be causing the startup delay.

Do this.

Run a malware check if above don't solve it.

I concur, resets, restores and SFC are a waste of time. The simplest path is to just recreate your bootable installer(since you can do so with Windows Media Creation Tools) and reinstall the OS, provided your BIOS are up to date and you've sourced the latest drivers from (component)manufacturer's support site.

did you try clean install?

if its taking 5 minutes to boot off an NVME after a clean install, its time to stop looking at windows and start looking at hardware as something is causing boot to be really slow. It could be any hardware, as bios and windows both look at parts attached at startup and can be stalled if something doesn't respond.

Is it slow before or after logon screen?

see if this has any tests for drive health - https://www.crucial.com/support/storage-executive

okay, is it just as slow in safe mode?

1. go to settings/update & security/recovery
  2. under advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose startup options
  7. click the restart button
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  9. Pc will restart and load safe mode

that will maybe tell us if its a software problem.

Components - Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor
Corsair iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS ATX LGA1200 Motherboard
Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
MSI RTX 3070 VENTUS 3X OC Edition Graphics Card - NVIDIA Geforce RTX3070
these are only parts? no other WIFI USB adaters or parts not listed?

unlikely to be the AIO although I guess Icue could stall windows load if it wasn't responding.
what mouse/keyboard have you got? Slowness after logon means its likely a driver not getting a reply from something,

your last statement makes me still think its the nvme since you don't mention any other storage

Reactions: Brian Boru
try unplugging hdd from data in pc and see if it makes any difference to startup.
unplug power of PC before messing inside it.

removing cable just means PC can't see it but also means you don't have to remove it completely from PC.

HDD are one of the main things that can slow startup.
this is just a test.

Oct 28, 2021
Visit site
Okay question my hdd is one terabyte and my ssd is one terabyte and in file explorer it shows that i only have one terabyte. I went to optimize drives and it tells me the type is a hard disk. So is my ssd not hooked up right?

its an nvme, there are only so many ways it can be connected.

right click start
choose disk management
a new windows will appear, it looks like
3RtdmNK.jpg

top section lists all the partitions on the PC
Bottom section will show the individual drives but won't say what they are unless drives labelled as such like mine are.
But it at least tell you if 2 drives showing in PC.

Windows should be on the nvme but if you had both drives attached when installing windows, it may be on both.
I have seen it do dumb things like have the boot partition on the hdd and windows on nvme. That can slow you down.

I would ask for a screenshot but there is a chance you can't link it here. Try uploading one to imgur and show it here... thats what I did. If you have any problems with that, I see what I can do.

TRENDING THREADS