How often do you replay games?

Nov 20, 2021
Visit site
How often do you replay games? Whether it's your favourite game or just a game that you enjoy. And also do you replay games you know everything about? Does knowing everything about a game make it boring to play again so you avoid replaying games? Personally I don't really replay games because I want to move onto the next one.

i play games like diablo 2 and there aren't many games in that genre I like so I do repeat games as I can't find anything else I want to play.

Normally my avatar is from Journey, its a game that only takes 90 minutes to complete but I spent months repeatedly playing the game as the game experience was never the same each time (unless you played offline). I played it on 2 different consoles and am resisting buying it again on PC as I don't want to play it to death... i want to still like it.

Some games are so deep its almost impossible to know everything about them. I find replaying games I know makes it easier to understand more about it. Getting everything you want in a game is what makes it boring to me. I can't keep playing the games once a character has everything it needs. But it takes a lot for me to stop playing. I just have breaks.

The games I play don't really have an end so I just stop and pick them up a few months/years later and play them again, relearning as I go.

I do replay games, but I usually only after a long gap. I get bored after a certain time of the same game and want to move on. There's just so many different things out there I havent played yet I cant stay in one place too long.

Having said that I will go back to some games after a gap and play again. Especially strategy games, but sometimes action games too.

I really respect people who can play a game exhaustively until they understand every mechanic and master it, wish I could find that kind of 'forever' game myself sometimes.

Unless you count reinstalling the game and playing a few minutes to bag a screenshot for the guess the game topic on this forum, for 90% of the games i play/finish i very rarely do. There are only a couple i play again and for the most part its because of unfinished business. Like playing alternate ending or i'm preparing a save game file for the next game. its very rare i find a game i like that i would play again.

That said i do play Path of exile repeatedly for the leagues and back before my PC days i would play my purchased games repeatedly. being poor and all.

There's a lot of games I've "restarted", but usually to try out a different class or build. I've had a lot of different characters in TES and Fallout games for example, but each of them was different in some way from the other characters.

I have also given up on some games and when getting back to them some years later I would start from the beginning again. I can't remember one where I played to the end more than once though.

There are a few games I have replayed, often for specific parts of the game or to scratch an itch no other game could satisfy. Black & White is a good example of a game I've started many times, but only finished once. I've also come back to Sniper Elite V2, but again only played a few missions.

I replay games all the time—if you were to ask me what I'm playing at some particular time, there's a good chance it's a replay, but only from a fairly narrow selection of games I really like.

I guess it's due to my gaming since before video games became a thing. I used to play board, card, dice etc games a lot, and obviously they're almost always replays—I would have played hundreds of games of chess, checkers, and various card games.

My favored open world games lend themselves to replay, because of all the different ways you can sequence the tasks and missions, and same with how to approach a particular mission.

It's mostly an all or nothing thing—if I really like a game it goes on the replay roster, otherwise it's a once and forget.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Plenty of games are made to repeat. If I only play a 4X game once through, that's not a good sign.

For the story based games, though, it's pretty rare for me to play twice. I have to like the game a lot, the game has to be significantly different on the next play-through, and/or it has to be a pretty long time since I last played. Witcher 3, for example, is easily my favorite RPG but I only played through it once. If I went through again right now, I'm sure I would find some new twists on the minor stories, but most of it would be a repeat. The Last Remnant, however, got replayed 3 times because of all the different ways you can develop a character and the changes the "new game plus" mode made to the game.

I replay more games each year than new games, or games from my bloated backlog. There are also games that are "remastered " like Diablo 2 Resurrected, or games that have "enhanced editions" like Baldur's Gate 1 & 2. I've played all three of those this year and they could arguably be called replaying, as the stories and mechanics are basically the same as the originals from years ago.

There are some games that I mod, like Skyrim (surprise!), Fallout 4 & Fallout New Vegas. The mod variety is just so vast, that every replay is a bit different, sometimes dramatically so. I replay those games roughly every 12-18 months or so for a few hundred hours. I don't always finish them, but with those games, it's not so much the main story that drives the game (or me), it's just that open world exploration the story that you can create for yourself that keeps pulling me back.

Story-based RPGs like the Mass Effect games (even Andromeda) and the Dragon Age games I replay frequently. I know the stories and the characters, but all of those games just has a certain "feel" to the entire experience that I'm always drawn back to them. I find it hard to actually define that quality, but I haven't experienced it in any of the newer games I've played. I had hopes for Outer Worlds, and while it was a decent game, it just fell short in so many aspects.

Plenty of games are made to repeat.
Exactly this. I think most of us here have games that draw us back into certain game worlds, and while players criteria may differ, that lure to go back to certain games is always there.

Witcher 3, for example, is easily my favorite RPG but I only played through it once. If I went through again right now, I'm sure I would find some new twists on the minor stories, but most of it would be a repeat
Witcher 3 is high on my current replay list. I've been holding out because CD Projekt Red is supposedly working on a remastered version. I had hoped that it would be released this year, but I know now from a recent PCG article, that it's been bumped into 2022, so I'll probably hold out until that releases.

I replay games all the time—if you were to ask me what I'm playing at some particular time, there's a good chance it's a replay, but only from a fairly narrow selection of games I really like.
It's mostly an all or nothing thing—if I really like a game it goes on the replay roster, otherwise it's a once and forget.
Yes and Yes. Some games I play once, and even if I enjoyed them, I really have no desire to go back to them. Other games, some of which I've listed above, I'll always go back to at some point.

How often do you replay games? Whether it's your favourite game or just a game that you enjoy. And also do you replay games you know everything about? Does knowing everything about a game make it boring to play again so you avoid replaying games? Personally I don't really replay games because I want to move onto the next one.

Most of my games these days have no narrative and no ending, so it's kind of hard for me to "replay" them, although I've started about 6 new games in Satisfactory (at least).

I replayed RE8. That's all I remember at the moment from this year. Very rarely will I replay a game with narrative. I was planning on replaying Witcher 3 because they were going to release a visual upgrade, but when Cyberpunk 2077 bombed critically, it's like CDPR just went dark, and I haven't heard anything else about the Witcher update.

Reactions: mainer and Pifanjr
but when Cyberpunk 2077 bombed critically, it's like CDPR just went dark, and I haven't heard anything else about the Witcher update.
Well, I guess their marketing teams weren't expecting to have to fix Cyberpunk, so could announce new things. It seems company so large now that marketing aren't in touch with the people making games and reality hit them in the face when the wonder game wasn't so wonderful and plans had to be shelved to make it what marketing had been saying it would be all along.

The release broken games and fix over next few years mentality is as bad as ever. I like the "remake old games worse than they were before and replace the old versions with the new ones so in future your bad games won't be compared against what came before" pattern we seem to be in. AT least DIablo 2 resurrected escaped that trend.

it is probably one reason I don't buy new games and do repeat old ones now.

TRENDING THREADS