Question How make a game like old resident evil (ps1)?

I really like the style of this game and I am very interested to know what was used to create the game? I've seen 2 new games from fans on the Resident evil 2 or 3 engine (resident evil revisited, during the storm). I want to try myself as a developer, but I don't know where to look for assets from ps1 and resident evil

[Mod edit: YouTube links removed.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SirDJCat
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
This is a tad late but as an indie developer hopefully I can help a little.

I can’t find what engine the original (Resident Evil 1) used so I’m guessing it was just built on top of Home Sweet Home (a prior Capcom game that Resi evolved from). As for the remakes and newer ones, they’re probably being made in RE Engine but I believe that’s proprietary. Honestly though, it wouldn’t be super hard to recreate any of the games in something like Unreal or Unity. There’s plenty of templates and tutorials out there if you’re a beginner coder. Just search for “fixed camera survival game” on YouTube and you’ll find plenty of helpful videos. As for models (which is usually the hardest) there’s a great collection of retro 3D models on GitHub (I don’t think I’m allowed to link it so just search “Retro3DGraphicsCollection” and it should pop up). If you need animations, Mixamo should have enough to get you started.

It‘s really just a matter of putting it all together and knowing what to look for. Hopefully that helps a bit (feel free to ask questions :).

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS