Question High Demand Games Crashing my Build

Jan 22, 2021
Visit site
Hello All,

I recently went big, and upgraded my Rig with state of the art hardware, but am still experiencing crashing within higher demand games such as Destiny 2 and Devil May Cry 5. Initially, I thought that it was a power supply issue, as it was a 600w trying to power state of the art GPU and CPU equipment. However, after installing an 850W PSU, I am still running into the same issues. Please help. I have made these upgrades so that I wouldn't run into these issues again, and need this equipment functioning flawlessly in order to meet the demands that my streaming requires . my full part list is as follows:

Nvidia RTX 3070
Intel i9 10850k Processor
Asus Prime H470 Plus Motherboard
ThermalTake 850W RGB PSU
Cooler Master 212 Processor fan
500G M2 Barracuda SSD
Western Digital 1Tb Hard Drive
Corsair Vengeance 32Gb RAM

Hi, I only know some basics for software and troubleshooting but I can at least make a couple of suggestions to get things started :)

Are you using a fresh install of Windows on this system or did you carry over the same installation to the new one from an old motherboard/CPU?

If you have overclocked anything at all set it back to stock settings. Including disabling any XMP profile you may have active for your RAM. Test and see if it still crashes in games after doing so.

Have you tried reinstalling all your drivers. Graphics card, motherboard and chipset ones too from the Asus website support page for your motherboard?

Are you monitoring temperatures on your CPU and GPU when you are using them in games? If so what are they at their hottest point.

Jan 22, 2021
Visit site
Actually, I also installed that M2 Barracuda at the same time with the new motherboard, processor, and graphics card, but I had to unplug my previous SSD in order to boot up and install a new version of windows on there. I've yet to plug it back in as I'm not sure how the computer will respond, but I know that I could utilize it for some other purpose.

Not only did I bring the settings back down, but I actually lowered them below standard/optimal settings, and it was STILL crashing the games. I'm not exactly sure how to tweak the XMP outside of the NVidia GeForce Experience application though. *Head Scratch* SMH

so here's a kicker, my GPU driver installed fine, but the driver I found after typing in i9 10850k processor driver, the link and download file it made me get, said that my computer doesn't meet the requirements for the application! I mean wtf?!? the motherboard drivers aren't doing much better over here either. the main driver on the page with all the downloads says that its only a beta, and when I unzip it its only two things in there, both that are equally unhelpful. in other words: no install windows popping up.

Downloads for Intel® Core™ i9-10850K Processor (20M Cache, up to 5.20 GHz)
PRIME H470-PLUS Driver & Tools | Motherboards | ASUS Singapore

I did monitor the temp a bit, and last I checked it was getting to about 50 degrees Celsius, however I wasn't monitoring it closely. Above I provided the links to the drivers in case you can find something. I'll try the driver thing again, but could still use some help.

OK, you would need to go into your BIOS and set up XMP in the first place. XMP profiles are automatic settings for overclocking your RAM. The way you're talking you havent been into BIOS yet? Which would mean that your RAM is at stock auto I believe. So that's good.

The CPU does not have drivers you need to install, they are all for the integrated graphics you are not using. If you have installed those, uninstall them.

Geforce Experience is for your graphics card, youre saying you did a fresh install? Lutfij has a good guide here to follow to ensure its perfectly installed as they can become corrupted. You can skip the BIOS update part at least for now, we dont want your system crashing while youre doing that.

Install the motherboard chipset drivers from the Asus website page you linked, maybe also the SATA, LAN, and audio ones. No need for new BIOS yet or VGA/utilities, unless someone else here knows better.

You would need to know both CPU and GPU temperature while playing a demanding game. Idle on desktop doesnt mean much. I like to use GPUZ and Realtemp, but something like HWINFO or others will work as long as it tells you both temperatures. They will log the max temp if you play for 10-15 minutes then alt tab to desktop to see how they are going.

One more question, is your RAM all from one kit or have you bought a new one and added together with an old one?

Just general advice, dont try and do lots of things at once, take things slowly and test at each step- That way you know exactly what the problem was once its fixed and you have a better idea where to start if similar things happen in the future.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Next time a crash happens, look in Event Viewer for warning marks at the time the crash happened. Ignore all the 'info' stuff, you're looking for the red or yellow error events.

The info panel when you click on an event should show the module which crashed and give you an error code which can be looked up online.

PS copied from my notes:

1. Assuming WIndows 10 OS, press the Windows key and type Event Viewer—typing "ev" should be enough to have it show up at the top of the list. Click on it and expand the Windows Logs and click on 'Application', look for any red-marked errors around the time the last freeze happened.

If you see any, click on it and copy the error code—it looks something like
"Exception code: 0xe0434352"
You can search for that, or paste it here and we'll take a look.
Also useful is the 'Event ID', it's typically a 4/5-digit number.

Repeat for 'System' in the Windows Logs.

There are thousands of entries in Event Viewer, so focus on the time the freeze happened.

Jan 22, 2021
Visit site
Ok, I redownloaded the drivers and enabled the XMP but just ran into another crash. I opened the event log and sure enough warnings and errors are in it. I couldn't find the specific error code you were talking about among all the lines, so I'm going to paste the whole log for the event below:

Faulting application name: destiny2.exe, version: 25131.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5ff8b93a
Faulting module name: destiny2.exe, version: 25131.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5ff8b93a
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000101dd9b
Faulting process id: 0x21a8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6f135c229fdc3
Faulting application path: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Destiny 2\destiny2.exe
Faulting module path: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Destiny 2\destiny2.exe
Report Id: 72cdce4f-122e-4b40-b344-e4890aacc761
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Reactions: Brian Boru
Exception code: 0xc0000005

Faulting process id: 0x21a8
Good stuff, the above two should be the best clues. I don't have time to do good research at the moment, but a quick search on 0xc0000005 shows RAM as the main possible problem—but there are others, take a look yourself if RAM doesn't solve it.

Is all your RAM exactly the same—make, model?
Try taking out half your RAM. If it still crashes, replace & take out the other half.

I don't see anything useful on a quick search for 0x21a8.

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama
Jan 22, 2021
Visit site
yooo, i took out two of my ram and all seems to be running steady as of now. two out of four are different makes/models than the other two. not sure why that would make a difference though. But thanks you two. I appreciate the help and input!

Reactions: Frindis
Nice. Glad you got it sorted!

The chips on RAM sticks are made by different manufacturers in different batches, different chips have different tolerances. Even if you buy a Corsair Vengeance (for example) branded kit that says it has the same primary timings (C16 18 18 36) it may have different tolerances for secondary and tertiary timings, as the actual RAM chips (IC's) are different.

When you install RAM the BIOS auto detects the lower timing settings settings that it thinks these chips will work at and sometimes gets it wrong. Especially when you mix and match kits like you did. This can cause major problems or just annoying intermittent ones.

Sometimes it works fine, but sometimes not. This is why I'm always a bit cautious when people say they will buy RAM and just add some in later. It doesnt always work and Ive seen it cause problems quite a few times.

TRENDING THREADS