Question High cpu

Oct 12, 2021
Visit site
So I bought this pc a while back and have always wondered why it runs high memory and CPU when watching videos and playing games. I have:
Intel Core i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90 Ghz 2904 Mhz 8 Cores 16 Logical Processors
Ram 16GB
Windows 10 Home
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti
Gigabyte b460m ds3h ac-y1

My win 11 idles at desktop with 8gb used. But then I have 32gb of ram so its not really high. Windows adapts to what you have.

If you play games or watch videos, they have to be in ram to run... genrally the fastest memory in your PC is actually on your CPU but the cache sizes are tiny, so the next fastest memory is ram and so it runs most things from there. If the CPU cannot find the info from either it will look on storage but this slows down the process. You wouldn't want to have CPU wait for storage while playing a game or watching a slide show... I mean, movie. It would be slideshow like.

How much ram does it use on desktop? startup?

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

All clean boot does is stops programs starting with windows, they are still on your pc, you can easily enable them again. Its not a reset.

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

Oct 29, 2021
Visit site
I tried that and it didn't change anything except memory went down 20% but no difference with cpu %.
Check if your Ram is running on the maximum MHz there is avaliable for it? If it is already on the maximum leave it like that. I use this program when I game or do heavy load stuff on my pc. It optimizes most of the thing(although not perfect). It helps for me at least. I hope it works for you as well.
https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1256

Closing the standby list actually can slow PC down, as the items are there for a reason and clearing them from ram just means if/when the CPU goes looking for them, it has to reopen them from storage. I seen that program before and it works against how win 10 memory management does things.

Win 10 compresses things into ram if you close them so if you decide to reopen them later, it decompresses them and its much faster to do that than look on storage. Win 10 can run in less ram than all previous versions of windows until you hit windows XP.

it shrinks/grows to use what you have. I don't know how much ram it uses if you have 64gb or more, it would be slightly bigger if only as it has to map the ram and that takes space. If you run rammap (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/rammap) it also uses ram to map itself. the data has to be somewhere.

His problem doesn't seem to be ram usage and more CPU. What had focus when you took the CPU usage? game or browser? I will look at my usage later when I have Diablo 2 running on desktop though I doubt its usage is that heavy compared to other titles.

try doing a virus scan or run Malewarebytes.

What is CPU usage like at idle. Idle is when you aren't doing anything, PC is never not doing something. Not right after startup as its not idle then, but give it a few minutes to just sit and see what its like.

Mine is almost always at 3 to 5% usage on CPU, I have monitoring programs that mean its never not doing something. ram is 30% usage

3600xt, 6 cores/12 threads
32gb ram
Windows 11 Home
Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
Aorus X570 Elite Wifi

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Brian Boru