Question High CPU (100%) in every game.

Jul 28, 2023
Visit site
I'm having a hard time figuring this out, every game I play the CPU use is 100%.

I thought it may be due to the GPU not being fully utilized so gradually began upping the in game settings.. even when the GPU is 100% consistently in game the CPU remains 100% only dropping by 4/5% here and there.

If I drop to lower settings, the GPU doesn't consistently hit 100% and tends to spike up and down... but CPU remains 100% only dropping by 4/5% here and there.

So my idea of increasing settings to force the GPU to do more work doesn't help and my idea of going to lower settings in the hopes of the CPU not being taxed also doesn't work....

If it were bottlenecking at higher settings then wouldn't there be a happy medium I would find when gradually lowering the settings where it would be taxing the GPU enough for 100% utilization but not so much that the CPU can't keep up ? there is no middle ground.

Also my GPU and CPU never go above 65c no matter how high I increase the settings too, so it's not overheating.

I have just recently updated to Windows 11 from Windows 10 and I can't be 100% sure but don't remember having these issues on Windows 10 or if I did, I certainly didn't notice it.

Any ideas what could be going on ?

I have all my games set in graphics settings for full gpu acceleration.

Welcome to the forum :)

You gotta tell us what the CPU is before anyone can comment usefully.

You will also be asked for other system specs, so may as well provide 'em all in one go—here's our generic guide:

Of particular interest are:
Exact make & model of your Power Supply;
Motherboard;
Case & cooling parts;

Graphics card;
Monitor model & Hz;
Resolution you're running at;
What graphic settings level have you enabled?

Are all drivers & BIOS up to date?

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama
Jul 28, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to the forum :)

You gotta tell us what the CPU is before anyone can comment usefully.

You will also be asked for other system specs, so may as well provide 'em all in one go—here's our generic guide:

Of particular interest are:
Exact make & model of your Power Supply;
Motherboard;
Case & cooling parts;

Graphics card;
Monitor model & Hz;
Resolution you're running at;
What graphic settings level have you enabled?

Are all drivers & BIOS up to date?
Screenshot-2023-07-27-035038.png

Cooling seems to be doing the trick neither the GPU or CPU go above 65c when running at 100%.

1080p for all games matching my monitor.

Low settings - High settings CPU is always sitting at 100%... GPU only sits at 100% when I have higher settings otherwise it spikes from 100 to 10 to 50 etc...

All driver etc up to date, fresh install of Windows 11, power mode set to ultra performance, games added to graphic performance for full performance on the GPU.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023
Visit site
Can you tell us exactly what games youre playing?

Its an older CPU that was a budget option at its release 4 years ago, so I wouldnt be surprised for it to be at 100% in the majority of AAA games from the last few years, especially online ones.
Hi mainly just the two F I F A and F O R T N I T E , I have also watched other players with the same setup on videos and they don't seem to be having the same issue regarding CPU use when playing on same settings.

The only thing I can't be sure is their over clock settings, but according to the benchmark above I am in a high percentile in most of the tests so my Overclocks must be way above the average user.

I don't believe I noticed this issue as prominently when I was on Windows 10 if that helps ? It seems to have become an issue since I moved to Windows 11 but can't figure out what it could be if anything ?

Had to use bold and spaces as was being flagged as spam or inappropriate for some reason.

[Mod edit: removed dup quote.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Brian Boru
Jul 28, 2023
Visit site
Can you tell us exactly what games youre playing?

Its an older CPU that was a budget option at its release 4 years ago, so I wouldnt be surprised for it to be at 100% in the majority of AAA games from the last few years, especially online ones.
The above is a screenshot from someone playing the same game with the same settings and getting around 120fps, I struggle keep above 60 fps on the same settings.

I know my Overclock for both GPU and CPU has managed to get me into the top 15 Percentile, unless his overclocks are even greater by a much bigger margin my FPS should be able to get close to his FPS.

Any ideas what is going on ? even just looking at his CPU use compared to mine being 90/100 is way off.

Thanks

Put simply your CPU has 4 cores. The Ryzen 5 5600X has 6 plus a further 6 with something called SMT. Not only that but every individual core of the 5600X is significantly faster than the cores in your CPU. Overclocking is not going to make much of a difference, sorry to say.

In Fifa 23 EA asks for a Ryzen 5 1600 as a minimum. Your CPU is slower than that, I'm not surprised it would be 100% usage in Fifa 23, 60FPS is pretty good, considering.

• Processor: Intel Core i5 6600k or AMD Ryzen 5 1600
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti or AMD Radeon RX 570
  • DirectX: Version 12
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection
  • Storage: 100 GB available space
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1811260/EA_SPORTS_FIFA_23/

Last edited:
  • Love
Jul 28, 2023
Visit site
Put simply your CPU has 4 cores. The Ryzen 5 5600X has 6 plus a further 6 with something called SMT. Not only that but every individual core of the 5600X is significantly faster than the cores in your CPU. Overclocking is not going to make much of a difference, sorry to say.

In Fifa 23 EA asks for a Ryzen 5 1600 as a minimum. Your CPU is slower than that, I'm not surprised it would be 100% usage in Fifa 23, 60FPS is pretty good, considering.

• Processor: Intel Core i5 6600k or AMD Ryzen 5 1600
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti or AMD Radeon RX 570
  • DirectX: Version 12
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection
  • Storage: 100 GB available space
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1811260/EA_SPORTS_FIFA_23/
You are spot on, I was just thinking my Overclock was sufficient enough to hit Min specs but yeah clearly in need of an upgrade.

Cheers Fella.

You are spot on, I was just thinking my Overclock was sufficient enough to hit Min specs but yeah clearly in need of an upgrade.

Cheers Fella.
If 60 FPS isnt enough for you then upgrading your CPU is the way to get there in those games. But one option is to turn off performance monitoring and see if the performance actually bothers you when you arent looking for it.

If your monitor is only capable of 60hz having 'Vsync' on in settings will limit you to 60 max anyway, and disabling Vsync causes a visual problem called 'tearing'.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts