Help on motherboard/cpu recommendations for new PC

Aug 18, 2020
Visit site
hi all,

I am looking to get the rumored RTX 3080 or 3080TI/3090 when it comes out and would like to upgrade/build my PC around it.

My current screen is 27inch with 2k resolution - 144HZ. There might be plans for 4k in the future tentatively. I should add that I have been doing incremental upgrades in the past few months - casing, fan and cooling system, SSD for primary drive.

My next goal is to look at a new motherboard and cpu for my upgrade/new setup. I will be using the PC primarily for gaming and basic word document functions from time to time. Budget presently is not an issue but I am not looking to break the bank or go for the top end of the line hardware.
Rather, I am looking at a motherboard/cpu that will functionally allow me to hit maximum settings for gaming with the new GPU, which would also give me the flexibility to go 4k in the future.
I guess this might me in a category where I would want my best bang for buck and to avoid any bottlenecks (I hope I am using the term correctly).

If there is an opinion that a top range motherboard/cpu is neccessary for my needs, I would really appreciate if someone could articulate the reasons for it so I can consider it seriously. Once again, thank you so much guys!
PS: I apologise if some of my comments above may sound ignorant or appear to be lofty. Appreciate your time for reading my post!

Do you actually need to buy the CPU now?

I would suggest waiting for AMD to launch Zen 3 CPUs later this year.

They will (presumably) offer a decent performance uplift over the current gen of AMD CPUs, and unlike Intel's the motherboards and CPUs both support PCIe 4.0, which Nvidia's cards are expected to. PCIe generation might not be a limiting factor on GPU performance yet, but could be for future upgrades.

It's also rumoured that the 3090 might launch as a flagship after the 3080. Besides which availability isn't always immediate after the announcement of GPUs anyway.

So waiting a couple of months on the CPU front would seem to be in order here,

Aug 18, 2020
Visit site
that's a great idea... i guess i will probably adopt a wait and see approach for now. i m not hard up to do the upgrades, but will probably pick up the pieces as they go along in terms of avaliablity.

will wait out on the zen 3 cpu then, thanks :)

Reactions: Oussebon
Be aware that it's recently come to light that there is a new 12 pin power connector that will be used on at least the top of the range new Ampere card(s). Also a 850w PSU could be needed.

The actual announcement of the cards is due on 1st September so we will properly know more then. Just bare in mind you might need a new PSU or at least a new 2x8 to 12 pin lead.

There are reports too that the 3090 might require an 850W PSU, so if youre looking to buy that card, keep that in mind.

Wait until your desired card you want drops and see what is available then top tier wise, who knows the prices might be cheaper on some parts by that time.

We'll see soon enough.

Some rumours say the 12-pin is for Founders Editions but AIB cards may use multiple 8-pins.

Just bare in mind you might need a new PSU or at least a new 2x8 to 12 pin lead.
If an adapter is needed it may well be supplied with the card, as was the case with 2 x 6-pin to 8-pin.

Still, all more reasons to wait and see before forging ahead :)

Apr 1, 2020
Visit site
There are reports too that the 3090 might require an 850W PSU, so if youre looking to buy that card, keep that in mind.

Wait until your desired card you want drops and see what is available then top tier wise, who knows the prices might be cheaper on some parts by that time.
That's extremely likely that it means that's for the entire system, not the card. The 2080ti higher end cards run at 280w (before/if you overclock it), and suggest a 650w power supply. That 3090 is rather large though, but it's also essentially the Titan of the lineup, and it's architecture is different from the other cards. I'd think a 3080 would likely be around the same rough wattage as that, but we'll see.

TRENDING THREADS