Question Help on graphics card

Jan 5, 2023
Visit site
Needing help finding a good cheap graphics card that won't break the bank, I bought a refurbished pc to fix up and use for mid level gaming and entertainment which is currently running a duo core e5400, 8gb of RAM, and (sadly) a g41 express chip, I'm new to this hobby of pc upgrading and need help, thanks.

Jan 5, 2023
Visit site
thats not exactly a new CPU - https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...ssor-e5400-2m-cache-2-70-ghz-800-mhz-fsb.html its from 2009.

You aren't going to be getting a great experience out of that PC, what do you define as Mid level gaming?
Do you know what motherboard you have?
I should have been more specific, sorry, I play primarily older or 2d games, the most graphically intense of these that I want to run is Team Fortress 2, my motherboard is a FOXCONN 2A8Ch. My budget to upgrade is 100-250 dollars.

Reactions: Brian Boru

Zoid

Community Contributor
I should have been more specific, sorry, I play primarily older or 2d games, the most graphically intense of these that I want to run is Team Fortress 2, my motherboard is a FOXCONN 2A8Ch. My budget to upgrade is 100-250 dollars.
How much RAM do you have currently? It looks like your board supports a maximum of 4GB. You still want to determine the wattage and connectivity of your power supply before getting a graphics card. That's very important.

Given the age of your other components and the budget for an upgrade, I think you are going to be best served looking on the used market. This is always a gamble and a risk, but if you are a savvy Ebay or Craigslist consumer then you can usually sus out which cards are well-cared-for cards being resold by individuals and which are ex-mining cards being sold by bulk resellers. Based on a quick scan through Ebay I am seeing cards like the GTX 1060 and RX 580 for under $100, and older cards even cheaper. Either of those would be more than enough for 2D games and Team Fortress.

Jan 5, 2023
Visit site
How much RAM do you have currently? It looks like your board supports a maximum of 4GB. You still want to determine the wattage and connectivity of your power supply before getting a graphics card. That's very important.

Given the age of your other components and the budget for an upgrade, I think you are going to be best served looking on the used market. This is always a gamble and a risk, but if you are a savvy Ebay or Craigslist consumer then you can usually sus out which cards are well-cared-for cards being resold by individuals and which are ex-mining cards being sold by bulk resellers. Based on a quick scan through Ebay I am seeing cards like the GTX 1060 and RX 580 for under $100, and older cards even cheaper. Either of those would be more than enough for 2D games and Team Fortress.
Yes! thank you, as I said im newish to learning pc stuff, my board is using 8gb of ram currently id id running fine. I'll look into what you said, thanks!

Reactions: Zoid and Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS