Help, I can't finish RPGs anymore

Page 4 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
I am cursed!

https://www.pcgamer.com/help-i-cant-finish-rpgs-anymore/

Does anyone else suffer from this affliction? My shame pile keeps on growing.

Man, I totally feel you! It takes something very special for me to get all the way through it. I feel like it's the ADD of the cell-phone era.

I have to be so totally engaged to get through one and I could count the games I finished in the past few years on one hand.

Strangely, open-world RPG games are what I crave and I think "finishing" should just be done away with. I always avoid the main story because I want to explore the world and I'm thinking future RPGs should have organic, emergent story than grows from the world itself, rather than being layed out the way they are.

A.I. please procedurally generate infinite RPG worlds instead of eradicating us!

Sarafan

Community Contributor
I've noticed some problems in finishing RPGs myself recently. In the past I could play only one RPG from start to finished without being bored. Now I have problem to do so. I need to make breaks and play other games to be able to finish these RPGs. I still try to end games that I've started playing, even if it means forcing myself to do so, but sometimes it gets really hard for some reason. :(

Reactions: TheOldCapSlap
Apr 3, 2020
Visit site
I've noticed some problems in finishing RPGs myself recently. In the past I could play only one RPG from start to finished without being bored. Now I have problem to do so. I need to make breaks and play other games to be able to finish these RPGs. I still try to end games that I've started playing, even if it means forcing myself to do so, but sometimes it gets really hard for some reason.

I have been the same way. But when I do play them, I get very invested and will binge for a couple days and then not touch it for a week or sometimes months. I've experienced a lot more gaming burnout over the years so maybe I'll resist the random 10 hour rpg gaming session to avoid it and get through my backlog!

Reactions: Sarafan and randyl
Mar 30, 2020
Visit site
Hmmm, Witcher 3 counting as RPG? It took me more than year to complete whole game with DLC. No play other games while playing Witcher. Few times I get pause for week or two but never bored.

Reactions: Sarafan
May 2, 2020
Visit site
I think I counted 6 games I've started and not continued with even though I want to.
The Witcher 3, Doom (2016), Borderlands 2, Skyrim, We Happy Few, and Gears of War: Judgement.

I could also say Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege, but I'll be honest and admit I just found it too difficult.

Then there's ESO and Fallout 76. I'll go back to ESO but Fallout 76 is...

Apr 26, 2020
Visit site
I've been sitting on I am Setsuna for years now. Party is strong enough to barrel through the game, not strong enough for final boss. Can't find the will or the energy to grind for another 5-10 hours.

Jan 19, 2020
Visit site
I've been sitting on I am Setsuna for years now. Party is strong enough to barrel through the game, not strong enough for final boss. Can't find the will or the energy to grind for another 5-10 hours.
Dragon Quest XI is like this for me. I finished the main story, but then the game opens even further. DQXI kinda has 2 endings. I had to put it down before I got to the second because it asks for so much grinding. It's already a very long game and I already have 88 hours in it. I'll pick it up again someday.

May 4, 2020
Visit site
that step of loading into the game is mentally the hardest part for me as well.
Absolutely and exactly! I get a notion to play, and by the time I boot up the rig I have lost the motivation already. However, if I just get in there and start playing I get engrossed and in the zone. I end up having a great time and often play for hours. It's strange. Witcher 3 is like that, I have to sort of push myself to start. I have 83 hours and I can only see myself finishing that one. But who knows, years ago I was at the very end of the Skyrim campaign and was distracted by some other release. It sits unfinished to this day.

May 2, 2020
Visit site
Year ago I was blindly playing loot box shooters probably due to social aspect only and had the same issue when I tried playing any SP game.
I’ve noticed two have something in common. My work colleagues are still addicted to WOW or Warzone/PUBGs and when I chat to them about any RPGs they never have time due to farming and grinding BR games, with families this must be difficult.

In my case it might be little different since I don’t watch any gaming channel on YouTube or Twitch. It doesn’t influence my surge to play anything. Since I stopped playing anything online and social media checking has been reduced to low things are different I solely play indie games and rpgs without regret, when I can. Having a family and APU PC doesn’t allow much.

Reactions: randyl
Jan 19, 2020
Visit site
Year ago I was blindly playing loot box shooters probably due to social aspect only and had the same issue when I tried playing any SP game.
I’ve noticed two have something in common. My work colleagues are still addicted to WOW or Warzone/PUBGs and when I chat to them about any RPGs they never have time due to farming and grinding BR games, with families this must be difficult.

In my case it might be little different since I don’t watch any gaming channel on YouTube or Twitch. It doesn’t influence my surge to play anything. Since I stopped playing anything online and social media checking has been reduced to low things are different I solely play indie games and rpgs without regret, when I can. Having a family and APU PC doesn’t allow much.
I can relate. I have been an avid MMORPG gamer since around 2003. MMOs and other GaaS (games as a service) suck the time and can suck the life out of gaming. There is so much churn-driven grind that it doesn't leave time for much else. The main purpose of the grind is to drive revenue, not great game play. Once I dropped those I had a lot of time for other games.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Ditto. I'm very much the same when it comes to not finishing RPGs. I usually take a break that ends up being longer than expected. By the time I return to the RPG, I lose interest because I've left it too long. It becomes harder to get back into.

Yeah, those breaks are very tricky. You say to yourself that you need to make a break for a day or two and in reality it becomes several weeks. After so much time you don't remember what side quests you were doing and forget crucial plot information. I've experienced this several times. It's good that you can find most of these information on the Internet.

TRENDING THREADS