HELP - CPU red light / no display

Apr 1, 2020
Visit site
Hello!

Just completed a new PC build last night. After firing up all fans and lights work except for GPU fans. There is no display with the GPU installed or uninstalled. I have a gigabyte aorus pro wifi board with amd ryzen 3700x. So far I have checked all connections, and re-sat the ram sticks. There is a red light displaying on the motherboard under "cpu". Multiple searches online I have yet to find anything. Thanks in advance.

Zoid

Community Contributor
Hello!

Just completed a new PC build last night. After firing up all fans and lights work except for GPU fans. There is no display with the GPU installed or uninstalled. I have a gigabyte aorus pro wifi board with amd ryzen 3700x. So far I have checked all connections, and re-sat the ram sticks. There is a red light displaying on the motherboard under "cpu". Multiple searches online I have yet to find anything. Thanks in advance.
The GPU fans not firing up is not necessarily bad since some GPUs have a silent mode where they don't run their fans at idle. Just to confirm - do you have your display plugged into your GPU and not your motherboard? Do you have the GPU power connectors plugged into the PSU? Have you tried a different cable or different display?

Apr 1, 2020
Visit site
The GPU fans not firing up is not necessarily bad since some GPUs have a silent mode where they don't run their fans at idle. Just to confirm - do you have your display plugged into your GPU and not your motherboard? Do you have the GPU power connectors plugged into the PSU? Have you tried a different cable or different display?

Yep tried all of those methods. Tried firing up without GPU, Tried resetting Bios, tried running with one ram stick, still showing the red light.

Zoid

Community Contributor
If you are sure that the CPU and RAM are seated properly, you tried Q-Flash, you tried checking all connections, and you're still getting a CPU debug light and no display, then you might need to contact Gigabyte support. Do you have another CPU or other RAM that you could test in the board? I hate to jump straight to the conclusion of RMAing it, but I don't know of much else you can try. I'll let my other forum brethren weigh in if they have other ideas for you.

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
We have now tried swapping the AIO to the original wraith prism - the fan here does not spin and the cpu light is still red. Are we looking at a CPU issue or motherboard? Think we have narrowed it down to these two? Everything else is working.
Are you 100% sure the power cables are attached correctly? Both for motherboard/cpu/gpu and for fan? Check these. Also the board's manual should have info about the red light and possible meaning.

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
I'm not entirely sure what the issue is here. Is your GPU just not working or is it a red light on your mobo that's an issue? I'm not saying there's nothing wrong but I can't figure out what. If your GPU fans don't spin I'd think that your GPU doesnt work, but the Ryzen 3700X has no integraded graphics right? So if the GPU is not working you shouldn't be able to see anything but yet you were able to reset your BIOS (which makes me think your GPU works. Or did you hard reset the the BIOS?

Also, if you have an ATX motherboard, did you try putting your GPU in the other pcie x16 slot? That can rule out if it's the GPU or maybe the motherboard that's having issues. I'm searching right now but it's indeed hard to find answers. It seems stupid that Gigabyte's manual doesn't make it easy to find anything about post errors.

The only thing I can find is, but I want confirmation, is this your RAM's code? CMW16GX4M2Z3600C18

If I'm right and Ryzen 3xxxx is MAITISSE, that RAM is not on Gigabyte's supported ram list.

Actually, I did have a simular issue, where my PC wouldn't show any display when I booted my PC. All was working 3 minutes earlier as well. What I had to do there was turn off the power switch once or twice, then it did boot. For me that happened after I increased my RAM timings from 2400mhz to 3000mhz.
If you do manage to get to your BIOS, try lowering your ram speeds (for now). Otherwise, check if all cables are plugged in correctly and try switching your PSU off and back on.

From what I read now when googling "CPU LED" is that it can have multiple issues. But as @OsaX Nymloth said, check if all your cables are plugged in correctly. I've had it happen my PC wouldn't boot at all because I didn't connect the mobo cable tight enough.

I keep edditing this post haha. I don't want to doublepost, dislike it. But here's a very long post from Tomshardware with things you can check to try and fix the issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frindis
Apr 1, 2020
Visit site
UPDATE: I had a "M/B D-RGB 3 pin" cable connected to the motherboard it was shorted it out maybe? All seems well now and I am on to installing software. Gigabyte customer support had me go buy another PSU and they thought that was the issue. Man I feel stupid but glad it seems to be a small issue.

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
Glad to hear that! Can we see a picture in Show us your setup?

It's usually just some "stupid" small issue though. Like some people said, it might be that you forget to turn on your PSU which prevents your PC from booting. It might be a cable not connected properly, you forget to remove the plastic cover from your CPU cooler. The harder part is to find out what the issue is :)

Did you just disconnect the cable or (re-)connect it somewhere else? Actually, I quickly looked up the manual of your case, a year ago Phanteks RGB oficially only was compatible with MSI and Asus. Apparently that's still the case, so you just (?) had an incompitable connecter to your motherboard.

Or it was just connected to the wrong header? I'm just guessing here, but if you placed it on the CPU fan LED header maybe that was causing problems?

Reactions: Frindis
Apr 1, 2020
Visit site
Glad to hear that! Can we see a picture in Show us your setup?

It's usually just some "stupid" small issue though. Like some people said, it might be that you forget to turn on your PSU which prevents your PC from booting. It might be a cable not connected properly, you forget to remove the plastic cover from your CPU cooler. The harder part is to find out what the issue is

Did you just disconnect the cable or (re-)connect it somewhere else? Actually, I quickly looked up the manual of your case, a year ago Phanteks RGB oficially only was compatible with MSI and Asus. Apparently that's still the case, so you just (?) had an incompitable connecter to your motherboard.

Or it was just connected to the wrong header? I'm just guessing here, but if you placed it on the CPU fan LED header maybe that was causing problems?

Yep. You are exactly correct ! I just left it off and tucked it away. Seems to be working perfect now. Best part is when I finally got everything together with the lights and fans spinning and my 2 year old goes “woooooowww”. Lol. Hopefully the image below works. Doing this from my phone 😬. I also have a white AIO cooler I’ll be installing tomorrow from Corsair.

[url=https://postimg.cc/Mnw14Y7Z][/URL]

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
UPDATE: I had a "M/B D-RGB 3 pin" cable connected to the motherboard it was shorted it out maybe? All seems well now and I am on to installing software. Gigabyte customer support had me go buy another PSU and they thought that was the issue. Man I feel stupid but glad it seems to be a small issue.

Hah I had a feeling it may be something silly as this. Good you spotted it, even if it costed you a potential grey hair or two :D

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
Yep. You are exactly correct ! I just left it off and tucked it away. Seems to be working perfect now. Best part is when I finally got everything together with the lights and fans spinning and my 2 year old goes “woooooowww”. Lol. Hopefully the image below works. Doing this from my phone 😬. I also have a white AIO cooler I’ll be installing tomorrow from Corsair.

7-D7793-DC-AA8-C-47-B0-99-A4-575-ABB24973-F.jpg

Mnw14Y7Z

That looks amazing! How did you enjoy the building process? Since when you started this topic you said you didn't really want to build it yourself? And how are you liking the case so far? Especially curious because that was my recommendation and I am curious if it worked out haha. But right now it looks like the RGB on your case is working, are you using the small buttons on front of the case to control them?

Also, be careful with replacing coolers. You certainly can, but I've had happen it twice to me now that my CPU followed my cooler when I removed it.

And last: Your picture is showing, but you used the wrong BB for it, so now there's half a link :p. If you can upload it to imgur, and then "share"--> "BB code" and post that here it should show up fine. I changed your picture in my quote now (SORRY!) so it shows up fine.

Apr 1, 2020
Visit site
That looks amazing! How did you enjoy the building process? Since when you started this topic you said you didn't really want to build it yourself? And how are you liking the case so far? Especially curious because that was my recommendation and I am curious if it worked out haha. But right now it looks like the RGB on your case is working, are you using the small buttons on front of the case to control them?

Also, be careful with replacing coolers. You certainly can, but I've had happen it twice to me now that my CPU followed my cooler when I removed it.

And last: Your picture is showing, but you used the wrong BB for it, so now there's half a link . If you can upload it to imgur, and then "share"--> "BB code" and post that here it should show up fine. I changed your picture in my quote now (SORRY!) so it shows up fine.

I love the case. Everything is pretty much plug and play easily. Two buttons on the front control color and "mode". I actually really liked the building process. I'll probably do another or keep upgrading this one several times over!

The cooler was actually already installed. I was at a loss for what to do and I installed the original trying to trouble shoot. In a round about way that is how I found out about the incorrect plug in so I guess it worked lol. Figured since I paid for it I might as well make sure I use it - plus I do like the look of it as far as how clean it is.

Reactions: Inspireless Llama

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
Did you try to install the aio that didn't work? The corsair one? Then an issue is that the PC might not want to boot if there's no fan to the cpu_fan. Also, I think corsairs rgb doesnt work with the motherboard, I am using a lightening node for that. That connects to a USB 2 header.

For the fan I connected the rear fan to the CPU fan header, the pump to aio_pump.

EDIT: NVM I'm really not sure if it works for connecting to mobo or not

Reactions: Oussebon
Apr 1, 2020
Visit site
Did you try to install the aio that didn't work? The corsair one? Then an issue is that the PC might not want to boot if there's no fan to the cpu_fan. Also, I think corsairs rgb doesnt work with the motherboard, I am using a lightening node for that. That connects to a USB 2 header.

For the fan I connected the rear fan to the CPU fan header, the pump to aio_pump.

EDIT: NVM I'm really not sure if it works for connecting to mobo or not

I had the same issue with both fans with that connector installed. However, the Corsair fans were running when I first installed - that connector wasn’t allowing the pc to boot. I plan on installing the aio today again and I guess we will find out !

Apr 1, 2020
Visit site

And last: Your picture is showing, but you used the wrong BB for it, so now there's half a link . If you can upload it to imgur, and then "share"--> "BB code" and post that here it should show up fine. I changed your picture in my quote now (SORRY!) so it shows up fine.

She's complete! I will probably add 2 more RAM sticks in the future just to fill those spots aesthetically but I'm pretty happy. And yes, the CPU pulled with the cooler when i removed it. Little stressful but it all worked out :)

View: https://imgur.com/a/IsyM48Q

TRENDING THREADS