Having PC problems

Feb 19, 2023
Visit site
Hello

Over the last few days my PC have got random blackscreen out of nowhere. I cannot find any kind of pattern. I for sure have some old components:

CPU: FX6300
PSU: Corsair 550 (not sure exactly what model)
GPU: RX590
RAM: 4x2GB

Even tho these are some old pieces they have worked just fine. I am playing csgo, wow, gta. Basically nothing to demanding.

I did some troubleshooting myself: switched GPU (still blackscreen), Reinstalled windows (still black screen) I even took the whole PC apart, cleaned it properly, air dusting and applying new thermal paste on my CPU and GPU. And still the blackscreen occurs. Worth mentioning is that I do not noticed any kind of performance issue before getting blackscreened. I have tried tracking how hot my CPU and GPU gets and when it comes to the CPU it rarely reaches more than 70 C and for the GPU never above 60 (usually around 45-50C). I personally do not think that the GPU, CPU or the RAM is the problem. I am leaning towards the PSU but not sure. What do you guys think?

Feb 19, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to the forum :)

Is the monitor which is black-screening powered by the PSU, or by a separate outlet?

What is the monitor make/model? How old is it?
What kind of cables connect the monitor to the PC?
If it's connected to the GPU, can you try connecting it to the motherboard?

The monitor has 1 power cable into wall socket and 1 hdmi into the GPU (Samsung Odyssey LC24RG50FQUXEN 24"). Then I have another one with the same but instead of a hdmi it uses dvi (i think its called? Looks like a hdmi but one corner cut off) (Samsung Odyssey G3 S27AG320 27")

I have tried to run them together and separately but neither solves the issue. + my motherboard does not have any kind of video input.

(The monitors are somewhat recently bought, less than 1 year on the G3 and less than 2 years on the LC)

Reactions: Brian Boru
Hello

Over the last few days my PC have got random blackscreen out of nowhere. I cannot find any kind of pattern. I for sure have some old components:

CPU: FX6300
PSU: Corsair 550 (not sure exactly what model)
GPU: RX590
RAM: 4x2GB

Even tho these are some old pieces they have worked just fine. I am playing csgo, wow, gta. Basically nothing to demanding.

I did some troubleshooting myself: switched GPU (still blackscreen), Reinstalled windows (still black screen) I even took the whole PC apart, cleaned it properly, air dusting and applying new thermal paste on my CPU and GPU. And still the blackscreen occurs. Worth mentioning is that I do not noticed any kind of performance issue before getting blackscreened. I have tried tracking how hot my CPU and GPU gets and when it comes to the CPU it rarely reaches more than 70 C and for the GPU never above 60 (usually around 45-50C). I personally do not think that the GPU, CPU or the RAM is the problem. I am leaning towards the PSU but not sure. What do you guys think?

I seem to remember 70C sounds quite high for an old AMD FX actually.

AMD says here 70.5 C. IIRC there werent any internal temperature sensors on those chips so the core temp readings were an estimate and could in reality be much higher than that. If its been running at those temps regularly for a long time it could have caused extra wear to the CPU or motherboard components.

What CPU cooler are you using and what program to measure the temperatures?

Dec 23, 2022
Visit site
Check the simple things first: bad cables, sockets. which are the MOST LIKELY problems. clean your drivers out, reinstall. cant hurt.

on the PC:
black screen what pops to mind is GPU/CPU temps memory temps system/graphics.

If you have an older card check if it was affected by ballgrid array manufacturing defects.

on the monitor:
Backlight LED/flouro tube bad. High voltage converter bad, bad capacitors on the powerboard.

since your problems seem to be random, and not load induced, my thoughts on the PSU bad are that, in my experience most graphics cards freak out anytime supplemental power is lost, not just a black screen that is restored, although I wouldnt rule out bad caps on motherboard failing to supply adequate power, that would be very low on my checklist.

• Love
Reactions: Kaamos_Llama
Feb 19, 2023
Visit site
I seem to remember 70C sounds quite high for an old AMD FX actually.

AMD says here 70.5 C. IIRC there werent any internal temperature sensors on those chips so the core temp readings were an estimate and could in reality be much higher than that. If its been running at those temps regularly for a long time it could have caused extra wear to the CPU or motherboard components.

What CPU cooler are you using and what program to measure the temperatures?

Well, 70 is like the maximum Ive seen. Usually much lower, around ~55. (Using coretemp). When it comes to the GPU I see the warmth through Radeon Adrenalin. I am not sure if this is a good measurement-method but the backside of the PC case (approx. where the CPU is) never gets hot. But I am just using some kind of stock CPU-cooler. I even changed out the thermal paste yesterday and didn’t look like it has been to warm there. The old paste (1+ was still left and not totally dry).

I should have a Phenom II somewhere which I could try to use to see if the problem presists. But then I have to look for it. But my gut feeling says that it is not the CPU… Haha

Feb 19, 2023
Visit site
Check the simple things first: bad cables, sockets. which are the MOST LIKELY problems. clean your drivers out, reinstall. cant hurt.

on the PC:
black screen what pops to mind is GPU/CPU temps memory temps system/graphics.

If you have an older card check if it was affected by ballgrid array manufacturing defects.

on the monitor:
Backlight LED/flouro tube bad. High voltage converter bad, bad capacitors on the powerboard.

since your problems seem to be random, and not load induced, my thoughts on the PSU bad are that, in my experience most graphics cards freak out anytime supplemental power is lost, not just a black screen that is restored, although I wouldnt rule out bad caps on motherboard failing to supply adequate power, that would be very low on my checklist.

I already did re-install windows, so that should not be the problem. I have also tried switching out all of my cables, even tried other sets of mouses, keboards, headset etc.

My GPU/CPU temps usually do not reach any high numbers. And the screens are relatively new and Ive also tried with old ones and the problem keeps occuring. (Also tried another GPU). And when it comes to the blackscreen, it does not “restore” itself, thats the problem here, I have to reboot my PC before it works again.

Well, 70 is like the maximum Ive seen. Usually much lower, around ~55. (Using coretemp). When it comes to the GPU I see the warmth through Radeon Adrenalin. I am not sure if this is a good measurement-method but the backside of the PC case (approx. where the CPU is) never gets hot. But I am just using some kind of stock CPU-cooler. I even changed out the thermal paste yesterday and didn’t look like it has been to warm there. The old paste (1+ was still left and not totally dry).

I should have a Phenom II somewhere which I could try to use to see if the problem presists. But then I have to look for it. But my gut feeling says that it is not the CPU… Haha

I think you've identified its a hardware problem by reinstalling Windows so you're at the stage where you need to swap in and out any physical hardware you can one piece at a time. Starting with cables and easier stuff to change as Danthegamer said. Try taking out 2 of the ram sticks and switching to the other RAM slots as well (I'd say one stick but 2GB probably doesnt get you into Windows). Different monitor or TV and different cables for that too if you can. Different SATA motherboard ports for the hard drives as well as cables. Different PCI/E slot for the GPU, and so on.

I'd suspect something on the motherboard just by the law of averages, so many points of failure there.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Feb 19, 2023
Visit site
I think you've identified its a hardware problem by reinstalling Windows so you're at the stage where you need to swap in and out any physical hardware you can one piece at a time. Starting with cables and easier stuff to change as Danthegamer said. Try taking out 2 of the ram sticks and switching to the other RAM slots as well (I'd say one stick but 2GB probably doesnt get you into Windows). Different monitor or TV and different cables for that too if you can. Different SATA motherboard ports for the hard drives as well as cables. Different PCI/E slot for the GPU, and so on.

I'd suspect something on the motherboard just by the law of averages, so many points of failure there.

Well, after a lot of testing this night I have actually been able to narrow it down a lot. But it is more confusing now then ever. The blackscreen/crash-thingy only happens when playing Steam games. Ive been able to play wow for hours without any problems but when I play gta, wow, csgo or gang beasts through steam the blackscreen happens after ~1-30min. Not sure how this works since I reinstallad windows. Maybe it has to do something with a more recent version of my graphics driver that are not compatible with steam games anymore? Currenty just brainstorming since I am not the best at these PC things.

Switch off Steam Overlay.

Steam App > Settings > In-Game
Untick the top 3 boxes.
O7EYBAh.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaamos_Llama

TRENDING THREADS