have you been trolled

At the moment i am hammering a game called satisfactory and have about 1500 hours on it , their seems to be a small group of players for reasons best known to themselves who seem to get a kick out of putting me down whenever i ask or answer a question. Some of the players tabs show that they dont even own the game. I have also come across other people posts have have complained that it is happening to them as well . You have an option to report a post but nothing ever happens , that said , i once got a verbal content complaint send to me from the devs but the odd thing was i studied the thread and i could honestly say i could not see anything wrong in what i had said.

A few years ago on a web site a guy for no apparent reason decided to target me , he posted all the different user names i used AND the different forums i used them on.
Eventually i figured he must be watching me in real time because he printer all my steam game tag names , he even posted my login name that i had not needed to use since i started on steam but the good thing was he did not get other details. Just for fun i changed a game tag to ..... i hate cheats ..... he sent a message to the forum asking me why i hate cheats .
The only way to get all my details removed was to rain abuse on the site until the forum editor removed me and all the revealed things about me.

I sent print outs of everything to the offenders isp but they never got back to me

I think the internet has always been this way. Though either I don't frequent such bad places anymore or maybe it's a bit better than I remember it in the past.

In a previous incarnation of the PC Gamer forum a few of the users thought they were better than the rest of us and would badly troll the forum now and again.

I remember one guy made a new account and threatened to find my address and stab me but that only happened once and was my worst troll experience.

Luckily this time it's much better run.

At the moment i am hammering a game called satisfactory and have about 1500 hours on it , their seems to be a small group of players for reasons best known to themselves who seem to get a kick out of putting me down whenever i ask or answer a question. Some of the players tabs show that they dont even own the game. I have also come across other people posts have have complained that it is happening to them as well . You have an option to report a post but nothing ever happens , that said , i once got a verbal content complaint send to me from the devs but the odd thing was i studied the thread and i could honestly say i could not see anything wrong in what i had said.

A few years ago on a web site a guy for no apparent reason decided to target me , he posted all the different user names i used AND the different forums i used them on.
Eventually i figured he must be watching me in real time because he printer all my steam game tag names , he even posted my login name that i had not needed to use since i started on steam but the good thing was he did not get other details. Just for fun i changed a game tag to ..... i hate cheats ..... he sent a message to the forum asking me why i hate cheats .
The only way to get all my details removed was to rain abuse on the site until the forum editor removed me and all the revealed things about me.

I sent print outs of everything to the offenders isp but they never got back to me
You've got a lot more hours than I do, but I will try to help if you have a question and put it on here.

Steam forums can be pretty miserable places.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Point of order: that's just plain old harassment, not trolling. Trollers are throwing out a bunch of bait to try and get the community riled up. It would be like coming in here and posting about how vastly superior mobile gaming is to PC gaming just to see how many hate messages they get. If it was targeted at one person, it would be 'goading' or 'trying to push their buttons.' Insults might be a part of it, but the point isn't so much to hurt as to get an angry reaction. When you're harassing somebody, you're trying to make the person sad. When you're trolling, you're trying to get them mad enough to punch you in the face.

Reporting posts on Steam forums does work, but it can be slow. Really slow - like days or even weeks. Maybe I was just forgetting, but I've gotten a "your report has been researched and action has been taken" when I hadn't reported anything for months.

OH! You mean Steam CHAT! I've barely used that.

I've never had any really bad experiences like that in any of the forums I frequent, including the Steam forums section for individual games. I have seen that type of behavior though in the Steam forums quite frequently. There seem to be some people who just enjoy making derogatory comments about a game or directed at an individual, which renders some posts into a barrage of personal attacks. Most people try to be helpful, but there's always a few that have that "playground bully" attitude.

Hi zed i have done 2 playthroughs and every machine feeds another 1 and a storage container , i have manufactured everything the game has to offer and your right steam chat is full of A holes
Have you done a build in the northeast corner in the dunes? Resources are all over the place. It's fantastic. You just have to build up a little to float your factory over the dunes, but the place is filled with every sort of resource except for aluminum and uranium if I remember correctly. I think there are 6 or 7 coal nodes, for example, and maybe 20 iron nodes, etc. You can easily build a factory dedicated to just modular frames, for instance.

Anyway, if you haven't started a game there, you might want to give it a try. It's completely different from anywhere else.

People assume the dunes are the most difficult starting location because it's listed last, but it's actually listed last because it was the last starting location created. When the game launched, you didn't have that option.

That said, you and I must play completely differently because I've probably played 10 games in 1000 less hours :) I've made some pretty substantial factories, though, but none of them are fancy like I've seen from other people. They are just basic factories. For instance, here's one of about 7 iron factories in one of my Dunes builds:
chaos-iron.png

I can't remember what I was making there :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I have made a 30 long train to go to that area to collect node items for awesome sink tickets but the high number of points per ticket hardly makes it worth it , when update 6 arrived i started a new playthrough because some nodes got moved and a lot i had in use got buried in the new landscaping

I have made a 30 long train to go to that area to collect node items for awesome sink tickets but the high number of points per ticket hardly makes it worth it , when update 6 arrived i started a new playthrough because some nodes got moved and a lot i had in use got buried in the new landscaping
OH HELL

You go much bigger than I do, apparently. Would like to see one of your builds some time. I enjoy the early and middle game more than the end, so I tend to start over a lot, I guess.

Reactions: Pifanjr
May 11, 2022
Visit site
Here's an easy analogy :

Look at the difference between PC Gamer's Disqus comments and this forum. One is an absolute junkyard, the other is full of geniuses.

That's the same difference between Steam Forums and game specific subreddits. Unless we're talking about a niche game like let's say Baja : Edge of control the best racing game ever made, I have to use the steam forums but the community is so small that there aren't many troglodytes.

Satisfactory is a fairly big game, if you want a good community I'd wager you'll find it on Reddit way more than the Steam Forums.

I remember once I posted a comment on a Wreckfest update asking why it was 8gb even thought there wasn't any new tracks in there (that's just how the structure of the game is), because I actually wanted to know, and I unwittingly started a massive tidal wave of rabid idiots complaining they had to download 8gb every time. I thought maybe that's a common thing so I scrolled back to older updates and no one was bothered by it. I felt so bad but that's steam for you.

As much as I think gaming is the most interesting and varied form of artistic expression, I have quite a few problems with the gamers themselves at large. I don't like them very much actually and what you're experiencing is a big reason why.

I'm 40 years old. I have to remind myself constantly that some of the people who act like this are probably less than half my age so I should not expect everyone to write 15 paragraphs explaining in details why gaming-internet is annoying like I just did. "W0r$t G@mz AvuR" will usually do the trick for them and that's "okay".

That's crazy. By chance do you post on the IGN PC forums? A guy over there is saying pretty much the same thing about all of his accounts being hacked.

generally speaking rule of thumb is to ignore them. Starting a verbal war is never a good idea as thats what they want
2 very sound advices, especially the 2nd. I've owned or modded a number of forums or groups in the last 20+ years, and 'getting stuck in' is never a good idea. Even if you 'win' the argument hands down, you still diminish your standing in the community just because you engaged with a troll.

Humor, or being over-complimentary reverse-psychology style, can sometimes work, if you must engage. Also bear in mind that someone may just be having a really bad day IRL, especially if they're usually fine to deal with.

I choose to take this literally
Since you're on both, have you figured out which is which?

Look at the difference between PC Gamer's Disqus comments and this forum. One is an absolute junkyard, the other is full of geniuses.
I like working in this Junkyard

Not egotistical enough to think here is the latter. That and I have only seen one side.

Have I been trolled? I have been on IRC and DIscord for about 20 years now, and on various forums, so... yes.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2022
Visit site
I am continually trolled by @Brian Boru it is only @Frindis broad shoulders that keep me here and the regular updates from @Colif about Diablo Immoral that keeps me going.

On a more serious response, I feel you waste your energy giving the trolls time of day, your attention and allowing them to get you down. If there is features to block them or hide their posts, I'd suggest going for that first. It really isn't worth your time and effort, I've learned the hard way through arguing with trolls in the past and gaming is my happy space to escape world problems, my anxiety and depression. It's probably not the best place to come given how toxic the society can be, but you do meet some genuinely great people like the guys in this thread. Certainly helps outweighs the trolls.

May 11, 2022
Visit site
I like working in this Junkyard

Not egotistical enough to think here is the latter. That and I have only seen one side.

Have I been trolled? I have been on IRC and DIscord for about 20 years now, and on various forums, so... yes.

I used to like working there too and help upvote good comments but somehow ended up shadowbanned even though I make a point of being pleasant online.

I have never been in Discuss. It seems strange to me it kept existing after forums were created, but I just a volunteer, no control over what admin do. Community split up between here, Discus and DIscord. I don't know what experience is like in Discuss. I expect you just leave comments.

Would be better combined I feel but forums are old form of communication and the kids all think Discord is new... lol. Its IRC with a better interface. Instant chat works for some things but not long term discussions over weeks... its impossible to track them unless its a quiet channel.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Instant chat works for some things but not long term discussions
Even email loops don't work for that, never mind chat. I had to admin a couple of OneList / eGroups / Yahoo Groups email loops ~20 years ago and it was a mess—everyone kept quoting the whole thread in every reply!

seems strange to me it kept existing after forums were created
My limited experience is there's an audience for each different comms type, without much overlap—people just are/get comfy with one. I also ran a blog for a few years, and that attracted a whole other audience who never came near our forums.

There's also a difference between 'Type your comment' & 'Click this link and type your comment'—web designers still seriously underestimate how much traffic they lose via each extra 'job to be done', like clicking or scrolling etc.

They can create threads on Discord now though I don't think its implemented on the PCG server - https://support.discord.com/hc/en-us/articles/4403205878423-Threads-FAQ - so a way to track things long term. We ignored the feature on the Tom's Discord. We have a forum for that sort of thing... getting people to post there is hard. People expect us to help them there... um, most mods treat it as an escape and don't want to answer questions there as well.

I was on a forum once that had IRC built onto front page. That sort of worked. I don't see similar for discord though.

oh god, its trying to take over - https://support.discord.com/hc/en-us/articles/6208479917079-Forum-Channels-FAQ

Reactions: Brian Boru
wooden saucer ........ the answer to your question is/was yes.

See if you can work this out ... on that site i signed uo with a different name , a different isp email address and a different name , i looked at posts but before i even contributed anything the editor contacted me and said ..... i know who you are and if you attempt to post anything i will report you to your isp . I sent that to his own isp but they are not allowed to comment on action taken.

The editor used to say ..... going on holiday but taking laptop with me so make sure none of you step out of line.

Got a bit of a victory on the steam satisfactory discussions page.

Snutt [developer] 16 hours ago

locking thread as OP got their answer and this thread has been mostly personal attacks since
Last edited by Snutt; 16 hours ago

Reactions: WoodenSaucer
I never been trolled like that, i dont make a big enough indent in social stuff to be "targeted" but, true story...

Going back to the Myspace days, i had to help my sister (shes not computer literate at all) track down this woman who was obsessed with her looks and style and music. She created several fake myspace pages using her image and likeliness. Through trying to contact support and figuring out passwords. I was able to track it back to some woman who was twice our age. Really weird, didnt see anything after i emailed her a strongly worded message.

I once set up a face book acc just to play a few silly games , put nothing in profile boxes and 2 month later somebody built a fake me. All i did to get in was do forgot password , i posted a huge message saying profile hacked and printed it off because it was a very contraversial profile ...
Anti everything

TRENDING THREADS