Have Gamers become Junkies?

Jan 13, 2024
Visit site
Do you think many gamers are 'in control' of their habit? Has gaming become the equivalent of a socially acceptable drug?

I'm not talking about cellphone gambling games, as I think most people into 'real games' can easily see the foibles of them.

I'm talking about mainstream gaming, what are considered the 'real games'. Are we in a time period where the industry as a whole has lowered the bar of expectations enough that those who 'need' to game are going to buy something, anyways? There's a more or less direct comparison to the use of illicit substances, where a person gets hooked on high grade material, then as their addiction takes over, they succumb to the use of drastically lower grade substances. Often to their own physical harm and mental detriment, they carry on the throes of addiction regardless of any self-concern.

With games that are made today essentially, again like drugs, being 'cut' with diluting substances. Being force injected with 'forced inclusion', all having Denuvo stuttering fps with constant online checks, propaganda games to teach players the mystical arts of 'nun fu', more and more propaganda and symbols of propaganda being used in games, games being released unfinished and using a random dice roll to decide if the developer is going to patch the game until it's functional or not.

But people still are buying them, anyways? Do you think those people still buying games have free will, and are able to exercise choice anymore over their decisions concerning video games, or have gamers become the equivalent of digital homeless, camping out in their sidewalk tent cities, overseen and bullied by the local slum lord forum police, reduced to empty shells of human beings that exist at this point only to feed their addiction at the expense of all else?

Reactions: Alm and neogunhero
I don't know if its at the same level as physical addiction as you can stop playing "most" games and not need to worry about physical reactions... I said most as Play to win games where you playing for someone else (it happens in some countries) and you can get hurt by them for not playing.

For most people its not something you have to do. There will be a small group who are effected mentally perhaps but time heals... its just a game.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
@Colif brings up an interesting topic. Mental vs. physical addiction. For the addictee, I'm not sure there is much of a difference. What is certain is that some, very small numbers relatively speaking, take any sort of addiction to extremes.

This is a topic not specific to gamers, where some forget that we are talking about games (not life-altering things).

Yea as someone who has more than the average persons experience of dealing with addicts and addiction, I can tell you its a symptom of a deeper issue almost always. But I dont think thats what we are talking about here.

I think the market still rules the product. If something doesnt sell then devs will move towards something that does, especially in AAA where infinite growth is expected. GAAS and FTP made a ton of money, so lots of devs are trying that. Turns out theres not enough people willing to play only one game forever that a huge amount of those can exist concurrently. Then people like Larian, Remedy and Fromsoft are all selling well with single player games made as a game first , rather than a product born out of focus groups and market trends.

Personally I never experienced any issues with Denuvo, but I do agree anti piracy measure are usually counter productive.

As for 'forced inclusion', thats another function of market demographics. They want to sell to EVERYONE, and the people who make games are also diverse. Put those together and its not surprising we have more POC, female and LGBT character in games. Its a symptom of the culture, and of the changes in the younger generations. The cart isnt leading the horse IMO.

I think it's more the other way around. People that have a problem with addiction are more likely to be gamers because gaming is such a huge thing. Gaming has grown hugely in the last ten years.

What are think is a more problematic issue is the rise of social media and younger people being addicted to their phones and checking for updates every other minute.

Reactions: Brian Boru and Alm
I am not addicted to games, I may binge play one for months/years at a time but I also have about the same amount of time when I don't play any at all. recent years its more likely I am not playing anything... but thats out of lack of choice in the genres I play.

they habit forming for sure, but most people can break the habit.

I do wonder about people that have always had video games in their lives. The community appeal can be hard to escape. All your friends in there. Online can make it hard to stop.

The first game I got addicted to playing was probably Super Metroid, and I was almost 29 at the time... hardly a kid. But unlike speedrunners I stopped once I finished it... might have taken a while. I do remember wondering what I was meant to do once I was finished but I found something... the internet wasn't there to suggest a new game in the 1980's.

more than a bit of hyperbole

Well that's an understatement of epic proportions, matched only by the secret worldwide organization of alien Pokémon invaders intent on corrupting the unsuspecting human donkeys who are deluded by their bright mind-altering colorful lights.

Has gaming become the equivalent of a socially acceptable drug?

You mean in the same way as…
Drinking alcohol
Watching TV
Using smartphone
Reading books
Listening to music
Working long hours
…that sort of thing, and the many more product and activity categories where consumers are preyed on by the highly skilled marketing professionals.

Is that what you have in mind?

• Haha
Reactions: Pifanjr and COLGeek

Zloth

Community Contributor
WoW immediately comes to mind and a couple folks I know.
WoW and other MMOs are a different case, IMHO. I'm betting the people wanting to keep playing aren't looking to just get into the game and play with random people or completely solo. The big thing with the MMOs is that you aren't just playing with friends, your friends really need you to get in there and help. Not wanting to miss out is a strong motivator, but that's starting to verge on letting your friends down! "We wanted to do that one dungeon, but we couldn't find a healer. Where were you, COLGeek!?"

For single player games, though? No, not that addictive. If there's no games, I revert to what I did before there were video games: read a book.

Do you think many gamers are 'in control' of their habit? Has gaming become the equivalent of a socially acceptable drug?

I'm not talking about cellphone gambling games, as I think most people into 'real games' can easily see the foibles of them.

I'm talking about mainstream gaming, what are considered the 'real games'. Are we in a time period where the industry as a whole has lowered the bar of expectations enough that those who 'need' to game are going to buy something, anyways? There's a more or less direct comparison to the use of illicit substances, where a person gets hooked on high grade material, then as their addiction takes over, they succumb to the use of drastically lower grade substances. Often to their own physical harm and mental detriment, they carry on the throes of addiction regardless of any self-concern.

With games that are made today essentially, again like drugs, being 'cut' with diluting substances. Being force injected with 'forced inclusion', all having Denuvo stuttering fps with constant online checks, propaganda games to teach players the mystical arts of 'nun fu', more and more propaganda and symbols of propaganda being used in games, games being released unfinished and using a random dice roll to decide if the developer is going to patch the game until it's functional or not.

But people still are buying them, anyways? Do you think those people still buying games have free will, and are able to exercise choice anymore over their decisions concerning video games, or have gamers become the equivalent of digital homeless, camping out in their sidewalk tent cities, overseen and bullied by the local slum lord forum police, reduced to empty shells of human beings that exist at this point only to feed their addiction at the expense of all else?
I think games are meant to get people hooked in numerous ways. It could be in game rewards, or gaining a certain in game status, achievements, etc, or it could be hormonal releases like dopamine, adrenaline, etc.

I also think gaming is a form of escapism which appeals these days.

I think people generally crave something that will stimulate and excite them and in moderation gaming isn't any different to getting excited about the latest film or album release.

But I think most gamers are in control, they probably don't get into debt to buy games and they know when to take a break. It's only a small minority that don't, play too much and end up blurring the line between virtual and real.

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts