Question GPU OR CPU UPGRADE?

Nov 17, 2020
Visit site
So i finaly saved up some money to upgrade my build.But im not sure if its better to buy a new gpu or cpu.
My build:
CPU:i3-6100 3.6ghz
GPU:R9 380 4gb
RAM: 8gm 1666 ddr4

So my build is low mid tier im upgrading my ram up to 16gb and getting a new monitor.
Im worried that even if i buy a new GPU its gonna be bottlenecked by my less than satisfactory CPU.
Even if i buy a new CPU its gonna be held back a bit because of the other components.
Upgrading my graphics is more expensive so is it better if i just bought a mid tier procesor like an i 5 or something or just upgrade the graphics.
Not sure whats more optimal for gaming preformance.

Do you play particular genres of games? Some are CPU-intensive, some load the graphics—the info will help more expert people to help you.

While we wait for an expert, my guess is the i5 is the better choice. Your GPU is around 4-5 years old it seems, while the i3 came out around a decade ago.

What resolution is your new monitor and what refresh rate. An older CPU is going to bottleneck a high refresh rate 1080p monitor.

If this is your case I'd almost certainly go with a better (not newer) CPU if you can find one.

Be aware that you need a intel CPU that your motherboard supports. intel frequently changes socket type and sometimes even support on the same socket.

Nov 17, 2020
Visit site
Do you play particular genres of games? Some are CPU-intensive, some load the graphics—the info will help more expert people to help you.

While we wait for an expert, my guess is the i5 is the better choice. Your GPU is around 4-5 years old it seems, while the i3 came out around a decade ago.
Well the new set up would mostly be for future games that i plan to get.Like maybe Cyberpunk, Asassins creed (newer) The isle and ARK survival.
Games i play now multiplayer are Sea of Thives Lol and Rainbow six so my current set up is giving me decent performance on those games.
I know what you mean and i would guess the games i plan on playing are more GPU intensive.But still if my GPU is bottlenecked by my old CPU maybe it wont matter.

Nov 17, 2020
Visit site
whats your budget?
the i3 is a dual core so not the best (the newer i3 is a 4 core ), but as above what kind of games do you want to play?
Around 400 euros.Games i plan to play whit the new set up are:
Cyberpunk
Asassins creed Odyssey
The isle
Ark survival
So these are games that are deff more GPU focused but still if its held back by my older CPU maybe it wont matter so thats the whole point of the question.Would i be just pointlessly upgrading my graphics.

Nov 17, 2020
Visit site
What resolution is your new monitor and what refresh rate. An older CPU is going to bottleneck a high refresh rate 1080p monitor.

If this is your case I'd almost certainly go with a better (not newer) CPU if you can find one.

Be aware that you need a intel CPU that your motherboard supports. intel frequently changes socket type and sometimes even support on the same socket.
The new monitor im eyeing out is full hd whit an 144hz refresh rate and 1ms respond time.So its great for only around 200 euros.But honestly the more i look at my specs the more im thinking of maybe not getting a new monitor rather get a new CPU at a similar price point.
The only thing that's holding me back is my current monitor which is also full HD, but only 60hz and a 4ms respond time.But since im not a competitive gamer so i can live whit the slower response time but the one thing that bothers me is that it dosen't have V sync and if i get the new GPU an the CPU ill be outputting more than 60 frames per second on most games that i would play and therefore experience screen tear.

Oct 2, 2020
Visit site
you're restricted with your dual core cpu, you have th option of finding an i5/i7 skylake or kabylake cpu for your currnet motherboard, buying a new cpu and motherboard.

also updating the gfx card, again depends what you have left from above, as a Nvidia 16xx is where you're budget puts you, with the any update.

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS