gpu for elden ring

Oct 23, 2022
Visit site
Hello! I'm a complete amateur with limited knowledge and a limited budget. I'm on Ryzen 3, present gpu is old 7400. monitor is 1440 I think—don't have that machine in front of me now.

I've always been able to get along, slowly, with under spec machines, but for Elden Ring you need a top machine or forget it?
A better gpu would not help me?
Thanks for your help!

Oct 23, 2022
Visit site
My original question was where can I buy a reasonably priced gpu for elden ring--I see a 5500 for $110--would that do it? Prices seem to be coming down.
I assume used gpus are burned out from mining.

Hi, I understand you may not have any technical knowledge but without knowing the make and model of your equipment its not possible to recommend anything and be certain you werent wasting your money. It may be that your PSU doesnt have the correct power connectors, is not powerful enough, or that your case is too small for some cards.

If youre talking above about a Radeon RX 5500 4GB then its around the minimum specs for Elden Ring on PC. Your CPU may not be though depending on which model of Ryzen 3 it is exactly. The Radeon RX5500 probably requires an extra 8pin PCI-E power connector from your PSU and is probably a double slot card meaning it needs two expansion slots on the back of your case. Some of that will depend on the exact model of Radeon RX5500 we are talking about as well.

If you have a monitor with a resolution of 2560x1440 then a Radeon RX 5500 from what I can find it looks like its playable for the most part at that resolution at low settings. A lot of that would depend on your CPU as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru
I'm happy to help :) But:

Elden Ring Minimum specifications:

• Processor: Intel Core i5 8400 or AMD Ryzen 3 3300X.
  • Memory: 12GB RAM.
  • Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 1060 3GB or AMD Radeon RX 580 4GB.
  • DirectX: 12.
  • Storage: 60GB.
What we know about your specifications:

Ryzen 3

There are 3 generations of Ryzen 3 from the 1200 to the 4100, only the Ryzen 3 3300X is above minimum recommended specs for Elden Ring. AMD's CPU naming scheme is very confusing with some older chip designs having higher numbers.

I have played 130 hours of Elden Ring. The game runs badly on CPU's above the minimum specs at times, and if you dont have 12GB of RAM, which also seems likely to me, I'm not sure it will run at all with what you have.

Not trying to dazzle you with science, just stating facts. It might be possible to mod the game to run on lower spec machines but that will take some research, wrangling and compromises.

I dont know what country you are in or what your budget is either. We also still dont know what the make and model of your Power Supply Unit is so I cant recommend you buy anything because theres no way to know if it will work or not, or even if it does work that it wont fry your whole system.

Reactions: Why_Me
Oct 23, 2022
Visit site
I see a 580 for $88 on Newegg--import from China--is that a safe buy--an experiment?

P. S. You are scaring people away! I have gamed for years on subpar equipment--no fast shooting--rpg's.

I wouldnt advise it, its false economy to buy extra cheap.

I'm not trying to scare anyone away by stating facts. Elden Ring is a demanding game, as demanding or more than many fast paced shooters, if you want to mod the game following a low spec guide to get it to work its probably possible to make it squeeze through with a lot of work on lower spec equipment.

I'm going to quote @Zloth here from another thread because I think this is it in a nut shell.

Minimum specs: it's pretty likely that you'll be able to play the whole game at the lowest settings. If you haven't got this level of hardware, they don't even want you to try to play the game. Let me emphasize: a company does not want your money! Let that sink in before you buy. Sure, some people will be able to squeak through with even lower stats, but when the people who stand to make a profit off of that are telling you that you shouldn't try, maybe you should go play something else.

Everything else is bull. If you've got the minimum, you can (barely) play the game. If you've got better, the game will do better. If you want to know how various hardware advances help various systems within the game, you'll need to look elsewhere for a detailed analysis.

As far as for your GPU. You still didnt state what PSU and case you have. So theres no way to know if any GPU you buy will have the right connectors for a new GPU, if it can safely provide enough power, or even if it will physically fit inside your case.

I want to help but you need to provide more information before we can.

Oct 23, 2022
Visit site
I wouldnt advise it, its false economy to buy extra cheap.

I'm not trying to scare anyone away by stating facts. Elden Ring is a demanding game, as demanding or more than many fast paced shooters, if you want to mod the game following a low spec guide to get it to work its probably possible to make it squeeze through with a lot of work on lower spec equipment.

I'm going to quote @Zloth here from another thread because I think this is it in a nut shell.

As far as for your GPU. You still didnt state what PSU and case you have. So theres no way to know if any GPU you buy will have the right connectors for a new GPU, if it can safely provide enough power, or even if it will physically fit inside your case.

I want to help but you need to provide more information before we can.
Laid out $150 and Elden is running: 580 GPU and more memory. Still using base Ryden 3.
Well, millionaire status not needed.

Reactions: Brian Boru