Good "Halloween" games?

I can recommend Resident Evil 7: Biohazard. Even though I am a big wuss not being able to complete it yet, I can promise you it is very, VERY scary. I also tried a little slice of the demo for The Mortuary Assistant and that one seems to be even scarier to the point of me not managing to get further than looking around and then trying not to look around because nasty things seem to appear in all the corners, windows, you name it! There is also Visage and this has one of the sickest intros I have ever seen, can't even explain it here. It's also one of those scary games I tried out, but failed to do much in, so yeah, probably gonna scare you just a tad.

There is also the creepy Manhunt game. Extremely violent, scary at times, and packed full of delicious gore. That one I did manage to finish, but I did feel a bit nauseous after, kind of like you do after watching a very gory movie. Oh, that reminds me of another one: This is one of my favorites and is an interactive adventure game with gore. It is called Phantasmagoria and also not for the faint of heart, but man, it soooo good and perfect for Halloween.

Last edited:
It's spooky season and I'm wanting to get into the spirit of things. Do you have a favorite game with a Halloween vibe -- either because it's scary and full of horror (Doom, Quake, etc), or because it has supernatural aspects (...the vampire scenario in Plague, Inc, anyone?)?
I play a ton of horror games (even though I don't get scared for some reason), but you seem to want a game with just a dash of horror, so maybe something like Dying Light would work. I've liked all of the Resident Evil games. too.

I can recommend Resident Evil 7: Biohazard. Even though I am a big wuss not being able to complete it yet, I can promise you it is very, VERY scary. I also tried a little slice of the demo for The Mortuary Assistant and that one seems to be even scarier to the point of me not managing to get further than looking around and then trying not to look around because nasty things seem to appear in all the corners, windows, you name it! There is also Visage and this has one of the sickest intros I have ever seen, can't even explain it here. It's also one of those scary games I tried out, but failed to do much in, so yeah, probably gonna scare you just a tad.

There is also the creepy Manhunt game. Extremely violent, scary at times, and packed full of delicious gore. That one I did manage to finish, but I did feel a bit nauseous after, kind of like you do after watching a very gory movie. Oh, that reminds me of another one: This is one of my favorites and is an interactive adventure game with gore. It is called Phantasmagoria and also not for the faint of heart, but man, it soooo good and perfect for Halloween.
REVII is by far the scariest Resident Evil game. REVIII has its moments, but Capcom decided that VII was actually too scary, so they toned it down just a little.

Jun 27, 2023
Visit site
Little Nightmares
Outlast
Slenderman can be relatively fun in the short term.
Dying Light
The Hunt

At one point there was some random PC game trending that horrified people, but it was of the same experience to Slenderman, you'd run around a house collecting clues or investigating while a demon-witch tries to kill you through some form of objects and stuff.. can't remember the name of it for the life of me.

Oct 5, 2023
Visit site
Phasmophobia has probably been the most popular horror game of the last few years, but it's mostly co-op.
I loved Phasmophobia!! playing with friends was easily the best part. a lot of people i found liked Devour and Dead By Daylight because of the multiplayer aspect too

It's spooky season and I'm wanting to get into the spirit of things. Do you have a favorite game with a Halloween vibe -- either because it's scary and full of horror (Doom, Quake, etc), or because it has supernatural aspects (...the vampire scenario in Plague, Inc, anyone?)?
i'd recommend Doki Doki Literature Club

McStabStab

Community Contributor
Each year my wife and I do a playthrough of one of the Dark Pictures Anthology games. We've done Man of Medan, Little Hope, and are about halfway through House of Ashes. They're great for folks who don't play many games because they're generally quicktime event focused for gameplay.

Outside of those, I love most horror games. Naturally the Resident Evil Series contains some of my favorites, but a few lessor known titles to check out:

Signalis - A traditional pixel art sci-fi survival horror that should win an award for art direction.
DUSKERS - Another sci-fi game. Command drones using text commands through infested spacecraft.
Inscryption - A deck building game with unsettling antagonists and an ominous storyline.

Each year my wife and I do a playthrough of one of the Dark Pictures Anthology games. We've done Man of Medan, Little Hope, and are about halfway through House of Ashes. They're great for folks who don't play many games because they're generally quicktime event focused for gameplay.

Outside of those, I love most horror games. Naturally the Resident Evil Series contains some of my favorites, but a few lessor known titles to check out:

Signalis - A traditional pixel art sci-fi survival horror that should win an award for art direction.
DUSKERS - Another sci-fi game. Command drones using text commands through infested spacecraft.
Inscryption - A deck building game with unsettling antagonists and an ominous storyline.
I love the Dark Pictures Anthology. My advice to anyone who may play this over the Halloween period is to crank your mouse DPI up to maximum. Most of the quick-time events are simple things like "click in the circle" (based on my faulty memory), and the games mess with your mouse speed (and other things). I've never been more astonished at failing a QTE than I was when the game told me to click in a circle in the middle of the screen and I failed to do it :ROFLMAO:

As far as QTEs go, these are pretty fair and fun so long as you know what to expect, and I found them fairly challenging. I used to complete Telltale games without ever failing a QTE, but I definitely failed a few in this series.

Actually, it wasn't all that great even in its time. If you play it, for pity's sake bring the little snowman doll with you. I didn't and had to witness my head being split open dozens of times.
I'm just curious because you know I'm reading challenged, and you often don't use the quote feature, but was this in response to my post about Phasmophobia, which is a different game from the one you linked? @Pifanjr has confused the names before, and I was wondering if you did the same.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Zed liked that, but I found I way too slow to get going so I dropped it—I'm not a long intro guy :D
Not YET anyway!
I'm just curious because you know I'm reading challenged, and you often don't use the quote feature, but was this in response to my post about Phasmophobia, which is a different game from the one you linked? @Pifanjr has confused the names before, and I was wondering if you did the same.
Nope, but every time somebody says Phasmophobia, I think of Phantasmagoria, so out it came!

DUSKERS is such a great game. I've never properly finished it or a run or however it's setup, but I always go back to it and play it a little bit, especially when I have a low power laptop that can't run much and doesn't have a good touchpad.

Oct 14, 2023
Visit site
Someone already said this, but Phasmophobia is great. It's fun to play with all the lights off at night with some friends. Has a bit of a learning curve, but I'd say it's worth it. Theres a spooky little halloween update too.

Reactions: Smellincoffee

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts