Getting an XBox like experience on Windows 11 PC

Dec 31, 2022
Visit site
I have a Windows 11 PC in my den connected to my bedroom TV via HDMI cable bored through the wall. I would like to use an XBox controller to create an XBox like experience where I don't have to login to my PC when using the controller, however behaving like a regular PC when I use my mouse and keyboard in my den. While using my controller it would be great if it gives me access to only my games and not the entire PC. Is there an application that can make this happen?

You are probably better off asking at a forum specialiced on media setups but i think most of them use remotes to controll windows. I don't know of all apps out there but i have never heard of one that recognice a controller being used and then does mojo to windows to make it behave totally different. Closest is probably as stated above, steam big picture mode, you can probably combine that with some kind of remote controll so you don't have to use a keyboard but that would still not get passed the password requirement, which you can remove btw BUT I WOULD IN NO WAY IN BELSEBUBS MARSMELLOWCREAM RECOMEND REMOVING THE WINDOWS PASSWORD! You could ofc get a camera that works with windows hello and then have that camera do Face ID to let you log in w/o password.

If you do find an app for this please let me know, would be interesting to look at.

Welcome to the forum :)

I don't have to login to my PC when using the controller

Is the PC powered on at this point?
Have you logged on a user?
Has it gone into hibernation due to power saving setting?
As @Zloth said, is it locked waiting for password?

While using my controller it would be great if it gives me access to only my games and not the entire PC

I'm only guessing here, but that might be doable via a different user account with very limited access privileges.

Windows has always had 'Wake on LAN' functionality, which might lead towards a solution, if there is one. Do please let us know how you get on, interesting question :)

PS I'm moving from General Gaming to Hardware forum, where other people may have something else to offer.

Reactions: Lil Dyslexic doG
Oct 23, 2023
Visit site
I have a Windows 11 PC in my den connected to my bedroom TV via HDMI cable bored through the wall. I would like to use an XBox controller to create an XBox like experience where I don't have to login to my PC when using the controller, however behaving like a regular PC when I use my mouse and keyboard in my den. While using my controller it would be great if it gives me access to only my games and not the entire PC. Is there an application that can make this happen?
You can first enable game mode in Windows. But I would also recommend using Controller Companion for convenient management.

If you are using Steam, you can do what you are wanting without the hole in the wall. Download the Steam Link app on your TV and run the setup. Now just run Steam Link on your TV and it will become your new monitor.

But since you already have the hole, just go to the next step.

All you need to do now is pick up your controller and press the guide button. That will launch Steam Big Picture, which is made for use with a controller. No reason to ever go to the PC so long as it's on and doesn't need a password. Just change the settings so it doesn't go to sleep.

lol at @Zloth with his screensaver. XD Haven't heard about those in many years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lil Dyslexic doG

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts