Gaming Monitor Please Help?

Jun 19, 2020
Visit site
Hi,

It is very hard to find a Monitor with VESA DisplayHDR 600 or above that is 4k and 60Hz, However 4k at 144hz with VESA DisplayHDR 600 or above is much more common. I don't care much for 144hz as My Hardware won't take advantage of 144hz Refresh

So my ultimate question: Is it possible to lock a 144hz Monitor at 60hz so I can Benefit from The VESA DisplayHDR 600 or higher?

Also, will the 144hz monitor locked at 60hz work and behave as if the monitor had a native refresh of 60hz or will it have detrimental performance Penalties for using it at 60hz instead of 144hz that's all I would like to know Please?

Any Help is Much Appreciated
Many Thanks.

May 31, 2020
Visit site
You can set any 144Hz monitor to 60Hz without problems. Either change the max refresh rate using the monitor on screen controls, or specify a refresh rate in Windows.

Click Start, search for "Advanced display settings", click "Display adapter properties for display", click the Monitor tab, then select a refresh rate and apply. Or much less long winded if you're using an NVIDIA card right click the desktop and select NVIDIA control panel then you can specify a refresh rate along with a resolution. Sure AMD has similar tools but I've never had one of their cards so don't know the process.

Monitor will handle lower rates without any issues. I would encourage you to try a higher refresh though on some older games that are easy to run. Recently got a 165Hz monitor and it's a revelation after never having used anything higher than 60Hz. Couldn't go back (the old monitor is relegated to a second screen now - Windows will even mix and match refresh rates of multi monitor displays without problem)

Reactions: zippygeorgeandben
Jun 19, 2020
Visit site
You can set any 144Hz monitor to 60Hz without problems. Either change the max refresh rate using the monitor on screen controls, or specify a refresh rate in Windows.

Click Start, search for "Advanced display settings", click "Display adapter properties for display", click the Monitor tab, then select a refresh rate and apply. Or much less long winded if you're using an NVIDIA card right click the desktop and select NVIDIA control panel then you can specify a refresh rate along with a resolution. Sure AMD has similar tools but I've never had one of their cards so don't know the process.

Monitor will handle lower rates without any issues. I would encourage you to try a higher refresh though on some older games that are easy to run. Recently got a 165Hz monitor and it's a revelation after never having used anything higher than 60Hz. Couldn't go back (the old monitor is relegated to a second screen now - Windows will even mix and match refresh rates of multi monitor displays without problem)

Many Thanks as I never owned a monitor beyond 60hz, I am now worried if it will impact VESA DisplayHDR 600/1000, HDR Performance if I set a 144hz Monitor at 60hz?

I don't care much for 144hz as My Hardware won't take advantage of 144hz Refresh
Monitors that have 4k and 120/144hz typically have adaptive sync, which you'd use in preference to trying to religiously stick to 60hz/fps anyway.

Let's say you're getting 50fps or 72fps, it will make the monitor run at 50hz or 72hz instead of 144hz, or whatever. Assuming your GPU supports the monitor's kind of adaptive sync, ofc.

Reactions: Berious and Medz_GB

TRENDING THREADS