Gaming moments that gave you the tingles.

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
@Volley @Sarafan Command and Conquer was the first RTS I ever played so its should definitely be on my list. All the sound effects from it were great. even the basic minigunners and the AI voice. I think also its the first soundtrack for a game that I remember really thinking of as actual music rather then just being computer game music. Those FMV cut scenes as well, good times.

I wish I loved The Witcher 3, but after trying for 100 hours according to Steam, I just can't love it like nearly everyone else. I think I spent half of that game time playing Gwent.

@StingingVelvet I remember I loved Deus Ex, I got really into that world and reading all the newspapers etc led around in a way that game worlds dont often get me anymore. I'd like to see a remaster of the original. Human Revolution was O.K but didnt live up to the original for me.

@Zloth Nier is one those games, I've picked it up twice and played 10 hours and faded out of it for life reasons. I'll pick it up again some day and get through it, I enjoyed my time with it and its definitley original although I havent been able to avoid some spoilers at least in regards to the second playthrough.

Reactions: Volley
The Witcher 3, The tower outta nowheres quest.

By Witcher 3 standards, the quest wasn't that great, but I loved how it poked fun at DRM.

Short story: There's a tower that has something called a Defensive Regulatory Magicon, and that attacks its owner. You have to find something called, Gottfried's Omni-opening Grimoire, to defeat it.

Reactions: Sarafan

Zloth

Community Contributor
By Witcher 3 standards, the quest wasn't that great, but I loved how it poked fun at DRM.
Screenshots are your friends!
full

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Those FMV cut scenes as well, good times.

They don't make cut scenes with true actors anymore unfortunately. The infamous C&C4 was the last big game that had this feature. I miss these and I miss the old, good C&C.

I wish I loved The Witcher 3, but after trying for 100 hours according to Steam, I just can't love it like nearly everyone else. I think I spent half of that game time playing Gwent.

What did you dislike so much in the game? It's a more modern approach to the genre and I enjoyed it greatly to the point that I'm planning to do a second playthrough. The Witcher 3 has a very specific and nice pace which I like to call "flow", one of its biggest advantages.

@StingingVelvet I remember I loved Deus Ex, I got really into that world and reading all the newspapers etc led around in a way that game worlds dont often get me anymore. I'd like to see a remaster of the original.

There are some great mods like Revision which refresh the game in a significant way. You can do your own remaster. :)

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama
What did you dislike so much in the game? It's a more modern approach to the genre and I enjoyed it greatly to the point that I'm planning to do a second playthrough. The Witcher 3 has a very specific and nice pace which I like to call "flow", one of its biggest advantages.

I didnt dislike it that much, I played it for 100 hours!

It just isnt one of my favorite games. Too much checklisting made it feel like work for one thing.

I realize I'm in a vast minority, but in short I couldnt get invested in the world, right from the first game there were things that just seemed off. Although TW3 is better in dialogue and polish it still doesnt do it for me. I cant bring myself to care enough about the lore or characters. To be fair its a very rare video game that has a story or setting that really has me really interested, I'm not easy to please in that regard.

I might have liked it better if it was shorter tbh, I wouldnt have had time to stew on all the things I disliked.

It's a beautiful game and obviously a lot of love went into it. I enjoyed the combat. On the harder difficulty at least it was challenging and I like the signs system.

I've started the game twice, the first time I was trying to do everything and got to Skellige before I fell off because I wasnt having fun ticking off quests from my list and I didnt really care to find out what happened next in the story. The second time I decided to bee line the main quest for the most part. Got to Skellige again and fell off.

I'm glad so many people love it, and I'm jealous in a way that it didnt get me like that too.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
I've started the game twice, the first time I was trying to do everything and got to Skellige before I fell off because I wasnt having fun ticking off quests from my list and I didnt really care to find out what happened next in the story. The second time I decided to bee line the main quest for the most part. Got to Skellige again and fell off.

I'm glad so many people love it, and I'm jealous in a way that it didnt get me like that too.

It's very hard to concentrate only on the main quests in a game such as this one. Every corner you visit screams with side quests. I agree that the game makes you spend a lot of time. As for care about the characters, maybe you disliked the Slavic themes? Not everyone likes them.

It's very hard to concentrate only on the main quests in a game such as this one. Every corner you visit screams with side quests. I agree that the game makes you spend a lot of time. As for care about the characters, maybe you disliked the Slavic themes? Not everyone likes them.

Some of the creatures were inspired by Slavic folklore. I'm not sure if some of the political stuff is themed after medievil stuff, in the same way Song of Ice and Fire is inspired by the War of the Roses? I can't think of what it could be based off in that case. I did think some of the costumes and character designs were silly, which didn't help.

I have been fatigued with 3d open world games for a long time, I now actively avoid them, so that may have been part of it too. I've got almost as much time in TW2 as I have 3 so that might be something.

In the end I've disliked other games that are really popular ,and I've loved other ones. There's probably some other weirdos like me out there who also werent that excited by TW3. So it goes, Hopefully I won't get burned at the stake for my heresy :p

Sarafan

Community Contributor
@Sarafan At least it is not as bad as in ESO. I am almost quitting it because of the insane amount of NPC literarily running after me saying: 'Hey, I need your help' or 'I have something to tell you'.

I played TESO only a few hours, but you're right. There's loads of content there. It takes a lot of time to dig through most of it.

Some of the creatures were inspired by Slavic folklore. I'm not sure if some of the political stuff is themed after medievil stuff, in the same way Song of Ice and Fire is inspired by the War of the Roses? I can't think of what it could be based off in that case. I did think some of the costumes and character designs were silly, which didn't help.

Soundtrack has some Slavic folklore in it as well. It just seems this is not a game for you. I've already seen people who disliked The Witcher 3, so I'm not surprised. Not everyone likes every game. :)

In the end I've disliked other games that are really popular ,and I've loved other ones.

I have a similar problem with the Assassin's Creed series for example. Most of the players like it. These are really good games, but for some reason they don't bring me fun.

I have about 250 hours in Witcher 3 according to GoG Galaxy. I didn't have GoG Galaxy when I played through the game the first time around, so it is a lot more.

I'm doing a playthrough now with some mods installed, Reshade etc. Game still looks good and the atmostphere is amazing.

Witcher 3 felt like work to you? I want your job!!
Like when you get assigned a book for school and you know its considered a classic but when you get into it you wonder what the fuss is about.
I have a similar problem with the Assassin's Creed series for example. Most of the players like it. These are really good games, but for some reason they don't bring me fun.
There's a few very popular series I dont enjoy. And a few I do. :)

Jan 19, 2020
Visit site
To The Moon - At the end when the secrets of the character's life are revealed and how those experiences can resonate with the player.

Bioshock 1/2/Infinite - The twist in each ending and the revelation of the DLC.

Simulacra - Another twister. It starts as "found phone" game and reveals classic hardcore sci-fi at the end.

@randyl Ive had To The Moon for ages, I need to get into it but the backlog (and front log) is real.

Agree on the Bioshocks, all excellent games. Ive been meaning to play the first two remasters as well. I still rate Infinite too.

Simulacra is the FMV game that plays as if on a phone right? I think I saw a video somewhere, looks like it might be something original.

Jan 19, 2020
Visit site
@randyl Simulacra is the FMV game that plays as if on a phone right? I think I saw a video somewhere, looks like it might be something original.
Yes, that is the game. Simulacra. It is a hybrid mystery and light puzzle game. The narrative delivers the tingles. The puzzles give the plot some context to stand on and a vehicle to time the periodic thought bombs.

Simulacra is from creators of the 'lost phone' game Sara is Missing, which I haven't played. There is a sequel called Simulacra 2. I haven't played this either. Like you said, there is a lot yet to play in my existing library.