Question Gaming Keyboards - Are Arrow Keys Included in Rollover?

Jun 5, 2020
Visit site
Are the arrow keys typically covered in 6 key rollover?

I'm considering buying my first gaming keyboard. I'm just interested in something cheap to start out with because I only play one game and I don't think a keyboard will work for me.

The keyboard I'm looking at has 6 key rollover, which is all I need, I think. My current keyboard only has 3 key rollover and I need at least 4 key rollover. Are the arrow keys typically covered in 6 key rollover?

To be more specific, the four primary keys I need to press are two arrows (up+left or up+right), plus the V and N keys. I use three keys on the bottom row (V,B,N), the arrow keys, and the space bar. But again, the most I press at one time is 4 keys (2 arrow keys, V, and N).

Reactions: redmark_
Jun 5, 2020
Visit site
Ok, thanks. But, assuming this keyboard has at least 6-key rollover, should I be able to use 2 of the arrow keys, the V and N at the same time?

I've tried looking up rollover, but the articles I come across don't specifically say that the arrow keys are covered in rollover. I assume they are with n-key rollover, but I don't know about 6-key rollover.

I just found another online rollover test that was more informative. I discovered that if I reconfigure the keyboard settings in the game, I can use 4 keys at the same time. So instead of using V,B,N, I'm using X,C,V. This setup allows me to use 2 arrow keys and the X and C. So now I don't need to buy a new keyboard. I'm still thinking about it though. I like to have dim lights in my room at night, but I can't see the keyboard. A LED keyboard would solve that problem.

It's really weird though with these online rollover tests. They're not very accurate. One suggests my MS keyboard has 3-key rollover, possibly 4-key, but the other test suggests I could have 6-key rollover. I am so confused.

Reactions: Brian Boru
If its NKRO is the same as my keyboard, it means you press any number of keys at once and they all register
Corsair claimed that the K70 RGB boards have N-Key rollover (NKRO), which means that you can press any combination of keys you want and all strokes will register correctly. We fired up the Aqua Key Test (link hosted here), and we can confirm Corsair’s claims.
link

Horses mouth:
Key rollover is a feature that allows every key pressed to be registered correctly. Your HyperX keyboard offers two modes: 6KRO and NKRO. With 6KRO mode, up to 6 keys and 4 modifiers keys (Windows, Alt, Ctrl, Shift) can be pressed and correctly registered at the same time. When you switch to NKRO mode, you can press every key on your keyboard and they will all be registered correctly.

6KRO mode is enabled by default.
You can switch to NKRO by pressing FN + Delete.
To go back to 6KRO, press FN + Insert

since it doesn't mention arrow keys, I have to assume they included.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, in my experience, only mechanical keyboards with switches have actual key rollover,
that's why I saved up long ago to buy a proper mechanical keyboard, those membrane gaming keyboards, I don't trust them 🤣

according to what I've read up on, even the cheapest mech keyboard has proper rollover or no key ghosting or clashing.

but, YMMV or your mileage may vary, there might be a membrane keyboard out there that actually has a proper rollover. 😎

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS