Gaming Audio.

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
So today we were doing seasonal objectives in Forza Horizon 5, and the music was drowning out my son to the point that I couldn't make out what he was saying half the time, so I turned the music way down. So the next thing we had to do was crash through this one area, at least that's what we thought the riddle meant, so we were driving through this small down slamming through fences and food carts, etc. and for the first time ever, I really noticed all the great sounds that aren't very distinct unless you have the music down. It was actually pretty cool. Of course, you normally are trying not to hit things, so it wouldn't come into play as much as it did today.

I think these days, buying sound cards are more important for recording than for general use. I used to multi-track record music, and having a good sound device is pretty important for that.
I always get the sound card. There's usually some software that comes with it that is pretty nice, although I have been using Dolby Atmos as of late for spatial sound and various equalizers.

Reactions: Brian Boru
I always get the sound card. There's usually some software that comes with it that is pretty nice, although I have been using Dolby Atmos as of late for spatial sound and various equalizers.
I'm still using an old Creative Recon 3D and it does come with some good virtual 3D surround. Plus there's free software(for anyone) like Wavestudio, which is good enough to edit, process and make sound and sound effects on.
Sound cards seem to last forever!

I think certain games have interesting sounds and effects. WD2 and Legion come with a whole range of glitchy electronic sounds in server rooms and safe houses. I also like the way they make vehicles travelling through road tunnels sound, the engine noise reflecting back louder.

In HZD the dev team did a lot of research for the animalistic robots(watching endless BBC nature programmes to learn how they move), and I think they mimicked some animal sounds then made them sound more mechano/electrical. The charger sounds like it's based on a horse.

A fav sound in that game is the twang a tripwire makes when you recover it. Satisfying.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD4xy5sd8jI&ab_channel=RankingFullStop

I have an external USB sound card, an Asus Xonar u7. Before that, I had an Recon3d with the 5.25" bay(don't remember the full name), and before that one I had a X-fi with a drive bay(Fatal1ty something).

Part of the reason I use a sound card is because I use both speakers and headset(not at the same time) when I am on the computer. Add the fact that I am one of the laziest people around, I can't be bothered to use the windows interface to switch outputs. With these soundcards I can switch the output with a press of a button. So easy.

But yeah, sound is important in games, but integrated sound cards have come a long way.

thats true and in many cases the software/hardware is not made by the 2 makers I mentioned. I have helped people who make music with their PC and you get to see some different software then.
I've used some nice dedicated DAW software for recording multitrack music, but I think my favorite software I've used for that was Vegas Pro. It's meant to be an NLE video editor, but it also works great for multitrack sound and music editing.

I can't be bothered to use the windows interface to switch outputs. With these soundcards I can switch the output with a press of a button
Just fyi: you can have same with a wireless headset + dongle plugged into an USB hub with switches on each port. Switch port on = headset sound, switch off = speakers.

@ipman You might enjoy Floppotron 3, if you're not aware of it :)

Reactions: mainer and Slasken
That kind of reminds me of a documentary I saw about Pink Floyd recording Dark Side of the Moon. They were one of the pioneers of tape looping, and when they recorded Money, they cut 7 pieces of tape and stretched it around the room going around a mic stand because the looping tape was so long. Lol. We have it so easy these days.

Here's an article that talks about that, too.
I think that's where my interest in mixing it up came from. I listened to that album for two years every night before bed. I swear I know every note and sound. Then of course I discovered Cage and all those early pioneers.

I think that's where my interest in mixing it up came from. I listened to that album for two years every night before bed. I swear I know every note and sound. Then of course I discovered Cage and all those early pioneers.
I know the Beatles messed around with tape looping even before Pink Floyd did that with Money. The Beatles really did a lot of experimenting. Seems like I heard the drums were in reverse in Strawberry Fields Forever.

I know the Beatles messed around with tape looping even before Pink Floyd did that with Money. The Beatles really did a lot of experimenting. Seems like I heard the drums were in reverse in Strawberry Fields Forever.
Yes I was thinking about them. I'm assuming there were a number of influences on them. I'd think they'd be aware of the Black Mountain college, but also some Eastern influence and mind enhancing.

That's the difference now and why sound experimentaion has gone more mainstream, technology.

People like Cage had tape loops running around room. Others built huge synthesisers, some like Daphne Oram mixed electronic with foley in studios.

Now anyone can do it on a laptop.

Modern musicians are using natural sounds and experimental layers. It all feeds into different mediums.

Yes I was thinking about them. I'm assuming there were a number of influences on them. I'd think they'd be aware of the Black Mountain college, but also some Eastern influence and mind enhancing.

That's the difference now and why sound experimentaion has gone more mainstream, technology.

People like Cage had tape loops running around room. Others built huge synthesisers, some like Daphne Oram mixed electronic with foley in studios.

Now anyone can do it on a laptop.

Modern musicians are using natural sounds and experimental layers. It all feeds into different mediums.
I think it's awesome what the old guys were able to pull off through experimenting. I'm glad that it's easier to do those things now, though. It's easier for normal people that don't have access to big studios to be able to realize their musical dreams and vision.

Do you know
No, I'm not an audiophile or passionate about sound—just occasionally trip over something I find cool or impressive, like the PCG article re Floppotron :)

Dark Side of the Moon
I ploughed the grooves out of that and The Wall in 70s-80s—Pink Floyd were a phenomenal group.

Re Beatles:
I'm assuming there were a number of influences on them
Some info on Wiki.

It doesn't say so on that page, nor on the next, but I have a vague memory of reading that Kraftwerk were an influence—probably wrong tho, given the lack of time overlap between K founding and B dissolving.

It doesn't say so on that page, nor on the next, but I have a vague memory of reading that Kraftwerk were an influence—probably wrong tho, given the lack of time overlap between K founding and B dissolving.
I might be misunderstanding, but Kraftwerk came after The Beatles. They were awesome, though. One band that came after the Beatles that was definitely influenced by them was Klaatu. In fact, there were rumors and hopes that Klaatu was secretly the members of the Beatles reformed into a new band. One of their great songs was Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft. The Carpenters covered the song, and pretty much hijacked it, but Klaatu's version was better.

I heard the other day that Frank Ocean wanted to create someting laid back like Dark Side. Even had the poster up in the studio when he did Super Rich Kids. I tried mixing his track with some Floyd to see.

These guys Aftertouch Audio makes some interesting videos. One showed how they make gunshots. First he uses all the guns at the range surrounded by microphones. But then he tries to give the sound power and character by adding foley and process. It's about adding to the physicality and power of the shot and making the gun appear 'real'.

Same with this one about explosions. He essentially creates what he or a gamer would expect an explosion to sound like.

One explosion he creates from; some wind chimes layered, dropping oil on a fire, some door slams and white noise. He again changes each explosion to give it character and importantly place it in the space it explodes.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKJLEO_4qSg&ab_channel=AftertouchAudio

• Love
Jul 18, 2022
Visit site
Seeing as there is a discussion with sound going on, is it really worth the investment for a stand alone sound card?

I can't remember what the other device was called that I seen, but it was like a box that sat on the desk that connected to your PC but you would plug your Mic and Headphones, speakers into that instead.

Is it really worth the investments? (PS. Would love to know what that device is so I can get it out of my head).

@Kovanen If you work with audio production or are an avid audiophile, then I'm sure you'll get something out of having a standalone soundcard. I love music and ambiance in games, but I have never had the need for a standalone soundcard as I think the sound is fine with what I have.

I'm using Beyerdynamics Mmx v2 300, which is a very good closed headset for gaming and music, and also got a solid condenser mic. The only "bad" thing is that you won't get the really high or low sounds from the getgo and a Soundblaster G3 will help amplify the sound (which might be an example of what you were looking for) and also got some fancy settings for playing Battle Royale games were ALL the sounds around you get amplified so you can hear footsteps and whatnot from miles away.

To follow up on OP's question, I enjoy game audio a lot, especially the ambient sounds. Nothing like sitting by a campfire in Dayz Standalone, listening to the fire crackling and the sound of the wind hitting the tress which is creaking. It adds to the feeling of really being in the game and forgetting about time until you find night has become day.

Jul 18, 2022
Visit site
@Kovanen If you work with audio production or are an avid audiophile, then I'm sure you'll get something out of having a standalone soundcard. I love music and ambiance in games, but I have never had the need for a standalone soundcard as I think the sound is fine with what I have.

I'm using Beyerdynamics Mmx v2 300, which is a very good closed headset for gaming and music, and also got a solid condenser mic. The only "bad" thing is that you won't get the really high or low sounds from the getgo and a Soundblaster G3 will help amplify the sound (which might be an example of what you were looking for) and also got some fancy settings for playing Battle Royale games were ALL the sounds around you get amplified so you can hear footsteps and whatnot from miles away.

DAC Amp! That's it, oh thank you Frindis that has been bugging the life out of me. Would the G3 but a help in general overall types of games and not just Battle Royals?

Reactions: Frindis

TRENDING THREADS