Elusive Sound: Desktop Audio Dropout Mystery

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
I'm reaching out to this knowledgeable community in the hopes of shedding light on a persistent issue that has been disrupting my desktop audio experience. Despite my efforts to find a solution within the forums, I haven't come across discussions that match my specific audio dilemma. Lately, I've been encountering intermittent audio dropouts, on my desktop. The sound will suddenly cut off for a few seconds, and then resume as if nothing happened. This happens across various applications, making it challenging to pinpoint the root cause.
If anyone has faced and successfully resolved a similar desktop audio dropout mystery, I would greatly appreciate any insights or troubleshooting tips you can share. Your expertise could be the key to restoring the harmony in my audio setup.

Last edited:
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

It doesn’t delete anything, it just stops non Microsoft programs running with start. Easy to reverse.

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, slowly, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame. Only add one back if you sure the problem is gone.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Hi i am just wondering if your problem could be something as simple as a jack plug on your speaker wires having moved where it plugs into your pc. I once noticed that my sound did not seem right and it turned out that the heat exiting the rear of my pc had moved the wire and plug just enough to stop it connecting properly.

As a quick test go to sound settings , manage sound devices , choose speakers which is the second tab down and the click test

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS