Games without Dopamine Abuse

May 2, 2020
Visit site
Hello fellow PCGamers!

I have come to realize that most games today are driven by the fact that they try to make you feel like you are "missing out" and abuse the triggers that release dopamine in your brain.
Just like gambling, video games has basically become gambling. With additions such as battlepasses, timelimited offers ingame, and ads and what not. All these factors are made there to make you
feel like you will miss out on something, and the only "logical" solution is to buy in to it.

With this knowledge i started looking at games differently and I started to only buy games that are sold as a whole experience. DLC and expansions that is added to the game after a decent amount of time, is in my opinion fair enough. But I want everything in the game to be unlocked by actually playing it.

Can you guys recommend any good modern games today that still offers this old school kind of wholesome experience? Or are those games in the past?

May 2, 2020
Visit site
Just avoid any free to play games and be wary of any games with a focus on multiplayer and you'll filter out 90% of them.

If you want specific recommendations, you should at least mention your gaming preferences.

Thanks for your reply Pifanjr.
Haha yeah... that might be my problem, i like multiplayer games :D

Have been looking for a third person online co op, with RPG elements. Something similiar to dungeons in MMORPG's but i feel like its hard to find.

Thanks for your reply Pifanjr.
Haha yeah... that might be my problem, i like multiplayer games :D

Have been looking for a third person online co op, with RPG elements. Something similiar to dungeons in MMORPG's but i feel like its hard to find.
What about the Torchlight series?

Path of Exile might also be interesting. It is free to play, but the micro transactions are mostly cosmetic and the gameplay is very solid.

Reactions: Oussebon

Zloth

Community Contributor
I really like DLC. It's a great way for people who really like a game to pay more to get extra content... oh, wait, you're talking about those "free to play" things where they use every psychological trick and sales tactic ever known (except pyramid schemes?) to sell you DLC while providing the main game for free. Yeah, those are bad. The folks who are, for whatever reason, more susceptible to those tactics end up paying vastly more than the $12/month we used to pay in subscriptions.

If co-op just means 2-4 people, there are plenty out there. The Borderlands series and Divinity; Original Sin games jump to mind. If you're talking dozens of people, well, that tends to require a central server that somebody needs to continuously keep maintained, so they aren't so easy to find.

Reactions: Pifanjr
Jan 15, 2020
Visit site

how about World War Z? its on the epic games store and its a third person coop game (can be played with AI or other players) and you have classes which you level up and a simple skill tree to go with it.

a review, i personally enjoyed it a lot:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icluZdBmJuE

Reactions: Pifanjr
Cities Skylines,
Euro Truck Simulator 2/American Truck Simulator.
Two Point Hospital

These all have a lot of DLC but the base games have a lot of content. Also when new DLC is released for these you can often pick up the base game or a bundle of game and DLC very cheaply.

Subnutica
Company of Heroes (very old but probably one of the best RTS games ever made)
Far Cry 4 (IMO better than 5)
Elite Danagerous
GTA V
Red Dead Redemption 2
Skyrim
Fallout 4

Basically there are a ton of games. I liked Destiny 2 when it first launched but it's turned into yet another game as a service that you have to keep buying DLC for.

McStabStab

Community Contributor
No Man's Sky. You can co-op, base build, free explore, freighter command, pirate hunt, ship salvage, scuba dive, etc. and every single major update has been free. Hello games continues to update the experience and evolve it from the bare bones game it once was.

TRENDING THREADS