Games like Ultima Underworld, Arx Fatalis, etc.

Sep 25, 2020
Visit site
Anyone know of any games like Ultima Underworld, System Shock 1, or Arx Fatalis? These are games that have the following qualities:

• A First Person view. Third person view is possibly acceptable.
  • Some kind of stats or leveling up.
  • In-game dialogue, conversations, and quests.
  • An inventory that works in real time and you can interact with it. See the Ultima Underworld video.
  • A similarly interactive game world. You can open doors, push buttons or levers, read books, move things around, etc.
  • NO FORCED GRID MOVEMENT. This is very important. (Except if the game is so good that it doesn't matter, like Legend of Grimrock.)
  • Maybe an ability to jump.
  • A Mapping system.
  • Spells or abilities.
  • Isn't terribly disappointing.

What do you think? This sort of game is seriously underrated. It's immensely immersive, which is obviously extremely important to a game.

Last edited:
Have you tried Daggerfall? I'm sure everyone is sick of me pushing this wheelbarrow in every second thread but it's a rock solid first person RPG, and my favourite Elder Scrolls game, having every ingredient that made Skyrim popular while also being slightly less obtuse than Morrowind, though at the cost of that games unique flavour. I'd recommend Daggerfall Unity specifically for ease of use.

TRENDING THREADS