Question Gamers and Education After High School

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 19, 2020
Visit site
Hey guys, do you think there is a trend or pattern between those who play games and whether or not they pursue a higher education after high school? For example, my brother is a huge gamer, and went straight into the work force after high school. My cousin also followed this trend and is a gamer. For my college English class, we have to do a research project about something we want to learn more about, and because I'm a gamer, this pattern interests me. If you would be able to take a survey (which is my research method for the assignment) that would be awesome!
The survey was created through our university's program Qualtrics if you're curious.

Reactions: wimz and Oussebon
Just clicked the survey but it said it wasn't up.

For whatever it's worth, I and probably the majority of the gamers I've encountered in person or engaged with to any meaningful/personal degree online went a certain level beyond high school. Not all - I've had some great gamer friends who didn't. But most of the ones I can think of have PhDs or were working towards one when I knew them. And a few went on beyond PhD too :S

So that's the other stereotype. 'Geek' squad instead of 'dropout' squad. :) Gamer stereotypes are great: whether you go out and get a job and start a career straight away or go and get higher academic qualifications, the fact you're a gamer is probably going to be tied to that by someone.

Good luck with the project! It's an interesting one.

Last edited:
Reactions: wimz
FYI, Qualtrics is not your university's program per se. It's a professional platform that your university is paying to use.

My guess would be that different types of gamers are more or less likely to drop out. People who play dumb first person shooters are probably more likely to drop out. People who play grand strategy games are probably more likely to go on to higher education. Other genres will be somewhere in between.

Zoid

Community Contributor
People who play dumb first person shooters are probably more likely to drop out. People who play grand strategy games are probably more likely to go on to higher education. Other genres will be somewhere in between.
This is a bit reductive. I've spent many hours playing both "dumb" first person shooters and grand strategy games and I don't think either defines my academic aptitude ;)

Reactions: Oussebon
Mar 19, 2020
Visit site
I'm an old fart, retired 3 years ago. When I graduated from HS in the early 70's, video games were in their infancy. Pong and PAC Man seemed to set the standard. So while I was in college, there just wasn't that much available, and I didn't have time for that sort of thing. Although studying didn't take much, playing baseball, drinking, and chasing trim did. Next comes marriage, two children, teaching, coaching two sports, graduate school and again no time for games. Now, 40 years later, I think I might dabble in some of the games a bit. The games and graphics are incredible with so much to choose from. It is easy for me to see a young person becoming obsessed with gaming and forsaking going to class and studying. In a way, I'm glad those games weren't around when I was younger. With my lack of self-discipline, I could have seen myself falling into that trap and dropping out of school.

Reactions: Alm
I went on to University a long time ago and got both a BSc and MSc and then went straight into software development for 15 years before being made redundant. I can't say I miss it though as I now work in retail - or will when it reopens and love serving customers.

I've played all sorts from Civ, FPS, MMorpg, Strategy and Simulation.

May 20, 2020
Visit site
Hi,
An interesting research topic I should say. Did you get any pattern eventually? I joined th esports team at Francis Howell Central High School and got a scholarship later. I now call video gaming a sport, not a hobby.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 18, 2021
Visit site
I'm an old fart, retired 3 years ago. When I graduated from HS in the early 70's, video games were in their infancy. Pong and PAC Man seemed to set the standard. So while I was in college, there just wasn't that much available, and I didn't have time for that sort of thing. Although studying didn't take much, playing baseball, drinking, and chasing trim did. Next comes marriage, two children, teaching, coaching two sports, graduate school and again no time for games. Now, 40 years later, I think I might dabble in some of the games a bit. The games and graphics are incredible with so much to choose from. It is easy for me to see a young person becoming obsessed with gaming and forsaking going to class and studying. In a way, I'm glad those games weren't around when I was younger. With my lack of self-discipline, I could have seen myself falling into that trap and dropping out of school.
Hey there old fart! I graduated from high school in 1961. Just found games after several careers and 40 years my own business. I found Star Control Origins at COG. Having fun. Unfortunately, not having a background in gaming it takes a while for my to discover the meaning of things. Is there an "Old Fart" section around here ya think?

Dec 17, 2020
Visit site
FYI, Qualtrics is not your university's program per se. It's a professional platform that your university is paying to use.

My guess would be that different types of gamers are more or less likely to drop out. People who play dumb first person shooters are probably more likely to drop out. People who play grand strategy games are probably more likely to go on to higher education. Other genres will be somewhere in between.
there is no actual correlation as to whether or not a video gamer will be a drop out, a loser on unemployment and welfare, or go get a degree.

Its like trying to find a correlation between favorite brand of prophylactic and taste in music

Status
Not open for further replies.