Frequent BSOD

Mar 12, 2023
Visit site
Hello, I have a pc that is about 3 years old, when I first built the pc there were a ton of BSOD, over time the problem has gotten a bit better. However recently it has returned to BSOD pretty often, about once during every game I play. I have checked everything from hardware health with various software, internal temps, and physical cord connections. I tried troubleshooting with some kernel stuff but found no luck there. Drivers and bios are updated to the latest. Any ideas on where to turn next would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the forum :)

First guess is Power Supply.

But why guess, you ask? Good question, so…

We need more info to help you. Please follow these instructions:

Of particular interest are:
Exact make & model of your Power Supply;
Motherboard;
Case & cooling parts;

Graphics card;
Monitor model & Hz;
Resolution you're running at;
What graphic settings level have you enabled?

Reactions: Lutfij and COLGeek
Mar 12, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to the forum :)

First guess is Power Supply.

But why guess, you ask? Good question, so…

We need more info to help you. Please follow these instructions:

Of particular interest are:
Exact make & model of your Power Supply;
Motherboard;
Case & cooling parts;

Graphics card;
Monitor model & Hz;
Resolution you're running at;
What graphic settings level have you enabled?
Thanks for the quick reply.
CPU: Ryzen 3700x
CPU cooler: generic amd cooler included with CPU
GPU: ASUS STRIX 2070 super
Motherboard: b450 F gaming
Power supply: Corsair RMX 650 W 80+ Gold
RAM: Corsair vengeance RGB pro 3200( currently running it at 3000)
Case: a Corsair ATX mid tower case( not 100 sure which) maybe the Corsair SPEC DELTA
Monitor: ASUS VG248QZ 24? Gaming Monitor 144Hz Full HD 1080p 1ms
HZ: 144
Res: 1920x1080

Reactions: Brian Boru
there are over 200 BSOD codes, so saying you having a BSOD without saying which one, is rather pointless

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

Reactions: Brian Boru
Mar 12, 2023
Visit site
there are over 200 BSOD codes, so saying you having a BSOD without saying which one, is rather pointless

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
My minidump file is empty as I have had kernel dumps on in the past to try and diagnose the problem, I just switched the dump type and will send update after it crashes next.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2023
Visit site
my program can't really get any more out of kernel dumps than out of minidumps. it uses the windows debugger to get the output but its not as good as someone who understands debugger.

Can you recall what codes you are getting?

is this windows 10 or 11? I only ask as I would ask on here - https://forums.tomshardware.com/ - they have people there apart from me who can help.
The screen is often only blue for a second before crashing. Additionally even though I have enabled the minidumps the folder is still empty after crashing. I have watched it crash twice and nothing was added to the folder either time. I followed the steps in the link to a tee so not sure exactly what is going on. This is windows 10.

TRENDING THREADS