Question fps suddenly drops

Apr 12, 2020
Visit site
hello i have some fps issues when i am playing sometimes i have 60 fps suddenly it drops to 10 tried every possible way still having this problem ,my pc specs: core i7-855ou cpu @1.8 ghz 2.00 ghz 12 gb of ram nvidia geforce mx 130 4 gb i even changed every game i play to the least graphics settings still having this problem any solutions?

Zloth

Community Contributor
When graphic settings don't seem to matter, the next thing to look at is the CPU. SOMETHING is probably taking your CPU over.

If possible, tell one of your games to run in windowed mode. Before starting the game, start up Task Manager (control-shift-ESC will start it), tell it to show full details, then click on the top of the CPU column to sort all the processes by CPU. Put it off on the left side of the screen then start your game up in windowed mode and keep it to the right. When your framerate does its swan dive of doom, glance over at Task Manager and see if something is burning up all the CPU time.

There's a column for GPU, too. Some programs (like BOINC) will use that and it would have a similar effect.

P.S. If you happen to have two+ screens, you don't need to worry about windowed mode.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
hello i have some fps issues when i am playing sometimes i have 60 fps suddenly it drops to 10 tried every possible way still having this problem ,my pc specs: core i7-855ou cpu @1.8 ghz 2.00 ghz 12 gb of ram nvidia geforce mx 130 4 gb i even changed every game i play to the least graphics settings still having this problem any solutions?

Also be sure to check your hardware temperatures. You can do so easily using HWMonitor: https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html. Just download and launch the application and keep it on background when running a game. When the fps falls down, check your temperatures. Overheating is more frequent on laptops than on desktop computers.

Reactions: Frindis
Yep, components do thermal throttle. I'm not sure if this is the issue though, but checking temps is still a good test.

What are your GPU and CPU usage stats when the FPS drops happen?

Reactions: Zloth
Apr 12, 2020
Visit site
Yep, components do thermal throttle. I'm not sure if this is the issue though, but checking temps is still a good test.

What are your GPU and CPU usage stats when the FPS drops happen?

When graphic settings don't seem to matter, the next thing to look at is the CPU. SOMETHING is probably taking your CPU over.

If possible, tell one of your games to run in windowed mode. Before starting the game, start up Task Manager (control-shift-ESC will start it), tell it to show full details, then click on the top of the CPU column to sort all the processes by CPU. Put it off on the left side of the screen then start your game up in windowed mode and keep it to the right. When your framerate does its swan dive of doom, glance over at Task Manager and see if something is burning up all the CPU time.

There's a column for GPU, too. Some programs (like BOINC) will use that and it would have a similar effect.

P.S. If you happen to have two+ screens, you don't need to worry about windowed mode.
actually cpu usage while the fps drop is only 19 % 13 of them r used by the game
but noticed that my memory usage is too high 2480 mb used by the game with total usage of 69%of the memory .
cant understand y cuz my ram is 12 which should be good
any suggestions?

TRENDING THREADS