Question FPS drops while gaming

Oct 29, 2020
Visit site
Hi all,

So basicly my fps drops from 90 fps back to 10-15 fps for about 5sec. This occurs about every 40 sec take or less. It does this while playing different games, from Dota 2, minion master, world of warcraft, not particular games that carry a lot of load gfx wise. I already tried the most commen stuf, but nothing really helped a lot.
So I've been benchmarking while gaming with Afterburner and got it logged. However I''ve got no clue how to post/show the logs into a forumthread. It's a HML file that works with RivaTuner hardware. Anyone got ideas on that?

Thanks in advance!

Bye Tox

Best to post up your system specs first of all. CPU, motherboard, RAM PSU, GPU, Hard drives/SSD's or a link to the model number if its a prebuilt or laptop. Dont worry about Afterburner logs for now, its enough to know your system temps when its under load..

The common things I'd do is to check task manager to see whats happening during the drops. Google to see whats running there and whether it should be or not. If there's something eating up a lot of RAM like a web browser with a thousand open tabs, that kind of thing. Run an antivirus scan. Make sure thats there's no software problem before looking to hardware.

Secondly check your temperatures while under load. Use whatever monitoring software you like, find out what your CPU and Graphics cards max temperature are and make sure youre not throttling because of that. Do you need to have a dust out of your system? Could be your CPU cooler came loose, could be many things!

Oct 29, 2020
Visit site
Hi,

PC:speccs:
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8150 Eight-Core Processor (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
Liquid CPU cooler: Corsair H45
Memory: 8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 1197MHz (11-11-11-31)
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Card name: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (Gigabyte)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme4 (CPUSocket)
Storage:
223GB OCZ-VERTEX460 (SATA (SSD))
931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 (SATA )
Power supply: Corsair 750 watt

While gaming:
GPU temp was between 55-59 degree Celsius. Max temp: 61 degree Celsius
CPU temp: 45 Celsius, but droppes to 28 degree when the fps spike occurs. Maximum temp: 47 degree Celsius

While the fps drops occur:
GPU usage drops to 0-5%
Memory usage drops from 1450mb to 966mb
CPU usage goes up from 50% upto 100%

Ill go check task manager, see if i find anything odd.

Thanks !

Last edited:
No problem, temps sound O.K, I'm guessing thats CPU package temperature. I've not used an FX 8150 personally but IIRC that era of chips max out at 65c. Would be nice to know hottest core temp rather than package if possible but seems fine anyway. GPU temp perfect.

Sounds like you have a software problem. Something spiking CPU usage in the background. Close down as many items in system tray as possible see if it effects anything. See whats taking up all the CPU in task manager. If you don't find anything be nice to do clean install of GPU drivers if you didnt already Could easily be wrong but sounds like that :)

OK, that's a shame. I'm afraid I don't know what it could be. Sorry.

If it were my rig I would be considering reinstalling Windows fresh. Obviously back everything up first you'd need to. If you reinstall Windows and just enough drivers and software to play your games again, then it still happens you can be fairly sure its a hardware issue. Your CPU and motherboard is what 9 years old? It could be a motherboard power delivery fault or something else causing it, I really don't know.

As a disclaimer, I'm just a PC hobbyest trying to help. Someone with a more in depth knowledge of Windows and more time to spare might have better ideas!

TRENDING THREADS