Favorite Childhood Game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if computers weren't really a thing when you were young (well, they existed but not like they do now, very few people had their own)? I guess there are board games...
That's definitely me, no PCs when I was a child. Childhood, at least by my definition, is someone from roughly age 2-3 to around 12 years old. I can't really include teenagers in there, as they're kind of going through that alien-morph stage from childhood to adulthood; at least I did. (Note: I don't mean to offend anyone here in that 13-19 age bracket, it's just an old guy's perspective on youth). And I eliminated year 1 of our lives because we just basically drool, burp, puke, and soil our diapers at that age.

Using those age parameters, my childhood was between 1956 and 1966. As far as games from that era, Monopoly was big of course, and there was a word game (which I can't remember, and it wasn't Scrabble) that I played a lot. There was also Twister, which actually became more fun in my teenage years (for different reasons).

Welcome to the old folks retirement gaming forums!
Amen, brother, we're all still kicken'.

Spyro 2: Gateway to Glimmer. Outside of Europe it was known as Ripto's Rage (unlikely to happen, but not to be confused with the Crash crossover game, Crash Purple: Ripto's Rampage.)

For context, I find Spyro the Dragon to be the most replayable of the original Playstation One 'trilogy' because of its lack of cutscenes, mini-games and multiple playable characters. I find the third game, Spyro: Year of the Dragon to be the most innovative and idealistic - not to mention welcoming to newcomers - because of the variety of the gameplay and the cool factor. Spyro 2, however, sits comfortably as my favourite because it hits a perfect balance.

While the first Spyro is 'raw' and unrefined, the second one is pure in the most positive sense. The cutscenes are valuable in their storytelling and comedic value. There are minigames, but you're almost always playing as Spyro because that's what you've paid for. And that goes for the supporting cast: they're memorable characters that add so much without taking away anything. Its worlds are disconnected and yet believable. And when Arthur Sullivan wrote about the lost chord being the close of an angel's psalm, it was Stewart Copeland who was able to discover what those chords were and make a soundtrack out of them. The music is breathtaking. I could weep whenever I see and hear and feel the chimes and chills of Winter Tundra, and the awful news that comes with one's arrival to this otherwise wonderful place.

Though I'm a sentimental fool, I do try to approach games criticism with cold hard logic and rationale. I cannot however find fault with this game. I am unable to take issue with its graphical fidelity, the crisp audio, the colour palettes, the voice actors and direction, the challenge, the story, or any other part that I may remove from the sum and examine on its own. My thought process is immovable. You could take any other game that I love almost as much, from Crash Team Racing to Valkyria Chronicles to The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, and we would agree on at least one criticism. That is a common ground I will not reach with Spyro 2: Gateway to Glimmer.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Depends which system!

PC - System Shock
NES - Super Mario Bros 3
Sega Genesis - Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Game Boy - Super Mario Land 2 - Six Golden Coins
SNES - Literally a tie between Super Mario World & Donkey Kong Country
Nintendo Ultra 64 - 007 Goldeneye
XBOX - Halo - Combat Evolved

Reactions: WoodenSaucer
Depends which system!

PC - System Shock
NES - Super Mario Bros 3
You're very similar to me. I don't think I'd choose System Shock for PC, though. And on N64, I would choose Ocarina of Time over Goldeneye, but we had a lot of fun playing 1v1 Goldeneye.

Reactions: Volley
The first game i got hooked on was the specrtum game THE HOBBIT in 1982.
The text based game with primative graphics was dreadful at detecting what you had just typed.
You might get the reply Thorin drank the butler , if you played it you will have seen more like it.
I was so determined to crack it that on new years eve it did but it was so late that by the time i went out to let the new year in i was probably the only person in the pub that was sober !

Extra info to this posting ...... Their were a lot of random bugs in the game , in the goblins dungeon thorin would sometimes take a key off you , if a certain bug got triggered thorin would never return to take part in the game so their would be no point in carrying on. A computer and video games magazine challenged players to print every move you made to prove you had completed it. I sent mine in but got nothing for it. Once i had completed it and knew what to do , providing no bugs surfaced it was possible to do it in about an hour.

Last edited:
My childhood years would be the time some of you were having kids and buying houses lol, too bad my dad couldnt be gamers like yall.

So mine would be, and since the age time here is Pre-teen years. Id have to say Mortal Kombat. I did start playing that at a young age (like 8 or 9 or somethin) and i was just enthralled with it. Doing the moves, the fatalities and being able to "showoff my skills" at an arcade. Dont get me wrong, i played all types of games then and i loved the classics like Zelda, Mario, Doom etc., but MK was the one i went most 'crazy' about.

Dont worry i didnt turn out violent or anything!

PC - System Shock
NES - Super Mario Bros 3
i wasn't a kid in 80-90's but favorite early games I played then were:
Apple iie - Wizardy series
Genesis - Dune 2
SNES - Super Metroid
N64 - Starfox (Lylat wars) or maybe one of the racing games, I don't remember the name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS