Fan Configuration

Aug 31, 2021
Visit site
Going to be building with Lian Li PC011 Dynamic XL case. Running Corsair H150i Elite Capellix AIO and 7x Corsair LL120 fans. Running 5900x and 3080ti, X570 Mobo, 32 GB 3600 Dominator Cl16, 980 Pro Gen 4 Nvme, Corsair RMx 850. Trying to decide on optimal fan configuration. Was reading around and watching some YT vids.

My plan:

Run the AIO Top as an Exhaust Config.
3x Bottom Intake
3x Side Intake
1x Rear Exhaust

Does this seem optimal? Is there a better configuration that is recommended? Open to suggestions/advice/criticism. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Its really hard to say as that case is a different configuration compared to the average case.

From my perspective doing what your suggesting, you'd be running essentially 10 case fans including the AIO plus the GPU fans. I wouldn't want to be sat next to all that when it revved up, and its quite likely you could get almost equal temperatures by running less fans.

The only way to know for sure whats best would be to run something like 3d Mark on a loop for 10 minutes to stresses both CPU and GPU, and record the temperature of each component over ambient for each possible case fan set up.

Repeat that step for every config possible and you have your optimal set up.

Don't worry too much about postive vs negative airflow, both can work well depending on whatever components you have.

Start by using the AIO as an intake at the bottom and using 3 fans as exhaust up top. That way you avoid GPU heat going through your CPU cooler, and you have a direct flow of air from bottom to top.

From there you could add in front side fans and test again, see if there's any difference. Note that adding more fans does not always equal more cooling of components, but it always equals more noise.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Aug 31, 2021
Visit site
Its really hard to say as that case is a different configuration compared to the average case.

From my perspective doing what your suggesting, you'd be running essentially 10 case fans including the AIO plus the GPU fans. I wouldn't want to be sat next to all that when it revved up, and its quite likely you could get almost equal temperatures by running less fans.

The only way to know for sure whats best would be to run something like 3d Mark on a loop for 10 minutes to stresses both CPU and GPU, and record the temperature of each component over ambient for each possible case fan set up.

Repeat that step for every config possible and you have your optimal set up.

Don't worry too much about postive vs negative airflow, both can work well depending on whatever components you have.

Start by using the AIO as an intake at the bottom and using 3 fans as exhaust up top. That way you avoid GPU heat going through your CPU cooler, and you have a direct flow of air from bottom to top.

From there you could add in front side fans and test again, see if there's any difference. Note that adding more fans does not always equal more cooling of components, but it always equals more noise.

It seems after some more research on the case specifically that I may be better off running 3x Side Intakes, 1x Rear Exhaust, and the AIO radiator with its 3 fans set to exhaust out the top. This was the optimal setting for Temps in the review Gamers Nexus did on the case.

They did not test including the extra 3 bottom fans as Intake also like I was considering. It seems it could just be counterproductive for the GPU fans. I was kind of looking forward to the esthetics of the extra fans,but I'd prefer optimal performance tbh. Would be nice to see some numbers before building bc if the difference would be minimal, I would probably still do the 3x bottom intakes for esthetics.

View: https://youtu.be/24P06izLn_o

I did find this video above and the reviewer configired it the way that I had originally planned. It seems that it still provides more than enough cooling and Temps in this configuration. I will try it out for myself and see.

Last edited:
Many people dont really get scientific about it and just populate every slot because they think it looks nice. Nothing wrong with that and with that much air flowing through GPU and CPU will surely get enough fresh air too them.

Its not the most efficient way though, especially if like me noise means anything to you.

I dont really understand why three bottom intakes would be counterproductive to the GPU fans. I would imagine the opposite. Considering I have tested cases in multiple configs and a bottom intake and/or side intake onto a GPU has always improved temperature on it. Never tried a case like the Dynamic O11 though. It was designed with watercooling radiators in mind I believe.

The front side intakes on the dynamic can't really provide a lot of direct airflow over the motherboard and components, just a lot of turbulence as it enters and bounces off the side panel. Not optimal for air cooling I imagine. Ideally I would think you'd need air flowing as quickly as possible across and out with as straight a flow as possible, which is why I suggested bottom intake and top exhaust config first.

Of course the problem is that every setup has different components, different rpm/pressure rating for fans, GPU's might have 2x10cm or 3x8cm fans of different sizes and CPU coolers the same thing.

If the case is in a corner where hot air tends to pool then you might find different fan configurations with the same components work better than someone who has their case next to a door or window. All these factors can affect results.

If you really want optimal you'd have to test all yourself with your own setup, you dont need to go that extreme, but you did ask what was optimal :D

• Love
Aug 31, 2021
Visit site
Many people dont really get scientific about it and just populate every slot because they think it looks nice. Nothing wrong with that and with that much air flowing through GPU and CPU will surely get enough fresh air too them.

Its not the most efficient way though, especially if like me noise means anything to you.

I dont really understand why three bottom intakes would be counterproductive to the GPU fans. I would imagine the opposite. Considering I have tested cases in multiple configs and a bottom intake and/or side intake onto a GPU has always improved temperature on it. Never tried a case like the Dynamic O11 though. It was designed with watercooling radiators in mind I believe.

The front side intakes on the dynamic can't really provide a lot of direct airflow over the motherboard and components, just a lot of turbulence as it enters and bounces off the side panel. Not optimal for air cooling I imagine. Ideally I would think you'd need air flowing as quickly as possible across and out with as straight a flow as possible, which is why I suggested bottom intake and top exhaust config first.

Of course the problem is that every setup has different components, different rpm/pressure rating for fans, GPU's might have 2x10cm or 3x8cm fans of different sizes and CPU coolers the same thing.

If the case is in a corner where hot air tends to pool then you might find different fan configurations with the same components work better than someone who has their case next to a door or window. All these factors can affect results.

If you really want optimal you'd have to test all yourself with your own setup, you dont need to go that extreme, but you did ask what was optimal :D

True, haha. I guess I favored esthetics over airflow in choosing this case, but reviews seem to indicate it still will provide more than enough cooling for my purposes.

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama

TRENDING THREADS