Famous Artists Pay Tribute to the King of PC Gaming, GabeN

I was originally going to do a tribute to PCG's game of the year, Elden Ring, but I wasn't getting satisfactory results. I then shifted to "bathtub Geralt" but Stability Diffusion had no idea what that was. Finally I decided on Gabe Newell, and it worked. I asked the AI to paint him as various famous artists would have painted him, and this is what I got. The name of the artist is above the picture.

Monet
claude-monet.jpg

Salvador Dali
salvador-dali.jpg

Edgar Degas
Edgar-Degas.jpg

Edward Munch
Edward-Munch.jpg

Henri Matisse
Henri-Matisse.jpg

Johannes Vermeer
Johannes-Vermeer.jpg

Leonardo da Vinci
Leonardo-da-Vinci.jpg

Michelangelo
Michelangelo.jpg

Picasso
Picasso.jpg

I love that the Bob Ross one made him look like Bob Ross instead of drawing him in Bob Ross' art style.
I don't think it knows how to emulate Bob Ross' style. I asked for the mountain and trees in the background, and it gave me 4 pictures and none of them looked like his style. It definitely knows what Ross looked like though.

Just for the record, I made it do the dogs playing poker theme as well. The first try was just a portrait in Coolidge's style.

Okay so while this is trivial fun, as an artist I have critiques.

'Famous artists' aren't paying tribute to anyone'. They never heard of Gabe N.

An AI system is taking small elements of an artist's practice and style and plagarising it just enough to be recognisable to a novice.

An artist's content, practice and style are a language that communicates at different levels in a nuanced way. I'm not sure AI is capable of that, but humans are.

Now using AI to create unique artworks, with unique input from an artist, that's where it gets interesting.

that's where it gets interesting
Zed's exercise is interesting too—different strokes and all that :)

IrfanView … meant to be a really good image viewer, as opposed to an image manipulator
I prefer FastStone Viewer as my image viewer, much superior for my needs.

IV started as a viewer but has added a lot of manipulation functionality over the years—make sure to get the download which includes all the plug-ins. I've used it and PaintShop Pro as my image workers since last century—not that I do glossy magazine stuff or anything :)

Zloth

Community Contributor
I've been using Irfanview for... I don't know, a very very long time. Excellent program that can do a lot of image manipulation and can do it in bulk if you want.

What I was thinking about was icons for work. When I make a new program, I end up spending half an hour plus just going through all the icons we've bought to try and find the least-stupid one to use. If the application is big enough, our marketing department will get in on it (and send me an "icon" that's a 4K image :eye roll: ), but most of the time it's just me. It'd be neat if I could just set a resolution of 16x16, type in "compass pointed east," and out pops a not-stupid image of a compass pointing east.

@ZedClampet - Those are amazing! Rembrandt is my favorite, it looks like an actual painting. What program did you use? I have Starryai bookmarked, but haven't spent any time with it yet.
starryai - AI Art Generator App - AI Art Maker

EDIT: I just saw another post where you named it: Stability Diffusion AI.
:That's the one. No idea which one is best, but you can download Stability Diffusion AI and run it off your own GPU.

I've been using Irfanview for... I don't know, a very very long time. Excellent program that can do a lot of image manipulation and can do it in bulk if you want.

What I was thinking about was icons for work. When I make a new program, I end up spending half an hour plus just going through all the icons we've bought to try and find the least-stupid one to use. If the application is big enough, our marketing department will get in on it (and send me an "icon" that's a 4K image :eye roll: ), but most of the time it's just me. It'd be neat if I could just set a resolution of 16x16, type in "compass pointed east," and out pops a not-stupid image of a compass pointing east.
There's a ton of these things now. Probably could find one that would do that.

Reactions: Sarafan and Zloth
It's a fascinating field, AI. I know they are using AI to develop games(Angelina being one example).
It's the early stages, but there's a number of ways that AI can be used in gaming, from design, gameplay to clever AI opponents, etc.
Nvidia and someone else I can't remember have AI in the works that can create 3d models. Going to be a free-for-all on Steam. 200 new games a day lol

TRENDING THREADS