Question EZ Debug CPU light

Sep 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi,

Today I finished my new PC build which included new Arctic fans and two RGB strips. Once assembled, I played Age of Empires for about 4 hours.
Whilst playing my PC crashed unexpectedly and turned off, so I decided to open up my PC and ensure all my cables were firmly in place.
I then rebuilt my PC, reassembled all the parts and booted the PC.

The PC turned on however, I had no HDMI signal from my GPU and USB ports were not working.

I've tried running tests such as CMOS, ensuring the seating of the cpu is correct, I cleaned the cpu and added new paste, I tried booting with 1 ram stick instead of 2. Not too sure :/

Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers guys!

---------------------------------------------------
PC Specs
AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600X, AM4, Zen 2, 6 Core, 12 Thread, 3.8GHz, 4.4GHz Turbo, 32MB L3, PCIe 4.0, 95W, CPU, +Wraith Spire
8GB MSI Radeon RX 580 ARMOR OC, 14nm Polaris, 2304 Streams, 1366MHz Boost, 8000MHz GDDR5, DP/HDMI/DVI-D
MSI B450M MORTAR MAX Motherboard
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, 250W TDP, CPU cooler
Corsair RM650, RM Series, 80 Plus Gold Certified
16gb Corsair Vengeance RAM

MaddMann

A nerd that found his place
Community Contributor
Jan 17, 2020
Visit site
Did you try overclocking it at all? Can you still boot to windows?

Otherwise, the only thing I see that might cause some issues is your PSU. It is generally recommended to have a 500w for your processor and your videocard (that does not mean you need 1000 watts though) my concern is that 650w might not be enough for cpu, gpu, non external powered usb devices, and hard drives. Though that might not be the case.

A 650W RM series PSU is way, way, way more than enough for the system. It's not even close, you could torture load the PC and still only be around 50%-60% usage.

I can't speak as to what the issue is unfortunately but it's definitely not the PSU wattage at least :)

Which is good, given PSU pricing and availability right now...

Sep 16, 2020
Visit site
I cannot boot to windows, no and I wasn't overclocking, age of empires isn't a graphic hungry game but it seemed like it just overheated and died. (could be very wrong but at the time it looked like it).

I've ran every test possible from ensuring cables are firmly in to CMOS removal, I think i'll send it back.

Thanks for the replies guys

It's unlikely anything died from overheating.

The components have protections built in to throttle performance and even shut down the system should temps become high and eventually unsafe.

The Dark Rock cooler is big and be quiet!'s mounting hasn't always been the friendliest to users. Have you tried removing the cooler, cleaning the paste, reapplying paste, and using the stock AMD cooler?

Have you tried 'breadboarding' the PC? i.e. absolute minimal components, with the mobo and everything else outside of the case? (on a non-conductive surface ofc).

It's possible you just have a dead board. I'd contact MSI support and start with them

Sep 16, 2020
Visit site
That was my initial thought, I applied too much paste at the time and some of it leaked onto the motherboard, I cleaned it and thankfully none of it went into the pins or the am4 socket.

I'm using the stock AMD cooler right now for debugging, and I am breadboarding right now to runs tests, however no luck yet.

I'll contact msi, cheers!

Reactions: Oussebon
If it's still in the returns period of wherever you bought it from you may prefer to get an exchange / refund with them rather than RMA with MSI. Main reasons being speed and the vendor would normally be expected to cover return costs if the goods were faulty, whereas warranty RMA you tend to foot the postage costs.

Sep 16, 2020
Visit site
If it's still in the returns period of wherever you bought it from you may prefer to get an exchange / refund with them rather than RMA with MSI. Main reasons being speed and the vendor would normally be expected to cover return costs if the goods were faulty, whereas warranty RMA you tend to foot the postage costs.

So I bought the motherboard through the msi store on amazon. How would I go about returning it without an RMA? Cheers

If you've ever returned a product to Amazon, you'll already be familiar with the process :)

The precise answer to your question might depend on exactly what 'store' means here.

Amazon has third party merchants who use the site as a platform to sell things (like ebay), and these merchants often have their own storefront pages where you can browse what they sell.

Amazon also has "stores" like this one which are really just product catalogues listing items that have something in common e.g. a brand like MSI, but which are actually sold by all sorts of different people.

Was the item purchased from Amazon.com or by another company selling on Amazon?

Your order details in your account will confirm if you don't know.

If the order was with a third party seller on Amazon, their page on Amazon will state their returns policy (which may often be the default policy for Amazon marketplace sellers, but best to check).

In both cases you can probably just begin the returns process through your Amazon order history. There's a button that says "return or replace items" in your order details. At least that's how Amazon UK works and I assume your country's Amazon is about the same.

This is different from a warranty RMA because you're not dealing with MSI as the manufacturer on the basis of the warranty, but the store that sold you the product on the basis of your consumer return rights.

Although any return can be described as an RMA since all that means is "return merchandise authorisation" i.e. permission from the company to return the goods to them.

Sep 16, 2020
Visit site
Its definitely the MSI store selling on amazon, not a third party seller.

It doesnt give me the option to return an order on 'orders'

I may have to contact MSI through their website, do you know how long an RMA takes and if a refund is possible? Really appreciate it! :)

How long have you had the motherboard?

The manufacturers wouldn't usually offer a refund, it tends to be repair / replace.

Refund is usually between you and the company you bought it from.

I've no idea how long MSI take with RMAs. Some places have been hit by the pandemic (and others are sluggish at the best of times) but others might still be managing fine.

Some companies do Advance RMAs where you pay a deposit, they ship you a new thing, you send back the dead one, and they refund the deposit. So you don't need to go without X component or wait for them to receive your goods before sending a new one. No idea if MSI offer this as an option, it's not all that common.

Sep 16, 2020
Visit site
How long have you had the motherboard?

The manufacturers wouldn't usually offer a refund, it tends to be repair / replace.

Refund is usually between you and the company you bought it from.

I've no idea how long MSI take with RMAs. Some places have been hit by the pandemic (and others are sluggish at the best of times) but others might still be managing fine.

Some companies do Advance RMAs where you pay a deposit, they ship you a new thing, you send back the dead one, and they refund the deposit. So you don't need to go without X component or wait for them to receive your goods before sending a new one. No idea if MSI offer this as an option, it's not all that common.

I've had it for about 3 weeks now, until it stopped recognizing the cpu.

Ill contact msi and explain my situation, it would be great if they could give replacement mobos during the RMA.

Many thanks!

TRENDING THREADS