Question External soundcard/amps like Soundblaster X4?

Jan 23, 2020
Visit site
I bought a new Origin PC in May (needed a replacement fast, no time to source parts this time) and I installed my old Soundblaster Z soundcard. It works well, but in some games I get a LOT of noise coming off the PC or PSU. In fact the only slot open for the card has the card sitting about 1/2 inch above the PSU enclosure. So I was wondering do these external soundcards they make perform as well as the internal versions?

External DACs will 90% of the time (avoid the realy cheap ones) produce better sound than internal cards due to them using digital signal from the PC to the DAC itself, asuming you run through like USB. This means that the interferance from internal components are eliminated (Sort of but here it gets realy complicated.). The DAC it self can create interferance since it converts digital to analogue (Hence the name DAC, Digital to Analogue Converter). The soundblaster X DACs are realy good, i have used the Soundblaster X G6 for years and being one of those who can hear high frequenzy noises and background hizzes easyer than many others, I can't say i hear much static at all.

However, if you are looking for a decent DAC, I would go more on features than brand, if you don't need most of the features that, for example the G6 uses, then there is no point buying the G6, you can go cheaper and still get a good DAC from a reputable brand. Same the other way around, you can go allot more expencive but DAC vs cost is realy diminishing returns when it comes to sound, Features is a different storry though.

Then we have the part of sound profiles and what nots but then we are starting to talk about personal preferences.
And don't get me started on the placebo stuff :p

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020
Visit site
Thanks! I usually only hear static when the sound is really low, like in a crafting menu or inventory in Cyberpunk 2077 for example, so it's not horrible. It's annoying though!

TRENDING THREADS