Question Dropped Frames

Jun 14, 2020
Visit site
Hello, I've been trying to figure out how to fix this issue for a while now; my games constantly drop frames and freeze up (see video below). Most of the time this issue occurs, but every once in a while I can play the game with no problems at all until I restart the computer. My current setup is:
  • Cougar QBX case
  • 650W PSU
  • ASUS Z370-I
  • Intel i7 8700K CPU
  • Gigabyte RTX 2070
  • 16gb of RAM
  • CPU Cooler + 92mm rear fan
The original computer came with a different GPU (Zotac 1070i Mini), but still had the same issue. I swapped the original computer with the seller for an identical model with the same specs and the same issue occurs (even after swapping the 1070 with the 2070). I have tried changing the clock speed of the CPU....no luck. When using the NZXT CAM overlay while playing overwatch it doesn't seem like my CPU or GPU is overheating. My drivers are up to date for the GPU, Chipset, and BIOS. I'm using an HDMI cable from my GPU (I have tested multiple + the USB-C port). My Xbox works fine on the same monitor with the same HDMI cables. This is getting so frustrating, does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?

If it's definitely a different computer - and there's no way they could have, for instance, let you have the same mobo / CPU / RAM / PSU etc and just told you the components were all new - then the obvious cause would be software.

What software have you installed / do you run?

Do you use any software to update drivers or otherwise 'manage' your system?

What storage do you have in the system? And where are the games installed?

Which games does this happen on?

Jun 14, 2020
Visit site
I was able to choose a brand new computer, so yes it is all new parts. I mainly have games, launchers, obs, and chrome installed. I use device manager to check for updates as well as Nvidia’s GeForce Experience. I used the manufactures website to check for BIOS and chipset updates. I already tried erasing the computer and it temporarily fixed the issue. I use a Samsung 970 NVMe drive. Also, this issue happens in all games.

What I would try in your place is a clean install of Windows - as per:

Then, don't install anything on your PC, except GPU drivers (don't install Geforce Experience, just the drivers), Steam, and one game. Don't install any other software whatsoever, not even / especially not CAM, and don't fiddle with drivers. See if you still get the problem.

The fact that you've had this on 2 PCs, and that resetting the PC temporarily solved the problem, points to software/configuration/driver issue as far as I can see, rather than hardware.

You're absolutely sure that you did 2 proper clean installs in the 2 hours between my post and yours? Deleting every single partition on the OS drive and so on, as per the guide I linked? Didn't miss any steps?

Throwing money at the problem randomly isn't the answer, as you've discovered by downloading moar RAM. I'd suggest not throwing more money at the system until you've tried other things.

e.g. using MSI afterburner, HWino, and Task Manager to measure detailed system resource usage (per-thread CPU load, CPU frequencies, GPU load, GPU frequencies, disk read and write usage, which programs are running).

If you really did two clean installs, and if this really is a new computer and not some of the same parts as the old one, I'd probably try the PC at various different power outlets...

Jun 14, 2020
Visit site
So last night I went into the BIOS/UEFI settings and selected "Load Default UEFI Settings" as well as adjusting the EZ System Tuning to "Fast" from "Normal" and it seems to be holding up better....

Also on the long laundry list of potential causes would be the RAM XMP profile not being set / right. I would load defaults in the BIOS and then check the XMP profile is set properly.

EZ turning is usually code for 'overclock' and if you're troubleshooting, adding an OC just adds another filter that gets in the way of finding the root cause.

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
Old thread, but I thought I'd jump in because I've been having similar issues with dropped frames. I'm almost positive mine are related to overheating. I have a similar fan setup as you, one 92 mm rear fan and the CPU fan. I started monitoring my temperatures and found that I was running rather hot at times. I watched a video on optimal fan setup and having an intake and outtake seems to be the biggest difference maker. I've purchased two new, variable rate, 140 mm fans and will setup them up as an intake and outtake. I'll update to say if that resolves my frame drop (and occasional hard crash) problems.

Reactions: burns

TRENDING THREADS