Does anybody remember RealArcade?

Oct 25, 2021
Visit site
Back in the 2000's, RealNetworks had a desktop application where you were able to download games from. (as sort of like a predecessor to Steam) It shut down back in 2013. Am I the only one that remembers this?

No, you're not. It didn't shut, it merged with GameHouse, another RealNetworks subsidiary, and is still operating under that name.

It wasn't like Steam, it was like BigFishGames. It used to offer time-limited demos of games, and the option to buy the full game.

Oct 25, 2021
Visit site
Because they've been so difficult to find these days, I started a project based around preserving its RGS files through the shared efforts of me and others. (the type of file extension used for its installers). We currently have 344 of them.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2021
Visit site
No, you're not. It didn't shut, it merged with GameHouse, another RealNetworks subsidiary, and is still operating under that name.

It wasn't like Steam, it was like BigFishGames. It used to offer time-limited demos of games, and the option to buy the full game.

They have trashed a ton of the older games and have not moved them over to GameHouse. Here is the archive website https://realarcade.org/

Oct 25, 2021
Visit site
I'm surprised we were able to find 344 of these installer things. Never knew that many people still cared enough about it to preserve these things.

For those who don't remember: they were usually found in a folder on the main drive labelled "My Download Files".

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS