Do you wait on buying a game until a new build?

I am planning on a new build when the next series of Nvidia cards drop. I have decided to hold off on playing Microsoft Flight Simulator and Red Dead Redemption 2 until that happens. I know RDR is older, but when i saw what it was doing to cards when it hit, i wanted to wait until i had a better system to play it on. Does anyone do this?

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
Well I am guilty of this right now. I got RDR2 but since my GTX 970 couldn't run it very well I decided to just wait. And since I am planning to build new PC this year (yes, Cyberpunk 2077 is one of the reasons, but I don't consider this building a new rig just for one game, my current PC is over 5 years old), I just wait for what both Nvidia and AMD will show. And hey, who knows, maybe Intel will stir the GPU market a little as well.

In the meantime I try to not buy any new games and dig a little through my pile of backlogs. Or revisit older gems.

Previously, I guess the closest thing was when I was building my current PC one of the reasons was to make it "Witcher 3 ultra-viable", but I never focus on just one game. And of course, everytime I get a new rig I would install some games that were giving me trouble before and shower myself in glorious FPS on highest graphic settings that I couldn't afford before.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Happened years ago with Fallout New Vegas. I had a very old setup and decided to wait a little until I upgraded it. My old computer was still able to run New Vegas, but the performance was quite bad. This was also one of the reasons why I bought The Witcher 3 quite late (when the GOTY edition came out). I didn't have a good enough rig to play comfortably. There was no reason to buy the game earlier. I decided to wait until upgrade. I'm planning to buy CP2077 before I upgrade my PC however. I'm waiting for new Nvidia GPUs and even if I don't buy it, maybe the older generation will get cheaper. It's a bad idea to buy a new graphics card weeks before the new ones are released. I still hope that CP2077 will be playable on my GTX 1060 though.

Yes. I've not bought Shadow of The Tomb Raider or RDR2 as I know that my GTX1060 just can't do them justice.
I may buy a new GPU this year but I'm not planning on upgrading my Ryzen 1600X so that might be an issue.

I will not buy a 3080 if it requires a 12 pin connector as I would need a new PSU which is just stupid.

The good thing is that there are a ton of really good PC games that do not require top of the range hardware. I can afford to wait.

Also 2021/2022 looks like a really exciting time for PC hardware as we probably get a new AMD socket, DDR5, 5nm/(Intel 7nm) chips and possibly multi chip GPU designs from AMD, Nvidia and intel.

Reactions: Firdaws
Pfft, you lot call yourselves PC Gamers, and yet nobody mentioned … wait for it …
Crysis
!

Hardware doesn't influence my game buying decisions, I wait until all the planets line up before buying—heck, the game might even be in retrograde before I pick it up.

Gaming solar system: Big discount, reliable recent player reviews, patches, bug fixes, DLCs done, Mods.

My next build will probably be two machines [his n hers], so I'll likely wait for the price drops after the coming new CPUs & GPUs launch—previous gen is always the sweet spot, and definitely good enough for 3-4 years of future gaming.

Reactions: DXCHASE
I usually upgrade about every 5 years, and when I do I go for whatever is the top at the time. As a result I usually don't have to upgrade for a game, my rig is capable of handling just about anything at medium at any given time. The only thing I might upgrade in between is the GPU but even that is a maybe (I did it with the 1080Ti when that launched but that was a worthwhile mid-life upgrade).

I'm definitely rebuilding when the 3090 hits. Which should set me up for whatever games are coming.

Pfft, you lot call yourselves PC Gamers, and yet nobody mentioned … wait for it …
Crysis
!

Hardware doesn't influence my game buying decisions, I wait until all the planets line up before buying—heck, the game might even be in retrograde before I pick it up.

Gaming solar system: Big discount, reliable recent player reviews, patches, bug fixes, DLCs done, Mods.

My next build will probably be two machines [his n hers], so I'll likely wait for the price drops after the coming new CPUs & GPUs launch—previous gen is always the sweet spot, and definitely good enough for 3-4 years of future gaming.

I will def. be checking out crysis both old and new on a new system, it runs ok on my current one tho.

TRENDING THREADS