Do you wait on buying a game until a new build?

Jan 15, 2020
I am planning on a new build when the next series of Nvidia cards drop. I have decided to hold off on playing Microsoft Flight Simulator and Red Dead Redemption 2 until that happens. I know RDR is older, but when i saw what it was doing to cards when it hit, i wanted to wait until i had a better system to play it on. Does anyone do this?

Reactions: Frindis and Sarafan

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
Well I am guilty of this right now. I got RDR2 but since my GTX 970 couldn't run it very well I decided to just wait. And since I am planning to build new PC this year (yes, Cyberpunk 2077 is one of the reasons, but I don't consider this building a new rig just for one game, my current PC is over 5 years old), I just wait for what both Nvidia and AMD will show. And hey, who knows, maybe Intel will stir the GPU market a little as well.

In the meantime I try to not buy any new games and dig a little through my pile of backlogs. Or revisit older gems.

Previously, I guess the closest thing was when I was building my current PC one of the reasons was to make it "Witcher 3 ultra-viable", but I never focus on just one game. And of course, everytime I get a new rig I would install some games that were giving me trouble before and shower myself in glorious FPS on highest graphic settings that I couldn't afford before.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Jan 14, 2020
Happened years ago with Fallout New Vegas. I had a very old setup and decided to wait a little until I upgraded it. My old computer was still able to run New Vegas, but the performance was quite bad. This was also one of the reasons why I bought The Witcher 3 quite late (when the GOTY edition came out). I didn't have a good enough rig to play comfortably. There was no reason to buy the game earlier. I decided to wait until upgrade. I'm planning to buy CP2077 before I upgrade my PC however. I'm waiting for new Nvidia GPUs and even if I don't buy it, maybe the older generation will get cheaper. It's a bad idea to buy a new graphics card weeks before the new ones are released. I still hope that CP2077 will be playable on my GTX 1060 though.

Reactions: Frindis and DXCHASE
Jan 14, 2020
Yes. I've not bought Shadow of The Tomb Raider or RDR2 as I know that my GTX1060 just can't do them justice.
I may buy a new GPU this year but I'm not planning on upgrading my Ryzen 1600X so that might be an issue.

I will not buy a 3080 if it requires a 12 pin connector as I would need a new PSU which is just stupid.

The good thing is that there are a ton of really good PC games that do not require top of the range hardware. I can afford to wait.

Also 2021/2022 looks like a really exciting time for PC hardware as we probably get a new AMD socket, DDR5, 5nm/(Intel 7nm) chips and possibly multi chip GPU designs from AMD, Nvidia and intel.

Jan 15, 2020
I will not buy a 3080 if it requires a 12 pin connector as I would need a new PSU which is just stupid.
I was reading that the 3090 would require at least an 850W psu which is insane, but id be building a whole new setup if i were to pick up that card lol.

Frindis

Jan 14, 2020
Not usually, but with Cyberpunk coming and Flight Simulator 2020 not running as smooth as I want it, I am thinking of getting rid of my super loud/Über warm PC from hell.

Aug 25, 2020
Pfft, you lot call yourselves PC Gamers, and yet nobody mentioned … wait for it …
Crysis
!

Hardware doesn't influence my game buying decisions, I wait until all the planets line up before buying—heck, the game might even be in retrograde before I pick it up.

Gaming solar system: Big discount, reliable recent player reviews, patches, bug fixes, DLCs done, Mods.

My next build will probably be two machines [his n hers], so I'll likely wait for the price drops after the coming new CPUs & GPUs launch—previous gen is always the sweet spot, and definitely good enough for 3-4 years of future gaming.

Reactions: DXCHASE
Jun 26, 2020
I usually upgrade about every 5 years, and when I do I go for whatever is the top at the time. As a result I usually don't have to upgrade for a game, my rig is capable of handling just about anything at medium at any given time. The only thing I might upgrade in between is the GPU but even that is a maybe (I did it with the 1080Ti when that launched but that was a worthwhile mid-life upgrade).

I'm definitely rebuilding when the 3090 hits. Which should set me up for whatever games are coming.

Jan 15, 2020
Pfft, you lot call yourselves PC Gamers, and yet nobody mentioned … wait for it …
Crysis
!

Hardware doesn't influence my game buying decisions, I wait until all the planets line up before buying—heck, the game might even be in retrograde before I pick it up.

Gaming solar system: Big discount, reliable recent player reviews, patches, bug fixes, DLCs done, Mods.

My next build will probably be two machines [his n hers], so I'll likely wait for the price drops after the coming new CPUs & GPUs launch—previous gen is always the sweet spot, and definitely good enough for 3-4 years of future gaming.

I will def. be checking out crysis both old and new on a new system, it runs ok on my current one tho.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts