Do you like it here? :)

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Status
Not open for further replies.
(queue Men at Work)

vnPaJP.gif

I hate that Men at Work song... I heard it the first time around, and now every National Holiday/fireworks event its dragged out again

Well if a bank or airline wants to make a commercial with slow shots of red desert scrubland and coastlines it's either this or Great Southern Land.

Reactions: mainer and Pifanjr
I feel kinda bad about how its saturday and i just saw this topic lol

How did you find us?

Been going to PCG.com for a while before the board started and was around when i read it was coming so, i found out about the boards from PCG.

What was your first post?

Replying for a chance to win something from Assassins Creed, then i commented how Mad Max was such an underrated game, i think i started off nice.

Why do you stick around?

I was here since the beginning of this forum for the most part and kinda want to stay with it for as long as the board is around. Thats really the biggest reason lol, but i do like giving advice/help and my opinion too.

What would you like to see in the future?

More involvement from the PCG staff maybe? Maybe some more contests for game keys? I like it now though the way it is :)

While this might not be that fun for incoming members, I was thinking how cool it would be if someone with artistic skills (I only know paint and bad at it) could have made a kind of members group picture. Using our avatars in different ways, uniting old members, staff, and moderators in a kind of full framed picture. Think like the ones you had in high school, just done a bit more funky. I dunno, I'm just rambling a little:)

McStabStab

Community Contributor
How did you find us?
Through the PCG website.

It was responding to someone's post about Royal Taxes in Anno 1800. The first thread I started was about biggest "oof" moments we've made while gaming, like accidently healing Fane to death in Divinity: Original Sin 2.

Why do you stick around?
I think for the same reason most of us are here, we love PC gaming and we love talking about PC gaming. That and I like when we answer the weekly questions and get featured on the website - always fun!

Maybe some more community highlights like a "screenshot/clip of the week" or "popular threads this month". You guys are doing great thought!

So I'm calling in my TBD marker in my original post on your last question:

Mostly I'm just going to 2nd (or 3rd, 4th) others suggestions, although I do have one idea that has yet to be mentioned.

-More members- This most definitely. The question is, why don't we have more members? This is the most welcoming gaming forum I've ever been a part of, PCG is known world wide, and there are millions of gamers out there; so where is everyone?

I think part of it is that there is a communication or language barrier for some gamers. We're basically an English speaking forum, but I see a lot of first time posts where the person seems confused as to what to say, or in some cases asking how to create a post when they just made one, and some posts are made in a language that we're not familiar with. I know that there's Google Translate, but I'm not sure if that's the solution, and I can't really offer solutions, but maybe if the subject is broached, others might come up with something.

Visibility is something else that might help bump up membership. It seems like most of us learned of this forum from the main PCG page. As it stands right now, there's only a little, tiny link to the forum in the top banner; which is probably overlooked by gamers going to the PCG site. Increasing that visibility, both on the PCG site and other gaming sites/platforms, might lead to more members.

-PCG Articles on the Forum- This is an excellent idea that I think was first mentioned by Kaamos_Llama. You wouldn't even need to do all the articles, but there are many that I've commented on in Disqus, but then the article gets buried and I never go back to keep up with the discussion. Here I think there are many members who would like to have a continuing discussion on some of those articles. Some might fizzle out after a few comments, and you could just lock those, but others I see as being kept alive rather than loosing track of them. There are several regular posters there also (in addition to some of us), and it might be a way to pull some of them to the forum.

I'd like to see an off-topic "Life" category where you can post anything but religion or politics. Don't want to add arguments to the site, but it might be interesting to hear about people's pets or whatever is going on in their lives, that sort of thing. I'm not deeply committed to this, just thought it would be fun to learn more about the posters.

I like this idea also as it's nice to get little insights into the gamers you talk with frequently. I'm not talking an invasion of privacy by any means, just little glimpses, windows into things that are important to someone, or what they've done in the past, or plans for the future. Sometimes just a single picture can give you a glimpse (like your bonus chair spin, which was very cool). BrianBrou did a post about keeping your PC off the floor, and the thing I really loved about that post, was some of us posted photos, not just of our gaming rig, but the environment we game in. I love seeing shots like that.

-Mods- This is something I would love to see that didn't seem to be mentioned yet. One of the greatest things about gaming on the PC is our ability to mod most of our games to varying degrees. The PCG site, as well as PCG Magazine (the Extra Life column Mod Spotlight is one of my favorites) often have articles on mods and/or modding. I'd love to see a dedicated forum section on mods and modding. Personal experience, screenshots, or short videos of a mod or group of mods that we use or love. I don't mean a trouble shooting column (although I'm sure we'd offer help if we knew the answer), as someone trouble shooting mods really needs to go to the site and/or mod author from where they got the mods. More of a personal experience section.

And while I'm on the subject (sort of) of the Extra Life Section in PCG Magazine, the Reinstall sub-section would also be a nice addition if something like that could be added as a forum section. I play a lot of older games (as I think many of us do), and it's fun to read about or see others doing the same. Sometimes you'll see a game you haven't played for years and completely forgot about.

Great post, Mainer!
I see a lot of first time posts
We get close to 1,000 spam posts a day, only a tiny fraction of which make it into public view. What you see are mostly the contents of that fraction.

-Mods- … a personal experience section
Oh yes, this! Mods are one of the biggest reasons I've stuck with PC gaming over the decades. The modding community truly are remarkable and generous people, it would be great to recognize a few of them while educating ourselves on the topic.

Reinstall
As well as your suggestion, How To about the tricky old games would be a big help—I know from experience some require jumping thru hoops. Newer members probably aren't even familiar with the simpler stuff like Compatibility Mode or Target switches.

Reactions: mainer and Frindis
We're basically an English speaking forum, but I see a lot of first time posts where the person seems confused as to what to say,

Part of that is down to them missing the link in intro PM showing where to post introductions but we try to fix those quick. If you don't read the intro PM, you miss a few suggested places to start.

or in some cases asking how to create a post when they just made one,
i like these confused posts, I always answer... but you just made one?
Explanation is what Brian said, spam. Forums may not let them post links to some places. That can be confusing, it doesn't like some image sharing websites for instance. That isn't just here, its a feature of all Future forums its seems.

Off topic areas are hard to control. Boundaries need to be set before it gets out of hand. It may start off as a purely good idea but it always ends badly. Not everyone sees things the same ways. Real world events cause division. Its hard enough keeping Android articles off here without everything else... just my 2 cents.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
How did you find us?

I visit PC Gamer website regularly so it wasn't a problem to notice that the forums are up and running again. :) So I jumped in.

It was a post where we introduce ourselves. So basically my first contact with the forums was a standard greeting post.

Why do you stick around?

I like people who write here. I know that when I enter the forums, I'll meet familiar faces who always have something interesting to say. I also made an important decision to improve my English and actively participating on the forums helps a lot. Unfortunately I don't always have time to write here. :( I usually try to find some of it at least once or two times a week, but it's not easy. Finding time for work, playing games, being a moderator on GOG, participating on the forums and some other social life is quite hard, but I do my best. ;)

Generally I'm satisfied with how the forum works. It has a good engine, so I don't see too much place for improvement in this aspect. I would certainly see more new active users. I like it when I see familiar faces, but would also like to see some new people that write here on regular basis. It's not easy to encourage people to use forums in the age of Facebook, Twitter and other social media though.

I speak Australian, I tried English but it is too hard. Every English speaking country has its own version. You can't even agree on spelling. So since UK & USA can't agree how some words are spelled, why should the rest of us play along? Its hard when you live in a country that for most of its history sucked up to one of them just to swap mid way through last century, so we get both.

I know I speak a different language as I just have to same some words that seem normal and other people look at me and go "what?" and that is without even mentioning what we wear on our feet in summer. Sometimes.

Challenge for all the native speakers here:

See how long it takes you to reach @Sarafan's level of proficiency.

I so often wish I could be multilingual, and have great respect for anyone that can communicate in more than one language. I was too rebellious in my younger years to learn, and I even flunked first year French my sophomore year in high school (back in 1966) and had to take it again.

Sep 10, 2020
Visit site
How did you find us?
I searched for an English speaking gaming forum on Google

I was answering a question about the differences between Crusader Kings 2 and 3.

Why do you stick around?

Because the "core community" of this forum seems to be really nice. I've read quite interesting points in some discussions.

Even more and longer and more in-depth discussions. (Yes, I have to contribute more!)

Sometimes I'm a bit confused on why some threads get closed just because OP hasn't answered in five days although the topic itself could be timeless.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Challenge for all the native speakers here:

See how long it takes you to reach @Sarafan's level of proficiency.

Thanks for the kind words! :) I'm still trying to improve though as there's certainly space for it. I learned a lot from watching cartoons in English when I was a kid. When you're very young, you can learn a foreign language easily by simply listening. Watching these cartoons probably helped me more than learning English at school. :)

I so often wish I could be multilingual, and have great respect for anyone that can communicate in more than one language. I was too rebellious in my younger years to learn, and I even flunked first year French my sophomore year in high school (back in 1966) and had to take it again.

I had a pleasure to learn French for three years in high school. I wasn't able to get any proficiency with it. Now I basically don't remember anything and would have serious trouble to construct a single sentence in this language... :p

Last edited:
Sometimes I'm a bit confused on why some threads get closed just because OP hasn't answered in five days although the topic itself could be timeless.
Most of the threads we close for that reason are laptop/PC Build questions. As they tend to get the wrong attention. Its better now but for a long time the quality of the replies on those threads left a lot to be desired, and it was mostly a waste of time asking questions in there, it has improved in the last few weeks.

A general discussion thread shouldn't be closed that soon. They stay alive for as long as people answer them.

I even flunked first year French
I learned 4 languages in school, and from that plus later experiences I'm fairly sure lingo is an aptitude—you either have the gene, or not. Like music, math, coding etc.
Great shame 2 of mine are dead lingos, German is the only other one I got a lot of use from.

pleasure to learn French
Ah, a fan of irregular verbs—a species definitely on the endangered list!

Reactions: mainer and Pifanjr
I learned 4 languages in school, and from that plus later experiences I'm fairly sure lingo is an aptitude—you either have the gene, or not. Like music, math, coding etc.
Great shame 2 of mine are dead lingos, German is the only other one I got a lot of use from.

I got classes for 6 different languages in school. I dropped 3 of them as soon as I could. I'm glad most young people have a decent grasp of English nowadays.

I have asked for a little assistance, advice, and tips multiple times and nobody has ever tried helping me yet
Fair comment, your two threads indeed went unanswered. The first one "Looking into a PC" is my fault—I should have moved it from the General Gaming forum to System Building, where there's a better chance of someone being able to help.

I moved it just now—do you still need help on that topic?
Fyi we try our best, but we're limited on hardware knowledge here, so Tom's Hardware is a better alternative for hardware-focused questions.

Your second thread "Having trouble with Graphics Rendering" is in the correct Troubleshooting forum. I suspect it's a simple case of no one who's read it has anything useful to contribute—I know I don't, even with my limited hardware & gaming knowledge, it seems a strange situation.

For anyone who wants to have another look:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS