Do gamer’s prefer wired or wireless mice

Welcome to the forum :)

Do most hardcore gamers still prefer wired mice?
Hopefully our resident pro @Frag Maniac will drop by to comment :)

Check these out:

Reactions: mainer
I've tried wireless back when the lag problem was common. Anymore it's not as much an issue, nor is battery life. When I tried a wireless one it wasn't the greatest if you regularly did really long gaming sessions, and the charging cords, which you CAN play on too, are often stiff.

I'm not 100% sure if I prefer wired because I haven't tried the latest wireless. It's personal preference mostly I think. Another factor besides the ones I mentioned is weight. Quite often wireless are heavier due to the batteries, so despite no cord to worry about, they can still be cumbersome.

A wired mouse is a LOT less hassle cord wise if you just rig up a make shift cord keeper though. I have an industrial grade keyboard pullout tray that was mounted on a office desk I got used YEARS ago at Boeing Surplus, that also has a 1 1/4 " thick MDF walnut laminate top. The KB tray's back wall is sectioned with low spots to run cords through. I simply take a med size zip tie and wrap it tightly around the 3" tall section of it's back wall to the far right, then slip a 1 1/2 " piece of fuel hose I slit lengthwise to slip the mouse cord into, and jam both inside the zip tie behind the tray's back wall. I position the hose piece at a 45 degree angle, which keeps the small loop of slack in the cord at the right height.

• Love
Reactions: Brian Boru
Others may not know batteries aren't needed in USB-chargeable mice, like my Logitech MX Master.
I don't see how that's possible since some kind of battery would have to be in it to even hold the charge in the first place. Seems like you're really just talking about a battery that's more efficient, high tech, and shaped differently than the AAs they used to use. It's possible as well these batteries are not removeable or replaceable.

The one I tried years ago I'm pretty sure had the AA type, but they did not need to be removed to charge them.

Do most hardcore gamers still prefer wired mice? A few years ago most didn’t like wireless because of lag an stuff.
I think you mean "competitive" gamers. Pretty much everyone here is "hardcore", but few of us play competitive games, many of which are actually casual.

But I use wired because I never have to replace batteries or charge in the middle of a game.

Uh, no he didn't :)
Mouse is a totally personal choice, heavy wireless is best for me, light wired for someone else, etc.
Very true, in fact it ties into what sensitivity you use as well, because those whom are used to and can handle high sensitivity are less likely to pick up the mouse to brush it across the pad more than once due to not having to drag it as far with higher sensitivity. It also ties into what kind of games you play, because some games have a broad range of sensitivity from iron sights, to scoped weapons, to turrets.

Do most hardcore gamers still prefer wired mice? A few years ago most didn’t like wireless because of lag an stuff.
This article is pretty comprehensive. They are both as good as each other these days.

It is totally a personal choice with gamers though and most aren't 'hardcore'.

I don't mind wired, the cable isn't a problem and as it's braided covered. Plus I can't be bothered with batteries. My wireless mouse really ate the juice, whereas my KB doesn't.

I had this idea that I'd like a mouse that hovered slightly on a cushion of air for easier/quicker movement , but that's just crazy. Maybe some maglev mouse mat idea would work!

I'd aso like to know why I can't buy wired, noise cancelling headphones(unless anyone knows better). I can plug the audio lead in to PC but not USB power.

With these built in batteries in a number of devices, it's a pain when they reach end of battery life.

Would give a new meaning to 'hover' :)

Has anyone tried those inductive mouse mats, that charge it in situ? Any good?

Yes those inductive mouse mats do look like a good solution. There are also carbon fibre mouse mats.

It seems we could all upgrade our tech about every six months and that's what companies want, but that also drives innovation.

I'm a sucker for buying new or novel tech, just to own it and play with it.

Often I don't need it really, but then somehow at some point it becomes exactly what I want. These KRK Rokit PC speakers mean I can hear every individual instrument in say a Jazz band.

Hardcore gamers prefer wired everything. Even if issues like lag input, battery life and stuff is pretty much non existent anymore, you dont have to even worry about any of that if everything is plugged in. Just like using wired internet vs wireless. Wired is always better even if the latter is good too.

I prefer wired mouse, wired keyboard and wired headphones wired into a DAC.

I know some people like the "clean" look of wireless mouse, keyboard, headphones etc. but i dont need this look if im the only one really looking at my PC.

Wired is always better even if the latter is good too
Agreed.

It's the cords which bug me, not the look or neatness. I have wired keyboard since it doesn't move, but wireless mouse since the cord bugs me. I had wireless headsets too until battery trouble, back to wired now but the cord is still a minor annoyance.

If I had to get a wired mouse, I'd dig out the old cord holder I used to have, which mostly negated pull & drag issues. Hmm, current designs seem to want to exploit the "gaming" +20-50% price gouge opportunity—mine's much simpler than this, just a weighted block with a clip slot to grab the cord:

May 1, 2020
Visit site
A few years ago most didn’t like wireless because of lag an stuff.

I experience mouse lag everytime I put in a USB data drive. Mouse lags incredibly much when I transfer files to a usb thumb drive or transfer files between a usb external drive and my computer. I don't understand why. This mouse is a 2.4Ghz wireless office mouse.

That said I don't really have a preference, I found that I can game on any mouse as long as it's conventional. And as long as I'm not transferring files between storage devices.

But if I had a choice I would go for wired gaming mice. I've owned like 4 wired gaming mice and it's just what I go to. To not deal with potential lag.

Mouse lags incredibly much when I transfer files to a usb thumb drive or transfer files between a usb external drive and my computer
Possible causes:
♣ Power overload—2 drives in action draw most of your available power, leaving little for all other peripherals. Disconnect any other unneeded USB peripherals, especially heavy power draws like external drives.
♦ Wireless signal corruption—does it happen with wired mouse also? Move mouse dongle physically away from drive ports, especially the external drive port.
♥ USB overload—too much going on at once for your USB systems to handle it all, like the power problem.

Solutions:
♣ Move affected components physically away from each other
♦ Reduce simultaneous power draw, plug devices into separate wall sockets
♥ Get a powered USB hub—eg I've used this one for 6-7 years.

If you're still in trouble, start a new thread in Peripherals forum and the community experts will dive in—it's an overload or conflict :)

Reactions: givemejalapenos
May 1, 2020
Visit site

Possible causes:
♣ Power overload—2 drives in action draw most of your available power, leaving little for all other peripherals. Disconnect any other unneeded USB peripherals, especially heavy power draws like external drives.
♦ Wireless signal corruption—does it happen with wired mouse also? Move mouse dongle physically away from drive ports, especially the external drive port.
♥ USB overload—too much going on at once for your USB systems to handle it all, like the power problem.

Solutions:
♣ Move affected components physically away from each other
♦ Reduce simultaneous power draw, plug devices into separate wall sockets
♥ Get a powered USB hub—eg I've used this one for 6-7 years.

If you're still in trouble, start a new thread in Peripherals forum and the community experts will dive in—it's an overload or conflict :)

It could be wireless signal corruption since it doesn't happen with wired mouse.

mine probably works, I just retired it and replaced it with garbage... I mean, a Razer mouse.,.. which was soon replaced by a Steelseries and I am yet to change again.

they made good hardware, it and keyboard lasted at least 5 years before I had to replace them. I was sad when I found they didn't make them anymore. I do that, I tend to use the same things forever and its only when they break I find its long gone. It didn't happen with my last mouse that was 8 years old when I replaced it, they still make the model but I wasn't sure the driver problem I had with old one wouldn't happen again, so I swapped models.

I started using Logitech G502 back in oldie times when they were first released (2013 or so?) Been using that cabled model upp till about a few years ago when i switched to a g502 Lightspeed. I use the Lightspeed with logitechs "mousemat" that charges the mouse so i don't have to worry about the battery running dry. I love this setup, i can't say i notice any difference in latancy etc compared to the corded version but i realy apriciate not having the cable getting in the way now. I still use my old 502 from time to time and i still like that one to but the lightspeed has a slight edge imo.

I prefer both as of lately. I have a wired Steelseries: Rival 3 that I use for anything else than shooters and I use a wireless Logitech G Pro (Shroud version) for shooters. Been using the wireless for two months now and it is at 20% battery life and that is from playing a decent amount of shooters every week. Impressive to say at least and it also feels extremely good to use. With the exception of the Benq Zowie FK-series, this is the best mouse I have ever used, wired or not.