Do any of you take the time to write a Steam Review for a game you've completed?

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Seriously, your 'Games Completed' posts are always a good read, even if I have no interest in the game itself

Glad to hear it! i just do it as an outlet to express myself. Kinda like writing a message in a bottle and tossing it into the sea where it'll never get read. I should try and put a bit more effort in writing them as its me rambling most of the time and filled with grammer errors.

If I asked you if I should do something, and you said, "Maybe," that gets me nowhere, and probably a huge number of people would habitually leave "Meh" reviews instead of taking a stand one way or another.
That's why I think adding a neutral option wouldn't really make it any better. I can't agree that a simple like or dislike reply suffices though. We may as well give up on reviews altogether if we accept that all people either hate or love entertainment content. I mean really, does the simple thumbs up or down system have to dominate everything? I feel like we've devolved into bickering back and forth like Siskel and Ebert did, rather than have an intelligent discussion about it with all the nuances.

You guys DO know don't you that it's simple systems like this that assume you love everything in a vague category, which is why data mining services like Steam, Netflix, and so many others often get us completely wrong with their recommendations? It's why I hate it when big corporations try to convince the masses they need to use such systems, when in fact it only makes it easier for them, not more accurate for us. The net connected world of convenience is a construct of laziness that in turn makes it's users lazy.

Last edited:
That's why I think adding a neutral option wouldn't really make it any better. I can't agree that a simple like or dislike reply suffices though. We may as well give up on reviews altogether if we accept that all people either hate or love entertainment content. I mean really, does the simple thumbs up or down system have to dominate everything? I feel like we've devolved into bickering back and forth like Siskel and Ebert did, rather than have an intelligent discussion about it with all the nuances.

You guys DO know don't you that it's simple systems like this that assume you love everything in a vague category, which is why data mining services like Steam, Netflix, and so many others often get us completely wrong with their recommendations? It's why I hate it when big corporations try to convince the masses they need to use such systems, when in fact it only makes it easier for them, not more accurate for us. The net connected world of convenience is a construct of laziness that in turn makes it's users lazy.
I don't know that it's supposed to represent 'love' v 'hate'. That's a bit strong. But I could go with a 1 to 5 star system. That would be far more accurate than either a yes/no or yes/no/sort of system.

Reactions: mainer and Pifanjr
I don't know that it's supposed to represent 'love' v 'hate'. That's a bit strong.
I know love vs hate seems strong, but that is how I think it ends up compiling in the minds of those whom employ such systems.

But I could go with a 1 to 5 star system. That would be far more accurate than either a yes/no or yes/no/sort of system.
Agreed.

Zloth

Community Contributor
What you are saying here is that you are wishy washy and indecisive. I'm more manly. I grasp the Golden Gavel of Thunder and give it a mighty swing, and my decision echoes through the halls of both men and gods.
A golden gavel?? One of the softest metals??? Does the gavel bend every time you swing it? Maybe you just turn it around so it bends the other way next time. Gonna be funny when metal fatigue makes it snap!

someone asks a question on Amazon about a product, and someone gets on there and says, "I don't know." Then why in the world did you answer the question? It happens all the time, too.
It's because Amazon sends such questions to people who previously bought the product. Some who are not familiar with the system will think the question is aimed at them alone.

I always write a good review if i enjoyed a game that some players just bad mouth for no apparent reason , example when horizon zero dawn came out a lot of players bad mouthed it , one guy said hey watched the you kid in the tunnel and got a refund so i just said the game dont come alive until after she suddenly grows up after training ....... his following comments to me were removed. HZD is the only game i have completed and started again the next day.

By the same footing i will give a game a bad review IF i think it deserves it but i will always say why instead of just bad mouthing it.

I have seen some games devs say player xyz is trolling our game because he does not even own it and they have seen them do it on other discussions.

It's because Amazon sends such questions to people who previously bought the product. Some who are not familiar with the system will think the question is aimed at them alone.
That's kind of what I thought, too. But it's still really annoying.

I always write a good review if i enjoyed a game that some players just bad mouth for no apparent reason , example when horizon zero dawn came out a lot of players bad mouthed it , one guy said hey watched the you kid in the tunnel and got a refund so i just said the game dont come alive until after she suddenly grows up after training ....... his following comments to me were removed. HZD is the only game i have completed and started again the next day.
I have no idea why so many people badmouth HZD. It's one of my favorite games.

For instance, when we were talking about Hard West the other day, I very briefly described what you did in the game, but emphasized my major problem, the save system, because if I were reading the reviews for that game, that's what I'd want to know.
And that was extremely helpful to me, as once I saw the check point save system, I knew I'd never be happy with the game. Check point saving might not be a big deal to some players, but I've always found them frustrating.

Reviews like that, listing the major positives and negatives from another player, are as helpful to me as the long, detailed, point by point reviews.

By the same footing i will give a game a bad review IF i think it deserves it but i will always say why instead of just bad mouthing it.
That's as important as positive reviews, just explaining why you personally didn't like the game. Trash talking doesn't help anyone. Your negatives for a game might not necessarily be negatives to me, but understanding what another player didn't like a certain feature is helpful.

Sometimes it's helpful to explain how the DLC fits in, too. Is this the kind of DLC you need to have right at the start of a game, do you add it half way along, or is it the kind you'll only want to do after the game is done (so don't buy until you're sure you'll finish)? That's often missing in the store page info.
For many games, that's a huge element that's often overlooked, rather going to reviews of each individual DLC (or expansion in some cases), it would be nice to see reviewers include that in their review (or update them) of the main game. When is it accessible? Do you play it during or after the main game? Does it affect (or add to) the base games story? There're many variables involved. Some DLCs I've considered essential to the overall experience, others I've avoided, but it would be informative to see all that information in one place.

Mar 5, 2023
Visit site
yes, many Steam users do take the time to write reviews for games they have completed, and it can be a valuable way to engage with the Steam community and provide feedback to developers.

yes, many Steam users do take the time to write reviews for games they have completed, and it can be a valuable way to engage with the Steam community and provide feedback to developers.
Some would argue though that it is in reality a very small portion of players whom play Steam distributed games that actually write reviews on them. Furthermore there seems to be a small clique in many games whom dominate. This is no doubt due to Steam forums and review boards being literally unmoderated, so fights often break out and extreme opinions and language get used, making it hard to believe a lot of what is said. So you really have to throw out the overly positive, and overly negative reviews, which is hard to do with a thumbs up or thumbs down system without reading every review all the way through. It also makes the effective percentage of players whom submit reviews feel much smaller than it is.

TRENDING THREADS