Do any of you knowledgeable computer guys/gals know of a WWII air combat CD that will run on Windows 10?

Mar 19, 2020
Visit site
My computer is about 5 years old with intel (R) core (TM) i5-4440 CPU @3.1 GHz (RAM) 12.0GB, 64 bit operating system X 64 based processor, HD graphics 4600. Was recently upgraded to Windows 10. Don't know what any of this means, but I bet you do.

Um, not on CD at all. If it must be on CD, can't help you. Otherwise your main limiting factor is that HD4600. You'd have to search game by game through their system requirements to find one you might play reasonably well. I did a brief search on Steam and came across one Sky Gamblers that seems to be liked (though a very small sampling) and in your system spec range.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for your time. I'll check out Sky Gamblers. I said CD. Do the acronyms for CD and DVD represent the same? If nothing on CD is available, then just on-line stuff? If the HD4600 is limiting, can that be bumped up? I have a DELL PC that is about 5 years old.
It appears that all the really cool aerial combat fighter plane simulations were produced many years ago, and run on systems like Windows 98, 2000, 7 and XP, but nothing for Windows 10. Thanks again; I'm sure you can conclude that I am technologically challenged.

Win 10 will usually run anything that wants WIn 7 or later. Anything before Win 7 is a crapshoot. Most of the time you'll have to finagle a few things to get a game made for XP or earlier to work at all (unless you get a game from GOG or something where they already did all that finagling for you)

Again, finding anything on CD/DVD is going to be a lot of work, you won't find anything on the main stores, Amazon and Ebay are your best bets but the picking are usually thin. I'd do you best to get that system hooked up to the internet, download is the best way to go.

As for getting better graphics, probably not. You'd have to open up your system to see if there's an open slot for one, but that's not something I won't help with here. Maybe look up on the model number and see what expansion capabilities it has.

Mar 19, 2020
Visit site
Thanks folks for the great info. SWARD, internet is through Xfinity, so it should be fast enough. It's nothing like the old dial up from the dark ages. Looks like I'll go the internet route. The reason I have all the questions is because over twenty years ago I had a CD, which was called "F-22 Lightning" or something like that. I hooked in a joystick and played it a frequently. It was fun, but it started hanging up and not working. Haven't done much gaming since other than some golf and maybe brief stints of some other things.

Reactions: SWard

Zloth

Community Contributor
An HD4600 is similar to an NVIDIA 720 (according to this site). That's fairly typical for somebody who isn't a gamer on a 5 year old machine. But yeah, modern enthusiast stuff isn't going to happen.

@Tommy - yeah, games are rarely bought in boxes now. We buy them on online stores and download them instead. If you still had dial-up or an old DSL line, that download time could be really long.

Let's see, WW2 flight simulators have been fairly rare while you've been away from the hobby.

IL-2 Sturmovik (which you can get on GOG) is a pretty hard core flight simulator but it looks like you have to do some research to get it working on Windows 10.

B-17 Flying Fortress is older but looks to be a safer bet: https://www.gog.com/game/b_17_flying_fortress_the_mighty_8th

There's maaaaany more games out there, of course, if you get out of your WW2 cockpits.

Reactions: Frindis and Alm
Mar 19, 2020
Visit site
Zloth,
Thanks for your insight. Unlike most of you, I've never been a true gamer, just kind of dabbled once in a while. You folks are educating me on your world. I thought most of you popped a CD into your machines and settled in to play. I have realized that is not the case any more. I was also using the term "flight simulator" pretty loosely. What I was looking for was an arcade style aerial combat game, and I have learned that one just downloads a game from the internet and goes to it. Heck, I thought STEAM was what came out of my ears when I got mad at the War Dept. Anyway, upon a recommendation, I think a game entitled "Sky Gamblers" will work on my somewhat limited machine. Thanks again for your time.

Tom

Reactions: Frindis
Mar 11, 2020
Visit site
I agree, finding something on DVD/CD is going to be very difficult. For offline, buy DCS WW2 aircraft. Then for online War Thunder is a good option.

Mar 19, 2020
Visit site
HBZK100,
Thanks, I also considered "War Thunder", which was suggested by another. In your informed opinion, do you think my computer has the capability to run it? I described the characteristics of my computer in my first post if that helps.

Mar 11, 2020
Visit site
HBZK100,
Thanks, I also considered "War Thunder", which was suggested by another. In your informed opinion, do you think my computer has the capability to run it? I described the characteristics of my computer in my first post if that helps.

Easy I ran War Thunder off a 8800 GTS and GT 540M before without any issues.

You should be able to run 1080P low settings, or 768P medium.

Reactions: Frindis
Mar 19, 2020
Visit site
Update: I purchased a Thrustmaster FCS Joystick and downloaded the Sky Gamblers arcade WWII flight game. Did the tutorials, and through lots of trial and error am getting the hang of it.... sort of. My question is this. When I try and land the plane, upon the final approach before touchdown, the thing takes a hard right and does a nose dive into the ground. It does this every time, and it's always the same. Is there a glitch in the system somewhere?

Mar 11, 2020
Visit site
Update: I purchased a Thrustmaster FCS Joystick and downloaded the Sky Gamblers arcade WWII flight game. Did the tutorials, and through lots of trial and error am getting the hang of it.... sort of. My question is this. When I try and land the plane, upon the final approach before touchdown, the thing takes a hard right and does a nose dive into the ground. It does this every time, and it's always the same. Is there a glitch in the system somewhere?

Before landing (i mean just before touchdown), first make sure you're at 0% throttle. Next, to counter the propeller torque from flipping the plane over, use rudder and aileron to keep the airplane steady.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS