ryzen 5 3600
gigabyte b550 gaming x
gigabyte rtx 2070 super
gigabyte 256gb nvme ssd
gigabyte 650w psu
coolermaster ML240
wd 1tb 7200

Issue:
After few minutes after switching on, the display is cut off.
GPU, Cooler, Case fans are spinning fine, power btn led is on, all led's are on, no parts heating, no beeping.
After display goes dark, OS is not running, checked by trying to ssh & telnet after display goes off and it does not works.
Tried re-assembly, jumped reset cmos, re-isntalled OS, removed ssd and only used hdd.
Happening across any os - windows/ubuntu.

No overclocks. Bios settings set to stock, also tried setting pcie x16 to gen3, gen4 & auto, it does not solves.
ssh ofcourse works when monitor is on 😅. Tried another monitor and it's the same.

Btw i've tested with 2 different LG 27uk650 monitors.

What could be the issue - faulty mobo/gpu/psu?

Welcome to the forum :)

After few minutes after switching on, the display is cut off
You've done a heck of a lot of troubleshooting, kudos.

What is the display?
Do you usually launch the same app(s) before this happens?

You didn't mention cables, that's all I can think of:
1 try a different cable;
2 try different HDMI ports on both GPU and display;
3 check cable isn't under undue stress, eg stretched or hanging down and loosening the connection.

Someone more expert will probably be along soon, and will probably want more detail about your power supply—so if you can post that in advance, great.

Jun 28, 2021
Visit site
Welcome to the forum :)

You've done a heck of a lot of troubleshooting, kudos.

What is the display?
Do you usually launch the same app(s) before this happens?

You didn't mention cables, that's all I can think of:
1 try a different cable;
2 try different HDMI ports on both GPU and display;
3 check cable isn't under undue stress, eg stretched or hanging down and loosening the connection.

Someone more expert will probably be along soon, and will probably want more detail about your power supply—so if you can post that in advance, great.

Display goes off at random times, no corelation with apps. Tried different cables (both dp & hdmi) & monitors, no stress and loose connection troubleshooted all types of scenarios with cables.

PSU is - gigabyte p650b, some say it could be bottleneck, it's a low-end psu. But sometimes display goes off during booting and other time while working fine for some minutes.

Some say cooler pump issue, but mobo fan readings say the cooler fans are running in tandem to cpu fans.

Temps are normal in range of 39-42 with max ~60 while casual gaming in 4k res with sottr, cyberpunk, gta 5.

Display cuts out even during non heavy workloads like netflix with almost no major background workloads.

tried testing gpu in another pc and see if same occurs?

i did look at PSU, its other possibility but i often find it also turns off USB and you say that keeps working

no errors in windows? no sign the driver has restarted? look in reliability history. any errors at same time? you might get hardware errors in here as it sees the restart as an error.

Reactions: Suryadinata
Jul 1, 2021
Visit site
Display goes off at random times, no corelation with apps. Tried different cables (both dp & hdmi) & monitors, no stress and loose connection troubleshooted all types of scenarios with cables.

PSU is - gigabyte p650b, some say it could be bottleneck, it's a low-end psu. But sometimes display goes off during booting and other time while working fine for some minutes.

Some say cooler pump issue, but mobo fan readings say the cooler fans are running in tandem to cpu fans.

Temps are normal in range of 39-42 with max ~60 while casual gaming in 4k res with sottr, cyberpunk, gta 5.

Display cuts out even during non heavy workloads like netflix with almost no major background workloads.
Hey Ocase, have you managed to find the solution to your problem?
I'm having the exact same issue with an AMD build as well, though my time frame for the problem seems to be quite different. Sometimes it happens after a couple minutes, sometimes it's after half an hour, sometimes whileediting video, sometimes when my computer goes to sleep and it just doesn't come back...

I'm using my PC for work and not even for gaming. I play games once in a while on it but that's not the main use for it. And it just did black out while I was writing this message... again!

This is very frustrating and I don't know what to do.
Here is my configuration:
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor
MSI B450-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory
Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (for data storage and games)
Western Digital Blue 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (For working on video edits and games)
Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (for the OS)
MSI Radeon RX 570 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card
Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
CPU fan Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition

I have 3 monitors:
2 X HP 24''
1 X Asus slim 27''

I was thinking thermal paste but my CPU doesn't seems to be overheating at all. It seems to spike over 60 for a couple seconds sometimes but that's about it... Also EDC seems to be over 90% most of the time and often at 95% but I really don't know what this does exactly.
Other thing that I will be checking now is Bios update and firmware update for the CPU but I really doubt this can cause this kind of crash...

Any help will be more than welcome!
Thanks!

Reactions: Suryadinata
Jun 28, 2021
Visit site
Hey Ocase, have you managed to find the solution to your problem?
I'm having the exact same issue with an AMD build as well, though my time frame for the problem seems to be quite different. Sometimes it happens after a couple minutes, sometimes it's after half an hour, sometimes whileediting video, sometimes when my computer goes to sleep and it just doesn't come back...

I'm using my PC for work and not even for gaming. I play games once in a while on it but that's not the main use for it. And it just did black out while I was writing this message... again!

This is very frustrating and I don't know what to do.
Here is my configuration:
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor
MSI B450-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory
Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (for data storage and games)
Western Digital Blue 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (For working on video edits and games)
Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (for the OS)
MSI Radeon RX 570 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card
Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
CPU fan Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition

I have 3 monitors:
2 X HP 24''
1 X Asus slim 27''

I was thinking thermal paste but my CPU doesn't seems to be overheating at all. It seems to spike over 60 for a couple seconds sometimes but that's about it... Also EDC seems to be over 90% most of the time and often at 95% but I really don't know what this does exactly.
Other thing that I will be checking now is Bios update and firmware update for the CPU but I really doubt this can cause this kind of crash...

Any help will be more than welcome!
Thanks!

I think yes, I've found the root cause. It was faulty PSU. Arranged a corsair 750w 80 gold psu and machine ran perfectly fine, temps were great. Gave the gigabyte p650b for rma. I think I'll sell my PSU and get a better one. Should not have cheaped out on PSU.

it was good, wasn't it... too good in fact, he stole it from another website and thought we wouldn't look.
I won't link source as its a test of some kind and website isn't free to use, and it isn't in English.

I mean, I answer questions on Hardware help forums and the only time you see answers like that are in articles. No one types all that out for 1 question. That and it was hardly specific, it answers everything but its like using a shotgun, you do hit the target and miss a lot too.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Brian Boru
Jul 1, 2021
Visit site
Dammit, got the issue again and I'm pretty sure it's not PSU as mine is Corsair Gold but I just noticed for the first time (it was pitch black in the room) there was a small section on the motherboard saying EZ Debug with 4 leds below it. the one above CPU was lit... I just hope that it's just a thermal paste issue and that my CPU is not fried...

TRENDING THREADS