-- Discussion -- Is 90C+ Temperatures on Gaming Laptops ok??

Mar 11, 2020
Visit site
This is more of a discussion piece than anything else, I've been looking at gaming laptops for the past several years and the vast majority of them LOVE to run CPU and GPU temperatures well into the 90C range.

What is everyone's thoughts on it? Coming from desktops and the PCMR groups, 90C is horrifyingly hot. But seems all laptop manufacturer's don't really mind the hot temps, they'd rather get performance as high as possible.

However at the same time, it seems these very high temps aren't really causing degradation, I have almost never heard of a CPU or GPU dying on one of these very hot notebooks.

Opinions?? I'd love to hear from you guys, please share below!

MaddMann

A nerd that found his place
Community Contributor
Jan 17, 2020
Visit site
Hmmm, for me personally seeing any of my hardware going over 90C for extended time (more than 10 minutes) is generally cause for alarm. I have see a lot of processors start to have issues once they reach around 95C and most systems will auto-shut off at around 100C if not earlier. Are you overclocking your PC? If not I suggest getting an external cooler (which I use on my alienware M15r2). When I run games like Destiny 2 or Division 2 at max graphics for more than about 3 hours my temps generally stay between 80-85C (which is still quite hot, but as you mentioned, laptops tend to run a bit hot)

Here is what I useHere is what I use, but I always suggest shopping around and looking at reviews.

Edit, for some reason it will not allow me to link to the cooler, but if you search Cooler Master NotePal X3 you should find it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frindis