Did I waste my money? Is it too late to go back (or downsize?) Mistakes when getting a new PC (Rant)

Jan 28, 2024
Visit site
Well, I had finally went through with getting a fancy new gaming PC a while back. I went with a custom on ibuypower, so I only had certain options available. However there were a lot of things I didn't know about or consider when it came to how much has changed since I got my last PC 10 years ago.

Like full vs mid tower cases. Computer cases have always been a general size! I wanted the pretty one but its a full tower case and I can't even carry it by myself. When I pulled it out of the box with the help of my mom, I was already hit with anxiety.

So much goes in to mounting the motherboard and everything, I'd probably take it to someone if I were to put it in a smaller case. but I don't know if all the fans will fit. I don't know if the AIO liquid cooler with the 3 fans along it's radiator is too long for mid cases. People have told me about miniature build cases, but how do they keep good airflow? tempted to ditch the case all together and leave my motherboard laying out with a fan pointed at it. I did want it to look cool, but man RGB with all these fans lights up my entire room. I have to manually shut off the RGB ram before sleep mode or else my room is lit all night (cuz it doesnt turn off in sleep??)

Apparently Deepcool AIO's have fan bearing issues too. After 5 months I already need a replacement fan (And I already feel like I need to take it to a guy to replace one fan because dealing with the roof mounted thing seems like a nightmare. If I can keep the pump plugged in while changing the fan, let me know! But of course the one I need to get to has case parts in the way...)

Some people have said my build is kinda crazy. I did spend probably like 100 more on aesthetics alone, but in the face of 2k for something I hope lasts 10+ years, that's not too wild.
Honestly my gaming load is kinda light but sometimes I feel like I need this extra power for chrome alone. I do wanna make 3d animations and renders though, so I kinda future proofed myself on performance there, even if I'm not playing high end games just yet (been too busy for games).
Sometimes I feel like people say 1k is plenty, others say 5k or bust. I dunno. It's hard to gauge needs when tech is getting unecessarily more intensive all the time. Maybe spending more (For a higher quality part) is worth it for future proofing. But my last one I got for $720 was bottom of the barrel parts at the time, and look how it lasted me! But i know they "don't make em like they used to"..

Anyway though, I'm not sure if I'm just too anxious being met with more things I didn't consider or expect of a new PC, or if I was a total idiot and should've just upgraded my current one (however theres no way a gpu would survive an inch above the power supply in this case.. if those long ones these days would fit in it at all.)

Writing this from my previous windows 7 because the fan bearing is too loud to bear while I await the replacement doesn't help, since I'm reminded how much I love this PC (and windows 7 over 11...)

Maybe the anxiety will pass as I start to learn my new build better. But if anyone has insight on what can go into a mid tower case, or how to get buff enough to lift this one, I'd love to hear that. I don't know, it feels like I get in over my head sometimes which is harder to deal with when money you don't really have is involved. Not everyone who goes custom PC routes should have to be an expert on every part, but sometimes there's just so much to consider it's easy to miss things. Even apparently seemingly obvious ones.
Hope the rant is ok, obviously a lot of it is lack of understanding on my own part, and anxiety coming from money, and even feeling guilty to get something nice for myself when my old pc still works in most programs "well enough."
It's definitely a good and beautiful looking PC, but so much about all of it makes me so anxious it can just be stressful.

Reactions: Brian Boru
what are specs?

Do you have a link?

Apparently Deepcool AIO's have fan bearing issues too. After 5 months I already need a replacement fan (And I already feel like I need to take it to a guy to replace one fan because dealing with the roof mounted thing seems like a nightmare. If I can keep the pump plugged in while changing the fan, let me know! But of course the one I need to get to has case parts in the way...)

its likely you need to remove AIO from case to replace fans. I can't tell for sure without photos, (if you take them, upload to imgur and show links here) as it depends where its mounted.

Problem with no case is dust. Cases at least stop it getting into everything as easy.

Big cases have advantages, can fit bigger cards into them, I thought mine was too big at first until I replaced my GPU and suddenly, if I hadn't gotten a big case, it wouldn't have fit so easily or at all.
TQ9Doyz.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024
Visit site
the 3 fan deepcool AIO is roof mounted, so I probably do have to take it out.. or hopefully I won't yank around the cables too much to just move it enough to fiddle with the cables and unscrew the fan. But man, what a beefy card you got there! I guess if they keep going bigger, I definitely future proofed myself on size...
And fair point on the dust. I have the NZXT H9 flow and those mesh coverings over the air intake areas are no joke. Almost no dust accumulation with those in there.
I wasn't sure if 10 fans in a PC was overkill too but im surprised how easily hot the processor gets sometimes, and its already kinda noisy. if I downsize, I worry I'd have to run less fans but at a higher rpm.. again seems like a give and take with each decision.

Are the AIO fans RGB? Its possible they all wired together so replacing one while in case may not be possible.
My 3 AIO fans are all wired together on radiator so I only have to plug one cable for power and one for RGB into motherboard. But it means that if I had to replace one I would possibly need to take them all off.

Do you have a link to build? I can see what I can find on fan replacements. Or just model of deepcool AIO will do.

i have 10 fans myself but I can't hear any of them.
3 on AIO as intake
2 exhausts
3 on GPU
1 on PSU
1 on AIO pump.

My PC is so quiet that some nights the only thing I can hear in my room is bubbles popping in a soft drink I am drinking at time. That is unless its fans need a clean. I keep forgetting to do it. Maybe this weekend.

Maybe you could use a program like this to reduce speed of fans when you not playing games, as they don't need to always be running fast
mine never run full speed unless I am playing a game

I hit the green switch under each fan and disable the control in games to let fans run faster
fqFW4W5.jpg

My AIO fans make a rubbing noise if I let them run over 1100, so I have them only run as high as 1000.

Last edited:
  • Love
Which one does it look like?

it shouldn't be 720 as you didn't mention AIO having 6 fans.
Apparently Deepcool AIO's have fan bearing issues too. After 5 months I already need a replacement fan

what is wrong with the fan?
I see people replacing them but no one shows how to do it. Most replace its fans with the ones I have already.

Included with the DeepCool LD360 is a cable with a 4-pin connector on one end and with three other connectors daisy chained together. This cable connects the three fans together, meaning only one 4-pin connector is required. The cable is just long enough to connect the three fans connector.

if its anything like this video you might be fine, 1.30 in shows how fans wired up. I wish mine like that
a6qHzpS.jpeg

too easy, Just unclip the one that is replaced and unscrew all the 4 screws to take it out. Mine... I probably need to rewire them a little.

I like that idea... I might need new AIO in next PC... hmmm.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts